Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to the natural foods store today and got some probiotics and cranberry pills for my UTI. I get home, I take one of each and then notice a warning label on the Solaray Super CranActin that says "Do not use if you are pregnant." But I already took it. Is it really a problem, or do you think the pregnancy warning is just because it contains herbs and some herbs can cause labor when you close to the end?

The ingredients:
Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Thiamine, Vitamin B-6, Pantothenic Acid (as d-Calcium Pantothenate), Cranberry Extract, Uva Ursa leaf, Queen of the Meadow flower, Goldenseal root, Juniper berry, Cornsilk tassle, Blueberry, Vegetable Cellulose, Magnesium Hydroxide, Vegetable Juice, Megnesium Stearate, Tricalcium Phosphate, and Natural Coloring.

Everything sounds pretty harmless to me. Does anybody know if this stuff is okay?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
The ones I spot that might be an issue are Goldenseal and juniper - I know you're not supposed to take those while preg. But one dose is not going to hurt anything. I don't know anything about Uva Ursa leaf or Queen of the Meadow flower. Neither of those are on this list (scroll to bottom of page):

http://www.ovulation-calculator.com/pregnancy/herbs.htm

You could probably check into those individually. It seems there are lots of herbs you're not supposed to take while pregnant. But again, you've only taken one dose, so I think you're fine if you just switch to plain old cranberry juice at this point.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
You can get plain old cranberry pills (with nothing else in them) from any drug store, grocery store, Walmart, etc.

Sorry I can't answer you on the herbs.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Aviva Jill Romm's book says to stay away from the Juniper Berry and Goldenseal. You're probably okay with the one dose, just get plain cranberry pills or even the juice or tea instead.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay! Thanks... I was freaking out a little. I definitely did have a couple of really intense weird contractions while laying on the couch. They made me sweat, and I'm only 21 weeks so that's obviously not ideal! But I'll keep these pills in mind for when I'm 39 weeks and anxious!

Guess I gotta head back to the store and get some cranberry-only pills. D'oh!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.