Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

Has anyone had this happen?

A lot of us had to work late last week so my company ordered pizza. I was really busy so a co-worker offered to bring me a slice but wanted to know what kind:

ME: I'll just have breadsticks.
Co-Worker: No, really, what kind of pizza?
ME: Breadsticks are fine.
Co-Worker: Come on…
ME: Okay, I'll have a pepperoni
Co-Worker: (Questionable look) That baby isn't going to like pepperoni, how about I bring you a vegetable pizza?
ME: (Thinking: how about you bring me what you think I should eat?)

Sunday I had a tennis match and the other team brought homemade cupcakes. I went for one and someone remarked, "Have only one now."

I kind of laugh because now that I'm showing it's like there's a vested interest in what I eat. Never mind that I eat very well so, no, I don't feel guilty about having the occasional indulgence… especially if I'm about to kill myself playing tennis for two hours in the heat! So yeah, I had one cupcake before my match and another one afterwards…

yummmm

·
Registered
976 Posts
Wow, that would piss me off!
: I haven't had any comments yet, except from my dad at like 11 weeks who told me I couldnt just gain freely as he shoved chocolate cake in his face!

·
Registered
739 Posts
That was have bothered me too.

I haven't really had any comments like that yet. At the beginning of my pregnancy it was more along the lines of me needing to eat small meals more frequently because I was losing weight and I started this pregnancy underweight.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
because I have been so sick with both my pregnancies... people just say things like 'It is good to see you EATING!' ... they don't even care what
My hyperemesis with my first and my long, long 'morning' sickness with this one have skewed what people expect from me with regards to what I eat. LOL!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Oooh, that would annoy me!
This past weekend I was away with some friends and my bag was basically filled with snacks and water and I kept up a steady stream of eating pretty much the whole time

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
That's annoying! I would be pissed if someone was trying to make me feel bad for what I wanted to eat while pregnant!

Really, I have no clue if ppl are watching what I am eating. I have hyperemesis while I am pregnant, so basically my attitude if someone is going to be daft enough to make a judgemental comment about my eating habits while pregnant would probably be to tell the person to take their opinion and shove it. My mil made a comment about me drinking iced tea this wknd, she asked my DH, "Why isn't she drinking hot tea, cold tea is bad for her." Luckily, my DH said, "Well, it's HOT in here!" She thinks that b/c she said it in Korean, I wouldn't understand, but then my mil has a crappy habit of criticizing my food choices all of the time, and she thinks that she can say it right in front of me in Korean, but it is so obvious she is talking about me when I am sitting right there. This is the same woman who ordered some sort of heavy cream soup and ranch dressing for her salad, so I feel like she shouldn't really judge me about how, "healthy" my choices are...

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
If someone said that to me I would let them know what kind of bodily harm they could come to by second guessing my food choices. It really doesn't get much ruder.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I work with a woman who is due the same day as me and I always feel like she is the one judging what I eat. Somedays it gets me more than others. I eat pretty well but she usually has some comment to make.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
The only things I've gotten have been things like people trying to offer me second helpings/larger pieces of whatever. Except it's usually things like my birthday cake or other sweets, like I need extra of those things! And general amusement at how I always seem to have some kind of food I'm carrying around. I have a small body type so I think people think I should be eating way more. It hasn't bothered me, though I have the feeling I may get a few doozies next month when I'm touring with my choir and we'll all be basically living together.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Nobody really says anything about what I eat. My dad does however make sure to let me know that he does not approve when I drink caffein at his house, which I think is funny because he drinks a 12 pack of diet pepsi a day. I figure he is trying to look out for me.

·
Registered
128 Posts
What is killing me is working with my midwife. Now I understand it is out of love and caring, but she is always hampering me TO eat. This will be in the middle of clinic when we are double booked and scrambling like crazed rabbits. In these moments, shoveling 80 grams of protein and a gallon of water down my gullet are the last things on my mind. It is pretty nerve-racking when we go out to eat at the end of the day as well. Whether she is or not, I always feel like she is sizing up what I order for its nutritional value. Bah...The problem with knowing ones care provider a little TOO well.

·
Registered
441 Posts
You're very nice. I probably would have punched him/her (and I'm not a violent person).

Or (being that I AM an outspoken person) I would have said...Hmmm, I think I know what the baby wants, so why don't you JUST BRING IT TO ME...NOW!

How dare someone interfere w/ what a pregnant woman wants to eat. That should be illegal.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I've had people try to argue with me about the fact that I am not craving sweets. My mom wants me to buy Ho-Hos (nasty, I won't eat them when NOT pregnant) and just eat them like a meal. "That's what I did when I was pregnant!", she says.

My sweet MIL bought a box of donuts for me (I didn't know) before I went over to visit her one day, and when she offered them to me I was like, "Gross! I don't like donuts." She said she craved sweets all through her pregnancies. I didn't have the heart to tell her or my mother that it was probably because they didn't eat enough protein.

My husband watches what I eat, but not in an annoying way. He basically just asks for protein count most days from me (I also just started writing it on a chart on the fridge...Bradley classes), and advocates for me when we eat at friends' houses. He will tell them that they can make whatever as long as it contains protein and no shellfish or dairy (I'm allergic to both).

So yeah, probably the most annoying is people pushing sweets on me. I think they think I'm trying to be "good," but I really just don't want sweet things most of the time. I made a batch of chocolate chip cookies the other day and I ate ONE. I made DH bring the rest to work because I just didn't want to look at them anymore.

·
Premium Member
6,630 Posts
No one has really said anything about something I eat.. I think they all just keep an eye on me to make sure I'm not smoking and drinking

·
Registered
441 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alicewyf View Post
I've had people try to argue with me about the fact that I am not craving sweets. My mom wants me to buy Ho-Hos (nasty, I won't eat them when NOT pregnant) and just eat them like a meal. "That's what I did when I was pregnant!", she says.
I bought a box of them when I was just barely pregnant, thinking they sounded REALLY good. OMG. I almost gagged they were so gross! Totally NOT what I remembered them being!

Sorry, I got a little off topic there.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Oh yeah, I am feeling very surveilled by everyone at work. My eating habits are very interesting to them anyway since I am vegan. There are 2 vegetarians on the floor so it's not as bad as at my last workplace.

Now that I am pregnant, they actually comment all the time. I have gained 14 lbs at 24 weeks, and I work out 5 times a week. Half of them comment on how much I am eating (my lunch is the same as it always was, I just add a mid afternoon snack now) and the other half think I am some sort of saint for not hitting the vending machine every 5 minutes.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alicewyf View Post
Ho-Hos?!
I'm right there with you NOT finding sweets appetizing while pregnant. I can eat them now that I'm over the nausea, but I'd rather eat something salty anyday!

·
Registered
948 Posts
I thinkI wuld have to hand someone thier rear end in multiplue pieces if they tried to tell me what to eat or how many cupcakes?!!!!!

That is what i hav eto say to them !! PTHTHTHTHTHTHH!

LOL

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.