Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ds has six cavities, which we are treating over four appointments. We received a statement explaining that we will have to pay about $1,000 over the $1,500 being paid by insurance (which also covers two examinations by different dentists and x-rays). I am very concerned that the total bill will be significantly more because the statement does not include two sessions with nitrous oxide and three sessions with "behavior management" (the papoose board they are forcing us to use and charging us for) and possibly not all the resin, which they are using for at least some of the teeth and is not covered by insurance, which only covers amalgam. Each tooth is receiving "restorative" for $153 and a pulpotomy for $218. They only told us that one tooth had decay close to the roots. When I call the office, they just keep reassuring me that I won't have to pay all at once rather than really explaining the charges. Can someone help?

·
Registered
385 Posts
At first I thought 'eh, it's a little steep but I could still see it depending on part of the country'. Then I realized you were talking about a child and not dh as I originally thought it said. That seems awfully steep. How old is he? I would definitely get a 2nd opinion, especially where children's teeth are concerned as there may be less expensive alternatives that are just as viable. That's just my 2cents (and I worked in a dental office for 10 years).

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Each tooth is receiving a pulpotomy? Isn't that the kid equivilent of a root canal? That would be more involved than cavities, and if that's the case then I'd say the charge is reasonable. The restorative must be the crown or cap?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts