Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI My have had 2 babies c-section and want a vaginal birth in a hospital. I am 12 weeks pregnant with my thrid and am willing to go anywere in Oregon to have this baby. I might do it at home but would love to find a hospital in Oregon that would let me go for a VBA2C.

Rachel

·
Registered
7,527 Posts
Rachel, unfortunately, it's hard enough finding someone to do a VBAC after one cesarean. It's even hard to find someone to do a VBAC after you've already had a VBAC! The political climate, though not evidence-based, is grossly stacked against you.

Where do you live? Have you contacted hospitals in your area?

I heard that OHSU was no longer doing VBACs. Once I heard that, I knew that we were really in trouble.

·
Registered
7,527 Posts
yeah, nobody can force you into surgery.

they can, however, create "reasons" for a cesarean prenatally and during your labor/birth. it's not pleasant and you really have to know your stuff, but it basically means you may not be able to trust your care provider. that's not worth it, IMO.

then again, I think that home VBACs are way safer, more empowering and less risky for mom/baby than hospital VBACs.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I'm sorry - sadly there are a lot of doctors who would like to do vbacs but can't because the hospitals are being held hostage by their insurance carriers. How sad is it that the insurance companies dictate the care that the patients receive.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
my coworker had a VBAC at good sam in northwest. she knew her chances for another C were higher than normal but a chance to birth vaginally is better than just heading straight for surgery. her doc had to be onsite during the entire labor but he was and all went well.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RubyWild
Dr. Stafl in Eugene might. I know he does them for his own patients who had cesareans. He also helps women deliver breechlings vaginally.
Unfortunatly, Dr. Stafl retired in January. This is the reason that there is no longer hospital waterbirths in Eugene....once he retired, there were no other doctors willing to do them!

I agree with Pamamidwife....while it is your right to refuse a repeast c-sect., they sure do know how to play their cards to convince you that you "need" one. I would be scared to attempt a VBAC in a hospital, as I think it is much riskier there than at home.

Good luck finding the right birth attendant for you, Rachel!

Lennon

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lennon
Unfortunatly, Dr. Stafl retired in January.
Oh, that is so sad. He was such an amazing person with such a rich history. What a loss for that area. I mean, I know he's not dead, but it still makes me sad.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I am planning a VBAC at OHSU in February so as far as I know, they still offer VBACs. I think that's probably your best bet because I read a study and as of 2004, they had the highest VBAC rate in Oregon (34% compared to state average of 15%). I am seeing the midwives there and they have been very positive and encouraging. Now, I only had one c-section and have had one VBAC already so I'm considered a much less risky case, but anyhow, I would try to get a consult with them and see what they say.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I am also planning a VBAC at Ohsu with the midwifes in March. they have been very supportive and encouraging about it with me. I have has several friends have success with VBACs at Ohsu. Hire a doula to support you and be your advocate if planning a VBAC at the hospital. i would have it at home but I have a specific reason for choosing the hospital at this time.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
My best experience talking about a 1st time VBAC was at Legacy Emmanuel. Everyone told me OHSU was the most awesome, but for me the midwives at LE were a bit more crunchy and engaged in supporting VBAC. As of July, both hospitals were supportive of VBAC, although I have no idea about VBA2C.

Even though we decided to homebirth (taking the advice from a LE midwife, btw), if we for any reason needed to switch to hospital care, I'd definitely choose LE, and can't say enough positive about the midwives we met there.

·
Registered
7,527 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Savmay
I am also planning a VBAC at Ohsu with the midwifes in March. they have been very supportive and encouraging about it with me. I have has several friends have success with VBACs at Ohsu. Hire a doula to support you and be your advocate if planning a VBAC at the hospital. i would have it at home but I have a specific reason for choosing the hospital at this time.
God, I had just heard from another mw up there that OHSU was no longer allowing VBACs. That rocks - could you go offer this info on the "Midwives, Doulas & CE" forum? There was someone there looking for info on CNMs doing VBACs in Pdx.

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BelgianSheepDog
OT- what is going on up on the Hill?? I also heard the CNMs can no longer accept homebirth transfers. I had to go to L&D for some tests late in my pregnancy and they couldn't accept me, I had to see an OB.
probably politics... i heard rumor that the cnms around here are saving the hospitals too much money and not being "profitable" enough...
:
~c

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.