Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
DS is self-feeds and I'm not concerned about choking. His gag reflex is very effective at bringing back forward anything he doesnt want to or cannot swallow. PLus carrot sticks are great for teething. He does eat steamed carrots sometimes. itty bitty pieces are much more challenging for children to self-feed themselves.

Furthermore, I am CPR instructor for the Red Cross, know what to do in the case that he choked, and always supervise him closely while eating.

Carrot sticks are no different than anything else he eats. He eats whatever we do. He's been doing this since 6 months and has never had a problem.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Grated apples and carrots are both some of the first foods my kids ate. Really ripe pears are another good one...when they are super ripe, you can literally scoop it out with a spoon.

Not to be argumentative, but just because one knows what to do for a choking victim, it doesn't mean that it is always successful in saving a life. If a baby has 4 front teeth, they can bite off a piece of carrot or apple. Aside from choking on it and having an airway blocked, they can also aspirate a piece into their lung. If that happens, it needs to be removed or there is a risk of pneumonia. I have been CPR (infant/child/adult)/First Aid Certified for 20 years (in child care licensed by the state of CA), and we have always been told that prevention is the first line of defense. I wouldn't let my child have anything that could be a choking hazard just because I knew what to do if he choked. That would sort of be like letting them play too close to the pool, because if they started to drown, I could just do CPR.

I am hardly a worry-wart type of mom, nor am I over-protective. I have 9 kids, and we have had our share of stitches, broken bones and surgeries. I do watch out for obvious hazards though.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JamieBrewHa View Post
DS is self-feeds and I'm not concerned about choking. His gag reflex is very effective at bringing back forward anything he doesnt want to or cannot swallow. PLus carrot sticks are great for teething. He does eat steamed carrots sometimes. itty bitty pieces are much more challenging for children to self-feed themselves.

Furthermore, I am CPR instructor for the Red Cross, know what to do in the case that he choked, and always supervise him closely while eating.

Carrot sticks are no different than anything else he eats. He eats whatever we do. He's been doing this 6 months and has never had a problem.
Has your baby really been eating raw carrots since he was 3 months old?

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Raw veggies and fruit are harder to digest. They both give me a tummy ache and I am old.
I would try the grated and see if he likes it and if it agrees with him. But, I agree about the prevention aspect wildthing mentions. I would not give carrot sticks or slices of apples to a toddler. I've had a choking scare with my dd#1 and it was frightening, to say the least. And, I was right there.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
My kids liked carrots and apples when they were babies/toddlers. We usually have steamed baby carrots for dinner, and I would cut a few in thirds once they were soft (but not mushy) for them. I also would core/slice an apple with one of those push down core-er slicer things. I would eat 6 slices myself
, then knife-peel the skin off of the other 2, cut into 6 peices and drop into boiling water for a min or 2. This would make the apples soft enough to eat but firm enough to handle. I would put them on a saucer with an ice cube to cool them quickly beofre giving to baby,
HTH

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
DD adored chewing on carrots before she had teeth--they were basically flavored teethers for her. I stopped giving them to her after she got some teeth (at 11 months) because I was afraid she'd choke. Raw apples we would put in one of those mesh baby feeders.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wildthing View Post
Has your baby really been eating raw carrots since he was 3 months old?
I dont think I ever said he's been eating raw carrots since 3 months old. I did say I've been giving them to him since he was 6 months old. He loves gnawing on them and now does eat quite a bit of it.

ETA - I'm sorry there was a typo in my post. He's been doing this SINCE 6 months. Will edit original post. So certainly, no he hasn't been doing that since 3 months. You may think I am off my rocker, but I am not THAT off my rocker

Of course being trained what to do in case of an emergency is not a reason not prevent it. I understand that and certainly did not mean to say that is what I thought.

I honestly don't believe carrots are a very big choking hazard for a child who is being supervised sitting upright in a high chair. When any object (including a piece of carrot) gets too far back and DS is not able to or does not want to eat it, he gags it up. Gagging - which is very different from choking. Choking only occurs when a child cannot cough, cry, or breath. I often hear people referring to their child of having a choking incident when truly their child was gagging. Choking is actually not that common. And I'm sorry but the chances of my child aspirate a piece of carrot are about as likely as most other foods that he self-feeds.

:

·
Registered
826 Posts
They were always a choking hazard for both my kids. I never thought of grating them... that may lessen the possibility of choking, but sticks or whole pieces were really dangerous for us unless it was steamed and both of my kids were self-feeding on only homemade foods.

·
Premium Member
5,156 Posts
I was told today that apples can cause some babes to become constipated much like bananas--does anyone know if this is true? It seems like there is a lot more fiber in an apple (an apple a day, right?) so it seemed weird, but just wanted to throw it out there.... perhaps something to watch out for?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.