Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are making chore charts and dh and I were trying to come up with some for our 25 month dd. We have her picking up her toys and cleaning her room, with help, of course. Are there any household chores your dc like to do?

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
My 33 month old:

-- puts her dishes in the sink after a meal (throws them but they are plastic)
-- washes her hands and face after a meal in the bathroom, with her stepstool
-- puts her clothes in the hamper
-- puts her toys in her room (then I put them away)
-- helps in the kitchen (like today she helped put toppings on our pizza)
-- lets the cat in and out
-- helps me wipe stuff down with a sponge. not terribly effective but has fun while I clean the bathroom.
-- sweeps and mops with her own mini ones, again not very effective but she has fun
-- helps me clean the mouse cage by putting the shavings in there and filling their food dish
-- waters our houseplants with her little watering can

I think at 25 mos. I just had her helping me put her things away after she played with them, like putting her blocks in the bin, putting her animals in their basket, etc.

Darshani

·
Registered
556 Posts
My dd is 17 months old and she likes to "help". Whenever she sees me doing some work around the house she runs after me saying "helping? helping?" and I have to find some way for her to participate. She enjoys: helping me put the groceries away (she actually does help because she takes them out of the bag and I don't have to bend down), helping put laundry away, "sweep", put her toys away, and put her wet diaper in the diaper pail. Another word she says a lot is "back". She likes to put things back where they belong. And then she thanks herself!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Ds is one--so he has 1 job. He feeds the fish every day after breakfast--in fact his first sentence was "feed fish" (just last week--so I'm still excited). He also "helps" clean up if he spills something and (when he's in the mood of course) he picks up his own toys.

·
Registered
11,527 Posts
Ds mainly helps when I do things around the house. He add detergent to the washer and helps put clothes in, he helps put clothes in the dryer, throws things in the trash and helps me put his toys away. He also loves to help me cook.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Ds1 (2.5) helps with all the household duties. We had him helping once he could stand on his own. The ways in which he helps have changed as he has gotten older, plus we just got a dishwasher (YAY) so now he helps load that instead of helping wash the dishes. He actually ENJOYS scrubbing the toilet, is great at wiping and washing, loves to load the washer and dryer, enjoys cooking and baking, insists on doing the vacuuming, and enthusiastically puts things "away" (although his idea of where they belong often leaves us searching LOL). Things are not as clean as they could be, but we figure developing a habit of contributing to the well-being of the household is more important then a streak free mirror and a crumb free table. That is what works for our family

Laurie

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Dd wants to do everything herself. All day long "I do it I do it I do it. Since she was born I've made cleaning up and other household tasks into games, so she's been an active participant since she could pull things out of the dishwasher.

She cleans up, but if I "help", she has to undo what I did and "I do it."

Like tonight, she ran into the living room and found me finishing putting her blocks away. She dumped out the whole bag and started over.

She must clean her own potty. She must put her own poopers into the toilet. If I do it, she looks like she'll jump into the toilet to get them out.

Things take forever, but unless it is greatly inconvenient or dangerous, I will not squelch this budding desire to take initiative help out.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
DD unloads the bottom rack of the dishwasher and then closes the door and starts it when I'm done loading. She sweeps and mops(also not ver effective lol) she picks up her toys and helps DS pick up the living room at the end of the day. She's 22 mos.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts