Mothering Forum banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

· Registered
1,299 Posts
We are saving money...and most of you probably are, too, you just don't realize it! We switched to cloth when my now 15 month old was born...before that we were spending approx. $150/month on sposie diapers and sposie wipes (even with coupons or with buying the store brand or buying at costco... we changed as often in sposies as we do in cloth). Since that is what we were spending for 1 in dipes we would have spent approx. $300/month for 2 in dipes or $4500 just in the 15 months we have been cding. Going off of the $150/month per child in dd if your dc is in diapers until 3yrs old that is $5400/per child. So then going back to the cost of cloth...to save money you don't need to spend less than the $5400/per child...you can spend more and save dipes for future children...you can spend more and resale what you don't like or what didn't work for your dc or what you love, but don't need anymore...most hyena diapers go for 75% or more of their retail price (some truly hard to get diapers go over their retail price). That all said, I doubt most people spend anywhere near $5000 on cloth and therefore you are saving. Yes, you do pay more initially, but you save overall.

· Registered
188 Posts
I'm not sure about saving money. But I think after re-selling the diapers for at least half of purchase price, I'm breaking even. I don't worry about it too much. It's something I enjoy and I can afford it.

· Registered
72 Posts
Hmmmm..probably not yet. We've spent $75 + $55 + $35 + $10+$3....that's almost $180. Plus I wasted some money on ebay for used items that turned out to be so gross I just threw them away. DD is 2.5 months old, and we did use sposies for the first 3 weeks, and for a weekend trip, and just this week started using cloth wipes. And now it's time to order some regular size prefolds, so there's more money. But, I think we'll get all the cd's we'll ever need (for all our children) for less than $500. I think we're still in the initial start-up cost phase

· Registered
3,886 Posts
If I add it all up and subtract the things I've sold, I'm sure I'm close to even with what I would have spent on sposies to this point.... except that I have a whole wall of diapers, and I can still sell them

So, in the end, I should come out WAAAAAYYYYYY ahead!

Kimberly

· Registered
10,060 Posts
I spent about $200 at first building my DD stash 2 years ago and that was FB's. When she grew out of them I sold them all on ebay and made back almost what I paid for them! Then I bought some more FB's, then I found MDC.
Once again sold all of my FB's for almost what I paid for them and started slowly building my fitted & wool stash. I try to only use what I have in my paypal to buy dipes and rarly put anything on a CC (that will change when my fluffymail order comes in but I figure I will be able to raise the money for at least half of it. I figure in the long run I will only be out about $600 total for dipes. Not bad considering how much I would have spent on sposies through out the year for 2 in diapers!
At first I did start CD'ing to save money but now I do it just because I love to see my children happy in cloth and because its so much better for the environment. It's also a hobby for me. I don't collect knick-knacks or buy expensive cloths or have a fancy car and this is something I enjoy.

Ok, I've rambled enough

· Registered
2,835 Posts
We're saving tons of money. I've spent less than $500 Canadian for more diapers than I know what to do with, which are going on their second child. I'm sure they will last through all children we have as we have so many in rotation, there is minimal wear on them. A month of sposies (the cheap, generic kind) would cost about $40+ a month for DS, more for a smaller child, so do the math and we're coming out way ahead!!!

· Registered
1,206 Posts
We are saving a little bit anyway. When we started with DS my entire stash was gifted to me- Gerber PF and whatever covers my frined had. I was so grateful for them at that time. Then when we got a little $$ we upgraded to a few (I think 6) ME OS that he can still wear 18 months later. (Although I may try to sell these as they really are not very absorbant for what we need.) Now that I am expceting # 2 I'm just goign ahead and spending what I would spned on the first couple months in disposies on cloth- I only need the NB/small diapers and NB-Med covers at this point so I can splurge on some nicer stuff. (not too much though- we're so broke as it is.) I love prefolds, DH is even pretty good with the snappi so I'm looking more at some nicer covers (preferably wool but none of the really nice ones- I have a hard time justifying a new pair of shoes if mine aren't completely worn through,LOL. Those I just admire from afar.)

I explained it to my neighbor as I may be paying a little more upfront but I *never* run out of diapers, they are reusable/giftable/saleable, and once I get my stash I have no need to continue buying unlike disposies that you have to keep buying over and over. Once I reach my limit, though I'm done. I just have to keep telling myself that, LOL.

· Registered
6,787 Posts
My goal isn't to save money but I still think I have overall. I used prefolds and bummis entirely on my first dd and mostly on my second, so it does probably even out to a savings in spite of all I'm spending to diaper this baby. Then there's the resell of it all. So all in all I am definately saving money. But like I said, that isn't really my goal anymore. It has definately become a hobby for me.

· Registered
420 Posts
I have 2 boys in cloth diapers so I feel like I am getting good use out of them and saving money
But when I think about all the cloth diapers I tried until I got my own system down.......I am not quit sure. Of course I am a hands on learning and have to try it for myself despite what everyone says......lol

· Registered
7,238 Posts
i think we "could" have saved money if i didn't have this darn
blood! :LOL seriously, i've spent a good $500 in the very short time we've been cd-ing & DH may just have a stroke soon. but, we have gotten into a groove with what works for us & we do great during the day with trifolded cpf's in a bummis or bumkins wrap. so if i ever wind up selling some other stuff, we'll be in better shape!

· Registered
5,044 Posts
Really, I think I'm still saving money in the end. I don't shop all the time. I shopped before DS was born and got his stash...and then I bought 1 diaper (a HH) for him last year. MIL bought a bunch for him though (he didn't "need" diapers but they were much more convient--pockets). I've spent $200 total on the new baby with a few extras for DS thrown in...I think I've spent a total of $500-600. If I don't buy anymore I will be definately be saving money over the course of 5-6 years (depending on when both children start using the potty).

Edited to say: I started out using cloth diapers to save money, help the environment and to be healthier. My original stash was 3 doz. infant CPFs and 2 doz Premium CPFs and Proraps.

· Registered
597 Posts
I started off with intentions of saving money. Then I realized that I wasn't spending any money on Chloe otherwise (being #4 she's got everything already) and I decided that this was a chance to spoil her. I know that I was saving money til I came over to MDC
!

· Registered
411 Posts
I didn't start off with CDs to save money, though, for me it has been a savings. I started because I didn't want to use disposables with all the chemicals and gel beads in them, plus I was concerned that their use might lead to more rash. So far, I have spent probably less than $500 overall, with the selling of some of the stuff that I don't use. I don't have many of the hyena dipes (though I would always love to try more of them!
). The other reason I don't have more hyena dipes is because in Canada, we have to contend with shipping, customs and exchange and those fees quickly make any diaper even more expensive. I have also been lucky enough to find some good brand new dipes or those that are in EC at consignment stores (ME OS) or garage sales for a steal! Even though I have been trying to convert almost every new mother I know to cloth, I am thankful for those that try and do not succeed because that's how I got many of my dipes in EC for a very good price!

· Registered
3,891 Posts
Yeah, I'm not saving money here either. But I am helping to save the environment, and that counts for a lot! Plus this is so much better for DS bum, and I want plenty of kids so I plan on getting full use out of these diapers!!!

21 - 40 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.