Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My oldest daughter just got in her 6 year molars. At her check-up last week, the dentist was really pushing for her to get sealants. I tried to research to see if they're safe, but am not having much luck getting info.

So, I knew my pals at Mothering would have the scoop.....

Thanks for any help, info and opinions on sealants.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
The vast majority of sealants contain Bis-GMA (bisphenol-A), which is a hormone disruptor. This is most harmful to a developing fetus when the mother gets sealants, but it's not a healthy substance for anyone.

However, if the sealants are going to prevent cavities, then overall, they may be a good thing.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by janellesmommy
The vast majority of sealants contain Bis-GMA (bisphenol-A), which is a hormone disruptor.
Not the brands used in the US.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
i had sealants put in when i was 12. i have 1 (porcelain?) filling (the cavity formed in a spot not covered by the sealant) but i also learned that some of my sealants have fallen out - to redo or not redo... so at least i haven't had long term exposure to amalgam fillings AND i still have all my teeth.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I asked our Pediatric Dentist for a list of materials in the sealants, and bisphenol-A was an ingredient. That really surprised me, and I declined the sealants for my child.
However, they were still planning to apply them at the next visit and my child had to speak up!
:
Our dentist is great, but, I've never been comfortable with the policy of "no parents allowed after the first visit".
Sorry to digress, but, that's our (no) sealant story.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.