Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to outgrow my biggest winter coat and I'm not too happy about buying a new one that will only be used for a few months. What are you all doing to stay warm this winter? Will you get a new coat (do they sell maternity coats?) or just layer up or what?
:

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
It doesn't get too cold where I live, but I've just been wearing a zipped up hoodie under my now-a-bit-too-tight jacket unzipped. It works here, but probably not in a very cold place.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I bought this at Target. I was outgrowing all of my coats too, and I decided I wanted a nice dressy coat since I have to have outside kid duty at the school where I teach. I really like the color. It cheers me up a little when I wear it. I figure that it will come in handy after I give birth as well because it will be big enough for me to wear baby underneath if we are out walking around.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I ended up buying a maternity pea coat on clearance at Motherhood Maternity a couple weeks ago, after freezing my belly and boobs while walking home one night in a jacket that was too small to close. You may want to check there for deals. Think I got mine for $50? It's more than I wanted to spend, but it made me look cute and it closed, so IMO, it was worth it.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I'm not getting a new coat. There comes a time where I can't zip it anymore and well, we're cold here in WI - but It's not like i'm ever outside in the super cold for too long - well this year I might be more to play w/ my daughter in the snow, but I can wear layers or maybe one of DH's.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I ended up getting one from Old Navy. I agree to check for clearance sales. I will be in PA for my third trimester so I bought a maternity coat. You could also buy a babywearing coat and use it for both before and after depending on how cold March-May is in your area, it might be worth it. A lot of the options are expensive, but you can find cheap ones. Here is a blog post with a list of links to the ones I found.

http://cairomama.blogspot.com/2008/1...ing-coats.html

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I got a Liz Lange at Target as well, and it's lightweight which is good for me because I get overheated when pg anyway. The price was right, too. I didn't want to pay much for something I'm only going to wear for a few months. So glad I go it. I've used it several times already. I would have frozen my butt off.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
It doesn't typically get REALLY cold here, but sometimes it does and I have tossed around the question of a winter coat. I have been layering with sweaters and a really thick, really big hoodie (my mom bought it for my brother and he didn't like the color- its a man size 2x). It doesn't look that great with my work clothes, but I only wear it to and from work and don't have to work outside.

I saw the motherhood maternity coats on sale and almost bought one, but they didn't seem any warmer than my current hoodie set up, so I skipped it. However, in October I did travel for work to someplace that has pretty cold weather and a co-worker lent me her coat. She is not pregnant but plus sized (as am I, but she is probably 2 or 3 sizes bigger than me). Her coat was a nice wool coat that is in an a shape- and I am sure it would fit right up to the very end. If it gets really cold she said I could borrow it again and she would wear a different one. But looking at plus sized clearance (or a thrift store) might yield a better bargain for those who need to have their own winter coat.

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
I have this and it will fit me until the end and then the babe and I will both fit in it. I have used it with my DD#2 and love it. If you plan on babywearing and need a new coat I would get this in a heartbeat

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I'm about to stop fitting in my regular winter jacket (I'm huge compared to past pregnancies) so I borrowed this kimono shaped wool winter coat my mom has that she isn't wearing regularly. Last pregnancy (my son was born in April), I wore my regular one until almost the end, then wore my Dh's.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I'm layering - I've got a bunch of hoodies and fleeces and a waterproof shell so I make do with those. The way I see it, towards the end I'll be so hot from being pg that I might be able to get away without doing a coat. I typically never have one, as I spend a lot of time outdoors and prefer to layer anyway. As long as I have something waterproof, I'm golden.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Since my temp is always higher than normal due to being pregnant, I'm usually fine with a hoodie or my long sweater-coat. However, I work until late (after 11pm), and when I have to walk to my car afterward, I'm FREEZING most nights now. I don't like layering b/c it takes too much time, and I'm still wearing mostly short-sleeved shirts indoors anyway. I need to get something slightly warmer. I tried on a faux down coat @ Wal-Mart (was only $25), but even the biggest size they had wouldn't zip around my belly.

·
Premium Member
974 Posts
Last pregnancy, I bought a maternity zip-front fleece jacket from Old Navy, and I've been wearing that under one of dh's winter jackets. I can tell that I'll be bigger at the end of this pregnancy than I was last time, so I'm hoping this will work until babe arrives!
:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClumsySugarPlum View Post
I figure that it will come in handy after I give birth as well because it will be big enough for me to wear baby underneath if we are out walking around.
I just wanted to second this. Last winter (when ds was just over a year old) I used the set-up I'm using now when wearing ds (in a mei-tai) for walks, and it worked like a charm. So if it feels like you're spending too much, keep in mind that you may be able to use it next winter.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I got this off Craigslist in October. It gets cold here early and I'm much bigger than last time. I swore I wouldn't spend another pregnancy looking dumpy, and without a nice fitting winter coat... There's no point to having cute maternity clothes under a garbage bag. Anyway, the lady who sold it to me bought it new for $150 and wore it 3 months. I got it for $35.

GAP WOOL MATERNITY PEACOAT

·
Registered
302 Posts
If you're planning on babywearing, and thus might consider a babywearing coat like a suze's kindercoat, you could get one now and get double mileage out of it. The one I have is a few seasons old (so without many of the newer features) but it has panels that can be zipped into the front to allow more room for front carries - the panels also give room for an expanding belly!

Erica

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'm still able to zip up the fleece part of a 3-in-1 coat I bought last year. I was hoping to be able to make myself a zip in fleece panel but I haven't been able to find a zipper that would work.

I may have to resort to my medieval cloak or caftan! The caftan actually looks modern enough in an artsy kind of way. My father has offered me access to his closet but I'd actually be swimming in most of that stuff!

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I'm using dh's nice winter coat while he's relegated to his old coat that he usually uses for camping/yard work. He's 6'4" and 220 lbs, so lil me fits very well into it. :p

If i want to look dressy, then I bought a wool shawl (for lack of a better word, whatever the big squares of fabric with a hole in the middle for your head) in a neutral color, so I can put that on before I put on MY coat, and it looks really cute. I'm running cold ALL the time now, so I usually just wear that anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,399 Posts
I bought a new sweater that has a couple of buttons right above my belly then hangs loose/open under those. It won't be super warm all winter, but for now it works. When it starts getting colder I will probably layer another sweater under it. I also have a fleece jacket that is about a size bigger than I usually wear and is super warm.

I won't buy anything else, just layer under what I do have.

·
Registered
121 Posts
It gets really cold where I live. This is my second pregnancy in this weather. I went to the outlets and bought an XL coat that is super comfy and zips nicely. I think it was $30. When baby is born I wear them inside and there is still of plenty of room, when they are old enough, just their little head and hat pops out the top.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Dh kinda made me get a new coat in October. It is just a long 2X from Wal Mart, nothing fancy. My MIL has offered to buy it off me after I am done with it so I may take her up on that offer. It is warm and will work for babywearing too, so it has it's use, but it still upset me. Seriously, the coat issue is the ONE reason I did not want to be pregnant in the winter. i really like my cute leather, but as of 3 weeks ago, it would not zip, even when I suck it in.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.