Mothering Forum banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

· Registered
6,455 Posts
Nope. I know I'm not saving $$, because of the dipes I buy. But they're better for my kids, and better for the earth and it's my hobby.

· Registered
2,989 Posts
In the beginning I thought that I would save money. But that is totally NOT how it has worked out!:LOL I do it because it's fun and cute! I will never add up all that I have spent though! I think that would upset me too much!

· Registered
165 Posts
I started cding about 5 years ago, and back then I could say I was saving money - I spent $6-8 per dipe I think. I also tested for a lot of WAHMs, and back then you got testers for free
But there were many times something would happen - it's like you just snap and find yourself throwing orders in a cart without thinking of price LOL!
Now, I could easily get sucked back into the vortex LOL! I resist it every single day, it can happen in the blink of an eye
But I am trying to do it to save money this time. For instance, I never had a clothes line before, but I am going to get dh to put one out back this summer for me.

· Registered
1,965 Posts
I've been using cloth for over 1.5 years and am getting ready to have my second in cloth. I have a pretty nice stash and have saved money. I buy what I like and what works for us. I don't tend to buy every new thing. My ds has very sensitive skin so we can't use a lot of different things. I've also got some nice stuff before it became impossible to find. I should be able to resell this for as much as I got it for. I've also spent a lot on certain items. However, when the money gets added up, i've saved.

We aren't even using cloth to save money.

· Registered
3,211 Posts
Yeah, definitely saved $$ here, and that is with my phases with buying and trying all the hyena stuff. The trick is reselling or trading. If I stick to my plan, and keep Ian's dipes for Zach then I will have spent about $1,500 for two children. That's if I never sell a single diaper or cover in my stash. I have tons to sell so that gives me room to buy more fun stuff later down the line and still keep costs down. If I had never resold or traded then I would have spent about what it cost to dd Ricky on both Ian and Zach combined, so still a savings.

· Registered
520 Posts
lol...

Even if someone buys 'hyena' diapers, I still think you save money in the long-run, especially considering you can use the diapers with subsequent children, and considering the resale values of some of the 'hyena' diapers.

susie

· Registered
268 Posts
If it weren't for Quicken, I'd THINK I was saving money! But darn, I'm amazed when I total things up--especially since I mostly bought used and seconds. BUT, I don't HAVE to spend $30 a pop on a case of diapers at Costco, and as I've pretty much got a stash that should fit a long time now, I'm done with the major spending. (And did I mention that it's fun?
)

Long-term and big-picture, I think I am actually saving money because I'm not spending on throwaway things. When I'm done, some things will be worn out, but others can be sold or gifted. It just feels better that way--better for our health, better for the environment, better for the community of mothers.

And did I mention that it's FUN?!

· Registered
1,678 Posts
Cripes, I've only been CDing for a month now and I'm SURE I'm not saving $$$ ---- BUT, I've done the math every way you can look at it, and even if you go high end dipes for a 3 day rotation and room for fudge, I'll still save something over the long run (at least 1 more baby and resale). I figure, I never went to the store brand for sposies, and rarely drove to a different store because they had a sale, although I did use coupons regularly - no, we bought the super duper deluxe ones, and frequently in small packages ...why would I go cheap on the CD's??? I'll get the ones I want and need and that work for us; within reason of course. I'm doing it for the environment, and for those little bums!

· Registered
503 Posts
I'm definitely NOT. But, I don't have to lug huge packs of sposies home, or rush to buy them at sales - no sirree, instead, I have them delivered to my doorstep after rushing to stalk them at stocking!!

And, it's WAY more exciting to receive gorgeous printed new fluff than bring home plastic packets of sposies, and WAY more enjoyable to get to choose what to put on my baby's bum each diaper change, rather than the same old yukky paper product every time - how dull.

· Registered
590 Posts
Over the 16 weeks I've been Cding, I have spent about $500, I think. I was upset when I first realized that, but now I have all the prefolds I'll need forever, in infant (for next babe), and the premiums DS is in now. I have a few hyena dipes, but I bought them all used on the TP, and even most of my Medium cover stash is used Bummis. I am loving wool, so I've bought a few used covers there, too. But essentially, with the TP, I'm definately coming out ahead, especially since I'm all set for another several months, until DS outgrows M covers, and his M fitteds.

· Registered
1,762 Posts
As far as what I spend per month on cloth and what I could be spending on sposies, I'd say I'm breaking even, maybe even spending more. But I figure that when I'm done CDing my kiddos, I can sell my diapers and atleast make alittle tiny bit of the money back.

· Registered
1,829 Posts
I started out saving money with 24 premium sized prefolds, 3 snappis and 6 bumpy covers ... but then I got the nifty idea of making my own ... and since then I've spent way more on fabric for diapers for my daughter than I ever intended ... good thing dh thinks it's all business expenses.

· Registered
1,030 Posts
I think if you're motives for cding is saving money, then you probably are. I would venture to say that most people on this board that that isn't really the top priority.
I didn't say everyone here, just most.

I didn't start using cds to save money, so I've never really tried to, I guess!!

41 - 55 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.