Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to be a midwife. I am training to be a doula firrst, then a midwife's assistant and then on to midwifery school. Do you think that a distance learning program for either of the latter will be less effective than an on site program? Has anyone here done a distance learning program for midwifery? What did you think?

·
Registered
717 Posts
Hi,
I am planning on attending MCU (Midwives College of Utah) next year. MCU does have a distance education program. They are a degree granting institution and are accredited. The program would prepare you to take Narm and you would have to find a preceptorship in your area. HTH

Marilyn

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
if you can find a midwife to apprentice with near where you live then that is an advantage to distance learning -- one of the problems with going to a school is uprooting your entire family to live somewhere while you are in school and how do you afford that- and then how do you re-intergrate going back home. I think schools can offer many ideas and theory that you may not get from a single practioner-- many midwives who learn in fast paced schools is that when it comes down to marketing and doing everything at a local pace it takes a different set of skills and you have a different set of clients--- for instance I live in a city and getting a good parametic to the door probably takes 15 minutes-- in a rural area it can take 1/2 hr to hrs and the folks who get to the door may know very little about birth and newborns-- knowing how to deal with things like this and the pace of when to self transfer and what to recommend to transfer is different.. KWIM

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
getting the preceptor was always a problem for me; in 30 years of living in VA I never lived in an area that had one. So for 20 years, I have self educated, become a doula, a CBE, and trained in TN as a midwife assistant, and we STILL (thank you Jesus!) had to move to another state so I can find someone who will mentor me, and be preceptor. The bookwork is one thing, I read all the time, but finding someone to validate and verify (and correct, if need be) my clinical skills, not to mention the numbers I need, has been very frustrating and is the primary reason why I have never done distance Learning. I first considered it seriously in 1983, and talked to Carla Hartley (AAMI) but couldnt' find a preceptor. There simply wasnt' one. Nor when I moved to another part of VA 3 years later...that was even worse! They still knocked women out for the birth if it was requested, and it was!! (South Boston Hospital, South Boston VA) That is when I had my UC....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.