Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought some used FB size large from a friend, and they have leaked two times in a row around the legs on my 2 year old (and just now leaking a little poop too, DH tells me). The second time I know for sure that the insert was not full, it was dry at the back and did not feel very heavy. My son is a lean little guy and I had to snap the diaper as small as it would go (in fact the two middle snaps cross over each other), so I am thinking maybe it is a fit issue, but they could also be repelling. They were used and washed every other day for about a year and a half. The outside of the covers look great, but the fleece looks worn and pilled. My son probably weighs about 30 pounds. Any thoughts from experienced mamas on which it is?

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Based on what you've described, it really could be either one, I think. The fit does vary, but for my ds1, he's about 29 lbs I think and he still fits great in the medium...so it could be it's just not quite the right fit.<br><br>
You could try stripping the diapers just to see if it makes a difference. To strip, I turn my hot water heater up (carefully!), put a squirt of Dawn in the machine and wash wash wash on hot until there are no more bubbles when I open the machine. I have an old top loader, so you might want to use a different techinque if you have an HE Front loader.<br><br>
I wasn't sure from reading - did you use them at all without leaks? If so, I wonder if it could be your washing routine or detergent? What are you using?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just got them today, so these were the first few times I used them. My friend who sold them to me used only Charlie's Soap to wash them and hung them to dry (other than the inserts). I think I read somewhere else that in addition to the fleece layer repelling, the inserts themselves can repel also. So I guess really there are three potential issues. I think tomorrow I will try using one of these diapers with a brand new insert, and then try stripping. However, my friend just stopped using these diapers a few months ago, and I think she would have noticed if they had been causing leaks for her daughter. So I am thinking fit is the most likely explanation. Thanks so much for helping me troubleshoot -- I am new to CD and will probably have lots of questions until I find what works for us and get into a routine.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, it seems to be a fit issue -- when I go to change him the elastic is loose around his legs, meaning I can't get a snug enough fit at the waist to keep it from sagging. Plus wing droop. We are not always having trouble with leaks, but this certainly not the best fitting diaper for him. Thanks for the tip on Knickernappies on the other thread -- I will have to check those out.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I have mediums for my 20 lbs 16 month old and they leak horribly in the legs unless they're double stuffed. It drives me insane!

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
i don't know if it helps but large fuzzi bunz on my 30lb 22month old are still pretty big around the thighs and belly. i bought one because mediums are getting too small and they leaked straight away because they were not fitting well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts