Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have an idea about what either of these could mean? DS (4.5 yrs) seems to have challenges with both and I'm wondering if it could tie into SID?

1. Seeming discomfort in the outdoors - specifically in the backyard. Our backyard is a nice size (suburban yard), but not a football field. Yet nearly every time we go out to play (DS and I) he seems uncomfortable and exhibits kind-of "aggressive" behavior. Neither neighbor (on either side) uses pesticides to the best of my knowledge. I'm wondering if it's a spatial challenge for DS?? Lately, he seems much more comfortable in our home - which is old and has small-ish rooms.

2. Very rarely in touch with hunger cues. DS very often seems unaware of his own hunger. I'm constantly offering food choices, but he will reject them. Then suddenly he's irritable or screaming (and then happy once he eats some food).

I'm fairly certain that DS has SID - despite no diagnosis as of yet. Could either of these tie into SID as well? My instincts say yes - any opinions/personal experiences would be greatly appreciated. TIA!

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I'd say yes on both accounts.

With regards to being outdoors it could be the spatial thing that you mentioned, he might be sensitive to the sunlight, perhaps there are too many background noises going on and it unnerves him.

My daughter is a sensory seeker and only recently (she's 3.5) has she started showing hunger signs. She's now at the point she can verbalize her hunger but even before she was very verbal she had a picture board she used and food was one of her options. She rarely used it. She also has a hard time detecting if she is full. One day at my mom's house she drank so much water she immediately threw it all back up - it was like a waterfall of water coming out of her mouth. My BIL commented that he's never seen a kid throw up so much. This seems to have gotten better as she's gotten older - thankfully.

·
Premium Member
12,445 Posts
I agree. Not sure what about the backyard makes him uncomfortable, but his behavior is showing you something is 'off'. Does he do this at the park? In the front yard? that might help you narrow things down. Part of our son's SPD is that he has (had? this may have resolved) trouble locating his body in space - it's a vestibular function.

As for the hunger, definitely. My dh doesn't feel hunger in the way that I do. he can go all day without eating and not notice. He most likely has some mild sensory issues (he won't eat veggies, very picky about clothing, doesn't like to go barefoot..). Our dd is in that direction, but getting better as she gets older. Alas, ds and I feel hunger acutely and our mood takes a nosedive. It was a real issue when dh was doing the primary care for ds. Ds would meltdown due to hunger, and dh wouldn't think to feed him because dh wasn't hungry!

I found that for dd (and to some extent dh) having very regular mealtimes helps her tune into her hunger and eat more.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
I remember when my dd was first diagnosed her OT was surprised she loved walking barefoot in the grass (she hated anything on her feet!) and that being outside always calmed her down because the OT said in her experience a lot of SID kids get overstimulated outside or don't like the wind/grass/sun etc.

As for not recognizing hunger it's possible. My dd doesn't, she eats well and has no problem saying she is hungry... but she has trouble recognizing heat or cold so I have to keep an eye on her when she is washing her hands or other times she could hurt herself with the hot water.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I agree that they both could be connected to SID.

A note about the backyard though..... It might not be space but something visual or auditory. There has only been one back yard that we had that Dd1 would not go out in, or she would stick to me like glue unless I took my little radio/cd player outside with us and played a specific cd. That backyard had neighbors to the right and left of us an a concrete yard (they made industrial sized concrete tubing for the city and county) behind us. The place wasn't really loud or anything but as far as we could figure out there was a sound from there that just drove Dd1 batty.

When it comes to food Dd1 has the opposite issue your kiddo does. She doesn't stop eating. Honestly this kid is eating constantly, from the time she wakes up until she goes to sleep.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses everyone! DS' SID challenges are that he seems to be flooded with visual stimuli and not be able to block out most of what's coming in so I thought that might be it (although interestingly he refuses to wear sunglasses or a hat to block the sun). There's time his vision seems amazingly detailed in that he notices something minute that no one else does. Also, he has lots of vestibular challenges - often tripping, not sensing that he could fall backwards, not liking the "big" swing 'cause there's nothing behind him. He is also a sensory seeker - particularly in the tactile sense. Other sensory issues, but to a less major extent.

All this is to say, "thank you" and it was my gut instinct that these two concerns were both tied to sensory issues as well, but I thought I'd run it by the wise parents here. It seems that now that I "broke the ice" I'll be a "regular" here. Thanks!

·
Registered
651 Posts
My Dd1 is light sensitive but she also refuses to wear a hat or sunglasses. I wish I had advice for you. Dd1 (5.5yo) will now wear sun glasses around the house but still doesn't wear them outside.

I am light sensitive and I almost constantly live in my sunglasses. I hated the years that I had to wear Rx glasses and we couldn't afford Rx sun glasses to go with.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.