Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in my city we have an overabundance of blackberry bushes growing wild everywhere. Every year I pick tons to turn into jam and syrup. Ths year I thought I would try my hand a fruit wine-making.
I just got my wine making supples ad I am ready to start picking and crushing. I am not yet sure if we're making 3 gallons or 6 gallons. I guess it will depend on if I get tired of picking!

Does anyone else make wine? Care to share any experiences or advice?

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll let you know in a year.
That's how long it is going to take with all the racking and aging that it needs. Aaaaarrg! And I am SUCH an impatient person!

·
Registered
313 Posts
I was just trying to figure out how to make wine from doing searches.
They say you have to age them for at least 12 months.
I know there are recipes that you can drink within 2 weeks.

I was talking to a wine maker yesterday who makes a blackberry mead that he says is the perfect combination!
YUUUMMMMMMMMMY

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Blackberry mead sounds wonderful!

What would I like to know?
I'm not sure. As a total begginer I would love any advice anyone has, things that worked or did not work for you, recipes, etc.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Same here...
Also, where did you find a large supply of honey?
I'm sure I could go to Sams and buy in quanity but, I want it to also have it's own taste.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinuviel_k
Blackberry mead sounds wonderful!

What would I like to know?
I'm not sure. As a total begginer I would love any advice anyone has, things that worked or did not work for you, recipes, etc.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you have any local health food stores, co-ops, or farmers markets? I can get bulk raw honey from all of those sources in my city.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay! I've started my first batch tonight: peach wine!

I went to the farmers market yesterday and got a sreaming deal on organic peaches. They were normally $3.29/lb, and they were marked down to $2.29 due to their small size. I bought 16 lbs, and the guy let me have them for $1.95/lb.

I spent this evening cutting and mashing the peaches, puting them in the fruit bag, and mixing all the additives into the peach juice. I'm doing a 4 gallon batch. I'll put the yeast in tomorrow night, and we'll be on or way. I am so excited: I hope this works. Crossing my fingers...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts