1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristiansMomma
I want to know this too!

So does it dye hemp too?
I haven't tried it but I will post what the package says, maybe that will help.

For cotton, linen, ramie and rayon for full shades.Lighter shades on poly/cotton mixes, wool and silk. Do Not dye 100% Polyester,acrylic or nylon. Considering hemp is natural and isn't it like cotton? Then it should work.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lifetapestry
Wouldn't it be quite risky (yet impressive) to dye fabric while nursing? Babe might turn up with a purple head or something.

Karla, kak
OK I have to know why? I never would have thought about it being risky. Are there bad chemicals emitted into the air or something?

·
Registered
542 Posts
hey mamas--i just have to say this, please if you are going to dye and you are pregnant and/or nursing, make sure you get msds for the dyes you use. some dyes are far more harmful/risky than other. even if you are not pregnant or nursing, when using dyes, which have molecules that can be readily inhaled/absorbed, you absolutely must use a good mask (i use a chemical filter mask--sort of look like a space mutant) and gloves. in professional dyers circles right now, there is a lot of discussion about potential harms, even from light usage, and there are several anecdotal stories about dyer who developed mysterious allergy systems, and several who dyed at very early ages. personally, i'm not so sure all that stuff is linked, but i do take scrupulous care, only work in well-ventillated areas, etc. and i don't let my kids into my studio at all when i'm mixing dyes, which i do in a wet box (bit cardboard box, lined with wet paper towels to absorb any dye that spills so it can't become airborne).

i hope this doesn't sound like a lecture, but safety is such an important thing in this area, especially with little ones around.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rorysgirl1
hey mamas--i just have to say this, please if you are going to dye and you are pregnant and/or nursing, make sure you get msds for the dyes you use. some dyes are far more harmful/risky than other. even if you are not pregnant or nursing, when using dyes, which have molecules that can be readily inhaled/absorbed, you absolutely must use a good mask (i use a chemical filter mask--sort of look like a space mutant) and gloves. in professional dyers circles right now, there is a lot of discussion about potential harms, even from light usage, and there are several anecdotal stories about dyer who developed mysterious allergy systems, and several who dyed at very early ages. personally, i'm not so sure all that stuff is linked, but i do take scrupulous care, only work in well-ventillated areas, etc. and i don't let my kids into my studio at all when i'm mixing dyes, which i do in a wet box (bit cardboard box, lined with wet paper towels to absorb any dye that spills so it can't become airborne).

i hope this doesn't sound like a lecture, but safety is such an important thing in this area, especially with little ones around.
Good points. I always get nervous when I read of pregnant mom's dyeing because I have heard stories of miscarriages and such.But I never say anything because I don't have any links to evidence.

I don't wear a mask when dying and sometimes go to bed with a quite a buzz so I need to be more careful myself
:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.