Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently bought our first horse. She is an 18 year old Arab mare, grey, about 14 or so hands tall. The people who owned before us had really neglected her, so I have got a lot of work ahead of me. HEr hooves need trimmed, and she is dirty and her mane is still fairly matted. I have been cutting it away a little bit at a time.

One of the 1st things I have learned is that there are horse people, and then there are HORSE
people. That has been an experiance all in itself !

I don't know how to ride, and really I don't know as I care if I get on her back anytime soon. I am more concerned with getting her condition back to healthy and normal as opposed to dirty, hungry and in need of care.

Also, here is my question of the day in regards to horse care:

What is your best, favorite method for cleaning out a stall ? I have only had the horse since the 7th of this month, and I am feeling like I may be doing it all wrong somehow.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I grew up with horses and have ridden and showed them more than 20 something years so I guess I am horse
. I also have an Arab but he is about 24 and is mostly retired. So on to your question..... Get yourself a manure fork and pick the "apples" out daily. Use a shovel to clean the pee daily. Once in a while I scrape down the whole stall and take every thing out. Make sure that there are lots of fresh shavings down so that the horse is not standing in mud or muck. Please feel free to ask me any questions. Jen

·
Registered
158 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Avonlea
What is your best, favorite method for cleaning out a stall ? I have only had the horse since the 7th of this month, and I am feeling like I may be doing it all wrong somehow.

Oh and my FAVORITE method is to pay someone else to do it.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been having to replace most of her shaivngs everyday, because she makes a huge damn mess in the stall. She seems to poop and then scatter it by walking about quite a bit in the stall. I put her out in the pasture everyday, and only keep her stlled up at night because it is so rainy and cold..

Yeah, paying someone else to clean it is sounding right tempting today ! As it is right now I need to go out and replace ALL of her bedding amterial, and hose the stall down. I just feel like somehow it should work out smoother..but maybe it is just that I need to get the hang of it.

A friend of mine told me that some horses are clean and some are mssy, it seems I have gotten a messy horse. I had no idea...lol

And the
HORSE
people I have met..they are SCARY to me !!

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Get this If you don't own a future fork get thee to the nearest tack store or tractor supply. You'll do much better with that. Next you are using shavings. My favorite bedding choice. My mare was a shit stirrer too.
Think of the stall as a giant litter box. First, for a 12x12 stall I used 2 bags of shavings. Ok so go for the poo piles and sift them much like a litter scoop. The clean shavings will fall through and you'll be left with the poo on the fork. Throw that in the muck bucket/cart. Keep doing that until the poo is gone. Then find the pee spot. Try to sort the cleaner shavings away and just get rid of that whole area. I had to add a whole bag maybe once every 4 days.

And yes, horse people can be quite freaky

·
Registered
794 Posts
I am a horse lover for sure and do not have a horse. I have helped take care of them in the past. I would get some diatomaceous earth to give to your horse daily to help keep her system clean. Older horses probably cannot tolerate wormers too well.. Also cleaning out the stall may be easier with good absorbant material that does not cling to her hoofs. Is she shod? You can soak her feet in some water with apple cider vinegar in it to soothe them. Also feed her some acv in her water too. It is great to keep parasites at a minimum.

Also get her on a good diet. I would try a holistic vet too to prescribe her a nutritious diet with a little supplementation to get her back in condition. The manuer is also a good compost. You can even sell it to people.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
I
horses. Sorry no advice---I just rode, never had to do the real work. How wonderful that you rescued her, and I'm so glad she now has a caring owner!!! ITA, some horse people are really far out there!

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I don't like cleaning stalls. My horses have 24 hour turn out, unless they are ill (which it sounds ike your horse would qualify for). The one time I did have a horse in a stall was after a major surgery. I used the same method everyone else has said here. But usually I just blanket and leave them turned out. As for the mane, I'd grab a pair of clippers and shave the whole thing off if she'll let you. Then it'll grow back nice and healthy.
you're doing a wonderful thing, you know!

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The scary horse people are the ones who seem very obsessed and to me,overboard,with horses. Kind of like they exsist soley (sp?) to care for the horse and THIER WAY is the only way. Also known as the type who feed the horse before they feed thier kids or buy tack for the horse over shoes for themselves..etc. And if you don't care for your horse the way thy care for theirs then they look at you as if you are E-VIL and don't deserve to suck air at the same time as they do. Luckily I have only met a weee tiny handful of these types, because they are SCARY !

I want to buzz her mane but since she hasn't been touched for years and we are just getting to know one another I am a bit apprehensive.

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
Personally I really like bedding horses on peat moss. It makes cleanup much simpler (IMHO) as wet peat all comes up in one big scoop full and dry peat sifts through the fork way easier so you can use a thinner tined fork without loosing most of your bedding on a daily basis. And the ultimate reason for using peat.....you can then sell your manure pile!!!! We have a bunch of different people who come out and bag the manure and peat mixture and pay us $5.00 a bag for it for their gardens. Doesn't sound like much, but this spring we made $480 off our winter manure. You need 2 or 3 bags of peat to start the stall and then usually about a 1/2 bag per week after that.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I don't have any stall mucking advice, I'm kind of ashamed to say that I've never cleaned a stall in my life. My boys are boarded and usually on 24/7 turnout, so I haven't had much opportunity, but jeez, I'm feeling like a total wimp all of a sudden
I just wanted to congratulate you on your new girl!! It sounds like she's found a great new home. I agree with buzzing her mane if you can manage it. I personally love a roached mane. If its just too much for her, a mane detangler like Cowboy Magic works really well.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I wanted to say, don't cut her mane! Get a bottle of Show Sheen, a comb and use a lot of elbow grease to get those knots out!

It has been a few years since I have had horses. We used mostly straw for bedding though I like wood shavings better. We just cleaned the messy parts and replaced the bedding daily.

I agree that some horse people (especially horse women) can get a little funky. I remember this lady telling my mom she was brushing a horse's tail wrong. Hello, crazy lady, my mom has been riding for 30 years! I think she has figured out how to brush a freaking tail!!

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Regarding the stall cleaning, you may be fortunate enough to have a young girl/teenager around that is horse crazy enough to do it for you. Or at least for practically free. Heck, I used to cross over the fence to our neighbors just to muck stalls on occasion.
:

Regarding her neglect, is she underweight? Or just wild and wooly from not being cared for properly?

·
Registered
707 Posts
congratulations on your new girl!

i also have an older arab mare, as well as a pony. they can be so fun once you get them healthy and get to know them.

as far as stall cleaning goes, you'll get the hang of it and figure out which way works best for you and your (messy) horse. i also second the 'don't roach the mane' advice if you ultimately want her to have a mane of any kind. roached manes are nice if your horse will stand still and let you do it, and if you want to take the time to keep it done, but if you would roach it just to let it grow back out, it'll be crazy looking and harder to tame in the long run. and arabs aren't "supposed" to have roached manes, anyway.

i'd have a vet out to see what they think. if she was as neglected as she sounds, she probably needs to be wormed, then have access to plenty of hay/pasture 24/7. and don't feed her too much grain if she's not accustomed to it, cause she might colic. also, she'd probably do best on a senior grain. anyway,

have fun!!

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've been pasturing her during the day and putting her up at night. Tonight is upposed to be warmish and dry so I may let her stay out . Of course, it is only 6 pm., so we shall see.

I know arabs look nice with a long pretty mane, but she has dreadlock type hanlks of hair as thick as my 2 year olds leg. I have already cliiped most of it off with scissors anyway..kind of too late to go back now, ya know.

This horse was in a pasture near my house for almost 2 years. They put her on a one acre piece, and left her there in summer, ostensibly to eat down the grass so no one had to mow. Then they just..left her there. Last year she almost starved to death, and I reported them to animal control. The owner came ut and fed her for awhile..until she no longer looked as if she was going to die..and then quit. I took up feeding her that spring, and quit around June. Well, we had a really, really dry summer and the pasture she had was dirt and stubbed grass from her eating it down so low. So, in august I saw she was losing weight ands started to feed AND water her gain, because not only were they still not feeing er, they also were not making sure she had water in above 90 degree heat. More than once over summer I went out and saw empty water barrels on their sides after she had flipped them over, trying to get the last drops out.

She also had no shleter, and no shade. No mater what weather we had, she got to stand out there in that pasture and take it..and that was AWFUL to see !

So, I made an offer, and they thought about it, and in the meanwhile I spoke to people who did animal rescue and horse rescue in my area, and I fretted over ti a lot, and eventually the owner decided that she would rather me buy the horse for a small( 500 bucks) amount, as opposed to dealing with animal control officers again.

Supposedly the horse is worth a lot of money, and she is of champion blood lines, at one time some person offered her $4,500.00 for the horse,yada yada..all I know is that they parke ehr near my house, walked away, and treated ehr like an old shoe. I have never seen anyone ride her or work with ehr at all, and since I have never had a horse before nad don't know how to ride, etc..I am taking things verrryyyy sloowwwwwlyyyyy.

You should have seen me try to figure out a frekaing halter. That was sad.

Right now I am feeding her about 2 or 3 flakes of good quality hay per day, an occasional smidge of alfalfa..like, maybe a piece the size and thickness of a lsice of pizza..and apple slices to lure her to the halter. I haven't given her any grain because I do worry about her getting colic, and due to her feet needing trimmed ASAP ( hopefully this week) I worry about foundering as well. I tend to err right now on the side of not exactly feeding a huge amount. I would rather she not get ill due to over feeding.

I have access to all the sawdust/shavings I can use, because my husbands family runs a sawmill..so I just use that instead of buying anything more spendy.
Tomorow, I have to go and haul all her stuff away. I got most of it piled up, and then my daughter fell oer a garden hose face first into mud..so we had to go inside and fix owies and then go to pre-school and etc...Not the most productive day eve, but better than nothing.

I wish I knew a handy teen age horse loving gal who wants to clean my stall..but as it is right it is only me..and I guess I can consider teh horse my very own gym ! I am sure using muscles I haven't in a lng time, cleaning that stall out !

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.