Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We swim at the gym each weekend, and usually spent a few minutes in the hot tub. Is it safe to get in just for a couple minutes if I dont get hot, or should I stay out all togther? Its pretty hot. I dont let my 15 month in since its too hot.

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
I might be wrong.. but I was pretty sure hot tubs were totally off limits since an increase in body temperature like that can cause miscarraige or preterm labor.

·
Registered
553 Posts
My midwife (and my google searching) pretty much says, yes, stay out during the first trimester. After that, you should get out if you start getting warm, but birth defects been directly linked to hot tub use in the first tri.

·
Registered
7,527 Posts
My advice to women is this:

In order for your core body temp to get high enough that you'll hurt the baby, you will have felt it and probably gotten out long before. 15 minutes is fine. Stay hydrated. When you feel your pulse begin to race, or if you feel dizzy, get out and just keep your legs in.

Like everything else in this country, there is such a fear of being sued that everything has become black & white and pregnant women are treated like children. Common sense always applies, but I think this issue (and the soft cheese/deli meat issue) is so overblown.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I would get in my moms hot tub, but I turned it down to 98 degrees. It was still hot enough to feel great, but I wasn't getting TOO HOT.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I went to some hot springs in my second tri in Costa Rica. I kept my belly out as much as I could. DH gave me piggy back rides through the hottest pools. Sometimes I submerged my belly but I kept the time periods short and took open air breaks, which cooled me down.

It felt so great on my back!!

hh

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If it was my own hot tub, I'd just turn it down, but this one is pretty hot, which is why i dont even let my youngest in it.
Last time I went in, I didnt even stay in 15 min, more like 3 or 4.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I asked my OB this last week since we own a hot tub. He said I shouldn't use it. He said yes, if I used it I shouldn't stay in more than 10-15 minutes and it should be at a lower temp (98 or so) but he said the main issue at this point (I'm 31 weeks) is risk of infection. He said that most hot tubs aren't cleaned that often (ours is every 2 months or so) and though we put chemicals in to kill off bacteria, that an infection is still a major risk factor at this point (I guess the cervix could start to open soon?) He said to just take a nice warm bath - since the water is fresh, and will start to cool off shortly after I get in, it's a better bet.

Anyway, since I only have a few weeks left, I haven't been in. I'm sure it would really help my hip and knee pain - but I can wait a few more weeks. I never thought about the infection issue (just the too hot water) so I grudgingly will wait

ETA: I just wanted to say that this is a very down-to-earth OB. He hasn't really given me too many "limitations" in any of my pregnancies, so I was kind of surprised at his response to the hot tub.

Michelle

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wouldnt think that infection would be a concern for your own private hot tub. I guess that may be an issue with a public one, but your own personal one, with only you and your family in it? I wouldnt worry about that.

When I was pregnant the first time, my grandma freaked out when she found out I went swimming pregnant. She said I would get a nasty infection!
Swimming is a wonderful exercise for the hugely pregnant and I have never heard of anyone getting an infection from swimming. I dont plan to limit my swimming because of this.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
does that apply for hot baths too? during my 1st trimester i accidentally took hot baths a couple of times (i didnt realize they were so hot till i got out and my body was red) for about 10 mins each. now im afraid my bby girl has defects...
help!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I go to the gym all the time too and I went to get in to the hot tub and my mother Stopped me, she said I shouldnt go in because i can cook the baby. best was i can explain in would be think of you tummy like a chickens egg put it in a hot tub just for a few minutes and then see how much it cooked. then think of it as the water doesnt but you but you would be cooking your baby. that was enough to scare the crap out of me and I wont go near a hot tub now no matter what the temputer I wont evan take a bath. but that just me I'd rather be safe then sorry.... Thats my idvice to you

·
Registered
425 Posts
I think taking this to baths is too far...the water cools off pretty rapidly in a bathtub. A hot tub is insulated and engineered to *not* cool off quickly, hence the *potential* issue. My OB suggested baths as an alternative to the hot tub because it would (a) help my hips (b) allow me to relax and (c) not harm the baby at all. So while I'm not doing the hot tub right now I have taken a few baths. Although as I'm the size of a beached whale I'm not as comfortable in the bath tub as I would be in the hot tub :LOL I'm dealing with it!

Go, enjoy your bath!

Michelle

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mara
Pam answered it, but I was going to say yes. We do scare women to death in this country, every little thing they do, it seems, will potentially kill or maim their unborn. Sad really.

Hear hear. Makes you wonder how babies were ever born healthy back in the day.

A woman's body can hardly be compared to a chicken egg - eggs can't regulate their own temperature and their shells are extremely thin. Not comparable at all to a living human body.

Exercise raises your body temperature too, and many women exercise during pregnancy. As long as you're not feeling faint or sick, I wouldn't worry.

I found one study from 1992 that found an increased risk of neural tube defects in women who reported hot-tub use (but NOT sauna use or being in a hot bath) IN THE FIRST TRIMESTER ONLY. However, the study doesn't say how long the women were in a hot tub or how many times they used a hot tub, or how "hot" the hot tubs were.

Couldn't find any other accessible studies, although I did see one from 2004 that found no increased risk for heart defects due to a hot tub, hot bath, or sauna.

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LandonsMommy
I go to the gym all the time too and I went to get in to the hot tub and my mother Stopped me, she said I shouldnt go in because i can cook the baby. best was i can explain in would be think of you tummy like a chickens egg put it in a hot tub just for a few minutes and then see how much it cooked. then think of it as the water doesnt but you but you would be cooking your baby. that was enough to scare the crap out of me and I wont go near a hot tub now no matter what the temputer I wont evan take a bath. but that just me I'd rather be safe then sorry.... Thats my idvice to you
if it would cook your baby like a chicken egg (by the way, your baby is nothing like a chicken egg) then why wouldn't it cook your body like a chicken egg? Your baby is just a little body, a body essentially made up just like yours. It has a very sophisticated system of temperature regulation. This analogy makes no sense. Please erase it from your memory.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts