Mothering Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this a week ago and I thought it was a nutty conspiracy theory or urban legend.

It appears to be real.

... The document argues that Big Brother needs to know about essentially everything, for the supposed benefit of the child it wants to partner in caring for. Citing research, the policy statement claims that “the institutions where children learn cannot ignore family wellness if they want to ... fulfill their mission to prepare children for school and academic success.”... AND ...Big Psychiatry will also play a major role. ...
http://www.thenewamerican.com/cultu...ek-home-visits-calling-parents-equal-partners

·
Registered
24,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Is this a libertarian publication?
It could be. I hope that does not offend you. I do consider myself a small "l" libertarian. Sorry, I do not keep up with the political slant in online publications. When I was younger and there was no internet available, I was aware of the political slant of the printed matter.

I found about four other articles that I could have posted regarding this issue, but I chose this as it had more detail. It has been a few days. I will see if there are other articles about the same issue if you want, but this article does have links to other pages that may support it or open up the subject.

However, the Healthy Families 2020 does call for housecalls and mandated vaccinations for all children and adults. As a libertarian, mother, wife, and woman, I do NOT think that kind of law belongs in a free society. There are no infectious disease emergencies going on, so what is the point?

Let me know.

Reactions: Deborah and Nemi27

·
Registered
408 Posts
I agree with keeping big government out of certain things and not others, especially when it comes to mandating what a person can or cannot put into their body. However, I do think that companies, left unchecked, will do whatever they want, whenever they want and the biggest supporters of the libertarian cause also support tearing down unions, keeping the minimum wage low, and polluting the environment. On the other hand, companies just pay off politicians and governmental agencies that are supposed to protect the people don't always (EPA and FDA to name two).

But do I think the government should have a hand in raising my children? Absolutely not. I don't think anyone feels that way, although we also don't want to do away with CPS (although they are obviously far from imperfect) or public schools (definitely far from perfect)- both of which already ask us to have children meet certain requirements and for parents to also meet certain requirements. Plenty of people wish people had to pass a test in order to be a parent, but when you really think about it, that seems rather ridiculous and wrong. Some people who may pass the test before having a child, may prove to be completely incompetent after wards. How far would we need to take it to verify children are being raised "correctly" ?

So, no, I don't think the government should be more involved than it already is in checking on children other than I wish more funds went to providing a real education by overhauling the present educational system, not reducing food stamps or WIC programs, providing more artistic/ musical programs, keeping big companies out of schools (vending machines, advertisements/ bad food), and more physical movement in the classrooms.

And obviously, don't make me vaccinate myself or my child as there is absolutely no 100% guarantee nothing will happen either short term or long term.

·
Registered
24,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do think that companies, left unchecked, will do whatever they want, ...
Yes, that is the reason I said small "l" libertarian.

Over one hundred years ago, Teddy Roosevelt tried to set up a federal healthcare program while Germany set up the first; Harry Truman made a second attempt in 1950. This all did not happen overnight. The US has had federal programs for retirement, social security and subsidized housing since 1937, school lunches since WW2, healthcare/medicare and preschool since the Great Society, and many other social programs for a few generations now. People are used to applying for benefits no matter how libertarian they claim to be.

This is a very slippery slope. We should look at how things worked in society before we started relying on the experts 3-5 time zones away.

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
Hasn't Scotland already set up state-appointed guardians for children? I thought I read that somewhere, but I can't remember if the source was a reliable or hyperbolic one.

And @applejuice, I hear you. I try not to label myself with any capital letters other than my own name.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hasn't Scotland already set up state-appointed guardians for children? I thought I read that somewhere, but I can't remember if the source was a reliable or hyperbolic one.
This one is a year old, and I remember reading more about it after that. Thought it was going through review.
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-26208628
I deleted my facebook account though and that is where I kept up with a lot of news so haven't seen where that bill has gone the last few months.

(Good reminder though, I need to write these things down so I can keep up with stuff!)

ETA: Here's an update from this past June. Looks like implementation already started and is to continue across the rest of Scotland this year. :(
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-28078483

·
Registered
24,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1 - 9 of 9 Posts