Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
6,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any site where I can find the number of deaths from recalled cribs? I keep hearing over and over again how unsafe it is for me to be co-sleeping (
) yet it seems like once a week, there is a crib recall due to infant deaths. I tried googling, but I can't find a site that lists the total number. I know that one of the babies that died in the most recent crib recall was from my town though.

· Registered
2,354 Posts
No idea on statistics but you know that you only hear about co-sleeping deaths in the media because it's the "abnormal" way to parent. If co-sleeping were more common you'd hear a lot more about how unsafe crib sleeping can be.

It is frustrating, I know. With all the people coming in and out of our house because of Charlie, I get a lot of weird looks for having her in my bed. Hello!? She's 2 1/2 with severe medical problems and on a monitor. She safer WITH me. But it has nothing to do with safety. People just want to try and prove how "wrong" it is.

· Registered
2,354 Posts
Ok here's a few:

Crib related deaths (non-SIDS)
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...c_nursery.html

Co-sleeping related smothering deaths (non-SIDS)
http://www.askdrsears.com/html/10/T102200.asp

I have no idea how accurate either article is but it appears that they are nearly the same and possibly co-sleeping being a bit safer. And of course, they lump the smothering deaths with risk factors (alcohol, sleep meds, couch sleeping ect) in with the safe co-sleepers too.

And we know that co-sleeping actually reduces the risk of SIDS so when you add it all together...

I'll be keeping my babies in the bed with me.

· Registered
6,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you!!! That's exactly what I was looking for. That is a really high number of crib/bassinet related deaths.

And this...

Quote:
"It is important to note that while nursery products were involved in these incidents, the incidents were not necessarily caused by the failure of the product," according to the statement. "In many cases, injury or death were caused when the child was left unattended or caregivers misused the product or did not follow the manufacturer instructions or safety guidelines.
is a bit ironic, no? Most of the crib deaths were because parents weren't in the room with the babies. Except you're told to put the babies in a crib, where a parent can't be.

I'm very happily co-sleeping, but I needed to know some statistics because it seems like we always hear "co-sleeping is deadly" but nobody ever says anything about the fact that we've had hundreds of thousands of cribs recalled because babies were being hurt by them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.