Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ask this because a lot of people call me this, and I wonder why. I am not offended by it, I am just curious what y'all think.

Most people who don't know me well would never know that I:

-had a home, waterbirth
-still nurse my son (although I still do so in public, so it is not like it is a secret)
-co-sleep
-practiced elimination communication
-don't vax
-don't use conventional health care

Oh, you know, the other "all natural" stuff -- I can't think of everything. But, I guess I wonder why that makes me a hippie. I wear make-up (well, mascara and lipstick), and I like to look nice. I love TV! I drink Dr. Pepper when I am sick. I admit I do wear birks sandals almost daily, but they are definitely strappy and on the feminine side.
:
:

When I was pregnant with DS, I got SO MUCH flak at work from this one dude. He said I was irresponsible to plan a homebirth. He was the one that got me to thinking of this, as he was the first (but not the last!) to call me a hippie.

I *think* of myself as mainstream, but maybe I am not. I guess because *most* of my friends nurse their 3 year olds, too! And they are all natural birthers.

Do any of you think about this?

·
Registered
838 Posts
I think about it all the time!

I certainly do not look to outsiders like a "hippie" or whatever you want to call it. When people get to know me, they are usually surprised to find out that I'm planning to use cloth diapers, that I recycle/reuse everything, that I drive a Prius, that I try to only eat organic food, that I am vegetarian, that my mom breastfed me until I was 3, that I am extremely liberal in some of my political views (though not all), and that I will only use non-toxic and/or organic home and baby products.

Does that make me a hippie? I don't think so...But then, just the other day a new co-worker said, in a friendly way, "Wow! I didn't realize I was working with such a tree-hugger!". I just said, "Loud and proud tree-hugger, baby!" in response.

I kind of think of myself as a new generation hippie, or a low-pro hippie, or what have you. In general, I think people just try to label other people because it makes life easier for them if they can fit someone into a pre-defined box in their brains...I live my life trying to defy any box!

·
Registered
12,302 Posts
I'd say yes, and I was raised that way too.
Cosleeping, no vaxing, bfeeding, homebirthing,healthy eating, havent practived EC yet. I am hoping to with this baby.

I am not means a tree hugger though
No offense to those that do hug trees but that just isnt me.

I have fake crocs, but I want Birkies so bad. Just the $$$$ is
:

·
Registered
609 Posts
I hug trees. (Really. They smell so good, and sometimes they talk to me
)
I write poetry from among the dandelions...
I wear my hair in two braids much of the summer with a patchwork dress and no bra...
A co-worker called me "one of those hippie chicks who wears amber all the time," and it's true, I do love amber, and other gems...
I love to make my own batiks...
I read Tarot cards and I believe in non-violence...
I breastfed and babywore...(though DS self-weaned at 18 mos.)
I co-slept until DS left me for his own space...

I lived in my car/tent for a few months and long to do so again...
and I'm definitely a liberal politically...
BUT
My son grew out of his first set of cloth diapers and we just stuck him in Luvs after that...

I eat meat when I'm pregnant...
We vaccinated, and probably will again...
Last year I started shaving my legs and pits again...
I'm now a responsible home-owner...
I always wear a bra to work...

I eat a TON of junk food (I'm a candy addict)...
I drive a frickin' mini-van...

So I don't know. Sometimes I feel so darn mainstream it's embarrassing. Yet even now, in my (gulp) thirties, people still seem to identify me as a hippie, and I like it all right. When I lived in Oregon, it was a lot easier, but since moving back to northern MN, it takes a lot more effort to practice natural family living the way I'd like to. A lot more going against the flow of things. Yet people always seem to see it in me, and are often surprised when I do things more mainstream, like eating yellow #5 or something!

·
Registered
12,302 Posts
I drive a giant conversion van, is that bad or good in hippie terms??
:

I cant find a patchwork dress that wont cost me $$$$$

·
Registered
230 Posts
I think of myself as a hippie, plant whisperer and tree hugger. I don't know that I actually LOOK like one though. I eat very little meat, try to do mostly organic and/or local, limit plastics, reuse EVERYTHING, compost what I can't reuse, recycle what I can't compost. I will be telecommuting after the baby comes (hopefully sooner
I plan on cloth diapering, breastfeeding, natural birth (but in a hopsital... DH wasn't comfy with our first birth happening at home... at least I don't have to deal with an OB... I have a lovely MW), babywearing, cosleeping, all of it.

I am really proud when someone calls me a hippie. It means that someone is noticing my different lifestyle, so I'll take it any day

·
Registered
529 Posts
I think I am but on different terms than you guys...

- I am the recycle/compost queen.. don't you dare put that stuff in the trash at my house.
- I use all natural cleaning products... including personal care stuff
- I am bfing and a LLL leader.
- We use cloth diapers
- I prefer to buy wood/cloth toys that plastic crap
- I love animals and mother earth.

Edited to add we cosleep too!

·
Registered
198 Posts
I don't think so. While I breastfeed, I don't EBF. I don't vax my kids until they are at least 5 and then pick and choose. I cosleep for the first several months, I homebirth, babywear, use homeopathic remedies and HATE doctors. I'm just starting to really recycle and starting to buy more organic foods. To my family, I'm not a hippie, just 'weird'.
:

On the other side, we drive SUVs, I'm a Republican and far from a tree hugger. While I love having a flower garden and take pride in it (although just moved and have done NOTHING with my landscape and garden this summer)
I'm not an enviornmentalist or animal rights activist. I love my meat.

·
Registered
765 Posts
i'm definitely more on the crunchy/natural side than most mamas i know. we cloth diaper, breastfed, do not vax and so forth. it takes a lot of patience to explain WHY i parent the way i do but i don't regret it for a second.

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
I don't look like a hippie from the outside but those that know me would call me a hippie in a second. My DH and I were big hippies in college, he had the long, long ponytail (beautiful, beautiful hair), I wore patchwork skirts, we both wore birks even in the winter! But now, he is an engineer, I teach nutrition, we live in the suburbs... Those that know us KNOW that we are hippies (and proud to be!) but those that don't have no idea
We have very liberal political beliefs, extended breastfeed, cosleep, partial vax, organics, recycling, babywear, partcipate in a co-op, cloth diaper, etc. But we just look like an engineer and a teacher living a mainstream middle class life!

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
I've been told I am. I'm pretty conscious of what DS eats, though I'm much less 'strict' now. I would've BF till at least 2. He hasn't been vaxxed since 6 months, and I regret that first bunch, I did all his 2 mo. ones seperately which my doc's office treated me like I was a PITA for. (the only concern I had then was if he was allergic to it, how would I know which one?)

I plan to babywear next time. I coslept and still do when he needs me to, we've moved to our own beds for the most part though, we all sleep better most of the time. New baby won't be vaxxed, will be bf if it is the last thing I do, will be worn, will cosleep, etc. And the first foods will be mashed avocado, mashed sweet potato, mashed banana. Not doing jars or cereal thanks. IF they're old enough to eat it then it'll be recognizable too. (I'm told that's hippie-ish of me...)

I do wood toys or 2nd hand toys mostly. DS has a doll cradle, had a doll till its head broke. My b-day requests on his behalf have included a doll sling (I have sewing-capable friends) and dishes for the kitchen I want to get him, though I'm not set on that due to space. You should see DS's farm set, it is all natural unstained wood and everyone who has seen it tells me it's GORGEOUS and adorable.

most clothes are 2nd hand and I'm pretty strict on the cotton-only, he sweats too much in anything else. Oh and he has a wool sweater set he wore as a newborn, a friend made it.

My new baby has a first set of bootie-shoes, they are hand-made felted and ADORABLE. (nobody else 'gets' it, I love 'em)

Oh and i clean my bathroom with health food store cleaner, I use health food store all natural animal product free toothpaste, I use EcoSoft instead of Woolite. And I clean my counters with baking soda paste and a toothbrush, it's the best!

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Hi there...just lurking from the Nov ddc!
I am definitely a hippie in some ways, and a conservative in others...
I do much of the hippie momma things you guys do...ebf, cd, cosleep, babywear, gentle discipline, etc...I wear birks, and crocs (are they hippie or mainstream?), and some 'hippie clothes' as well (tyedye etc)
I am a military wife, so some of my political views are more conservative...
I hate doctors, and try and use homeopathic meds...but do use 'regular' meds from time to time...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippies
After reading this, I feel like more of a hippie in many ways--I'm all for organic, getting back to nature, 'free love' even tho I don't practice, and all natural stuff. I would LOVE to live in a commune...dh wouldn't go for it tho...

I have never done drugs though...but I'm not against others doing it--hey, their body, their choice...just don't blow smoke near me (same with cigarettes) and don't get behind the wheel of a car (same with alcohol)...

Interesting topic tho...thanks for starting this thread!

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I am called a "hippie" or simply a freak a lot of the time. My parents are cool about it though - they tell me that I've been a hippie since I was born. They aren't, really, but they did AP (even though it wasn't called that back then).

I am planning an unassisted homebirth, I don't go to the doctor or take medicine (I don't get sick, either), planning to cloth diaper, baby wear, make my own baby food, EBF, EC, cosleep, NOT vaxing, homeschooling, etc...

I walk or ride my bike pretty much anywhere I go, and I suppose to an extent, I dress like a hippie. Mostly my shoes and purse, though, because I'm just a boring jeans and t-shirt girl.

I use all natural cleaning supplies and when I do wash my hair, its with organic health food store stuff. I wear makeup (eccobella) less than once a week.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts

I guess I am a hippie.
Still nursing (only 1-2 times a week but still going) an almost 5 yr old.
Family bed.
Anti-circ.
Anti-vax
Vegan
Don't use deoderant

Homebirth advocate
Cloth diaper advocate
Use all-natural cleaning stuff...mostly baking soda and vinegar.
But I still belong to the "mainstream" world...work in an office of conservatives. Wear skirts to work sometimes so I shave from the knee down and have the hairiest thighs ever

·
Registered
334 Posts
No I don't think I am a hippie mom at all - although i am running around barefoot and pregnant

We catch flack from our family and get some weird looks now and then from others.

We:
cloth diaper
Birth naturally at home
nurse and much to my inlaw's shock extended nurse and nurse while PG! baby wear
co slept for awhile until it wasn't working for us any longer
have an Amby baby hammock (that seemed to cause a lot of stir)
make homade baby food
Eat fresh and shoot for organic when feasible
i am a recycleing queen too
I was thought of as VERY weird for not allowing my Dtr any dairy before 1
and we don't vax
we won't circ either if this turns out to be a boy - and I KNOW that will stir controversy - it already has.
We don't believe in giving antibioltics and pain killers for every little thing
Oh, and they have so much trouble with the fact that we don't hire a routine babysitter to be able to "go out" without our children. it drives my MIL nutty that we go out to eat and take DD with us.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Quote:
Don't use deoderant
I must ask ... do you smell? (There are all natural deoterants that work well.) Just curious... of course I respect your choices.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahappymel
Wear skirts to work sometimes so I shave from the knee down and have the hairiest thighs ever

SAME HERE. i never realized it till we went to the beach a few weeks ago and when i came out of the water, my upper leg hair had literally PARTED and looked to be at least an inch long! there's NO WAY i could ever shave that! it'd take days.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Jesilynne, I didn't know you were preggers!
Woo hoo!
:

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesiLynne
I'd say yes, and I was raised that way too.
Cosleeping, no vaxing, bfeeding, homebirthing,healthy eating, havent practived EC yet. I am hoping to with this baby.

I am not means a tree hugger though
No offense to those that do hug trees but that just isnt me.

I have fake crocs, but I want Birkies so bad. Just the $$$$ is
:

·
Registered
148 Posts
I BF'd my DD until she quit on her own @ 3 1/2
and co-slept until she wanted her own room (just past 4)
Will start her vax this year (kindergarten 9/2007)
I don't allow her sugar or processed foods and give her whole foods (was stricter when she was younger but starting to loosen up w/ b-day partys and nursary school)
I wanted mostly wood / cloth toys (generous family felt differant)
I wore her in my sling for I don't know how long
I recycle everything
I wear birks mostly everyday (even throughout winter in NY)
I use only nontoxic biodegradable cleaners (and most personal care stuff)
I love to buy organic
I do hug trees for real
I am having HBAC with #2

However:
I drive a big chevy pick up truck ( yes we really do need it)
I have issues getting over my own sugar addiction ( late night ben & jerry and closet entenmann junkie)
I shave
I eat meat
I color my hair
I wear makeup if I'm going someplace nice
I used pampers and probably will again

SO... I think I can find a happy home among all you "hippie-mammas" !!!

People started caliing me a Hippie since high-school (grad in 86) but mostly it was used as an INSULT! can you believe it. My family has always thought I was weird. A few years ago my DH said to me "I never knew I was such a hippie until I married you" At that point I decided to embrace the term as beautiful and proudly call myself a hippie

1 - 20 of 28 Posts