Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've been using vinegar, water, EOs and baking soda for all the cleaning we do. It works well for us, but why do so many people use a lot of other natural cleaning products? Is there something I'm missing?

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
Some people (such as my DD) really don't like the smell of vinegar. EOs can't always mask the strong vinegar scent. If she's doing the cleaning, she'd rather use a diluted soap solution than a diluted vinegar solution.

I also don't think vinegar alone is adequate for certain jobs- such as removing crayon stains from the couch. I find soap and a damp rag work much better in that situation.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
You cannot use acidic substances like vinegar on certain surfaces and stones, like marble. It may also eat the finish on special fabrics and other materials. It also doesn't do so hot on unsealed, but stained wood (it dulls the color and doesn't help the wood much). Vinegar also eats grout around tile and ruins certain ceramic finishes.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.