Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a bill pending in U.S. Congress called the 21st Century Cures Act that would drastically weaken the scientific rigor required for the approval of medications and vaccines.

I was thinking recently about the word "cures" in the name.

From a strictly financial standpoint, a cured customer is a lost customer.

When was the last time that you heard of a pharmaceutical product or other medical treatment that was an actual cure instead of a vaccine or something to treat a chronic condition?

And I'm posting all of this while taking for granted that we're mature adults who don't calls others "conspiracy theorists" simply because they point out corporate corruption or questionable market incentives.

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
9,078 Posts
The only thing that can cure is the body itself, it is designed to do just that, it can be assisted in that process with various modalities. Pharmaceuticals merely address and supress symptoms which are the body's mechanism for healing, these symptoms are not diseases in themselves.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
As Benjamin Franklin once said "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

In response to your OP, a very recent example are the drugs Sovaldi and Harvoni which can cure Hepatitis C 90% of the time with one pill a day taken for 12 weeks. It is a very expensive drug (around 1 thousand dollars a pill) but that is exponentially less that what it would cost to treat the disease long term.

Reactions: Deborah

·
Registered
8,851 Posts
Cure is weird word.

Many diseases do not have cures. They might have drugs that support healing, or bring relief to symptoms, but not cure.

When we had the recent outbreak of measles, certain groups were screaming "there is no cure for measles" as if this was relevant or surprising. For 999/1000 (or more) you get measles and you get over it all on your own - occasionally with the help of antibiotics if you develop a secondary infection, but that is it. Just like the flu, chicken pox, cold, pertussis and most other acute diseases.

Of course, there has been a huge surge in chronic diseases, and they have no cures.

Oh, and on topic.....I read a blog the other day where someone speculated that tptb are not interested in declaring a disease gone or close to gone...as that is not in favour of Pharma's bottom line. The goal is to make your self look great, but to still keep the vaccine look essential to health.

Reactions: applejuice

·
Registered
18,831 Posts
There's a bill pending in U.S. Congress called the 21st Century Cures Act that would drastically weaken the scientific rigor required for the approval of medications and vaccines.

I was thinking recently about the word "cures" in the name.

From a strictly financial standpoint, a cured customer is a lost customer.

When was the last time that you heard of a pharmaceutical product or other medical treatment that was an actual cure instead of a vaccine or something to treat a chronic condition?

And I'm posting all of this while taking for granted that we're mature adults who don't calls others "conspiracy theorists" simply because they point out corporate corruption or questionable market incentives.

What are your thoughts?
Physical therapy can and often does "cure" as in restore full function or close enough to full-function to make life normal.

Certain surgeries, if they work correctly, can also restore close to full function. I'm think stuff like joint replacement or sorting out injuries following an automobile accident or other type of injury.

There are some medicines that can allow the body to pull itself back together and heal. Antibiotics (although it is clear they can cause all sorts of problems) and similar drugs.

But pharma does love chronic illness. How much money does one asthmatic bring in over their lifetime? https://www.aafa.org/display.cfm?id=6&sub=63

And the incidence is rising, despite our air quality generally being better. I wonder why?

Reactions: applejuice
1 - 6 of 6 Posts