Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a little torn on the subject. I'm currently in week 6, so we wouldn't be able to find out for a few months. I always thought I didn't want to know and would wait in anticipation until the "It's a Boy!", "It's a Girl!" announcement in the delivery room. But now that I'm pregnant, I haven't made up my mind.

Most of my friends have recently found out and think it's easiest to plan, register, etc. One friend didn't and is so glad she waited because of the excitement around the birth. Most of the baby gear I've been researching is neutral and as for the nursery, I'm planning on a chocolate brown and pink/blue theme which will be easy to pick up a few pieces once the little one is here.

Still can't make up my mind though....so tell me, are you going to find out (or did you already)? Pros, cons?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I was all set to keep it a surprise for the my first pregnancy, but I folded like a cheap tent at the ultrasound. Basically, I don't think there is a right answer for this, only a right course of action for you.

I will say that once we found out it was a boy we were really able to do some great stuff with the nursery that we would not have time to do after the birth. We found a wonderful wooden sailboat shape bookcase which my husband stained himself and a few other things that helped us really feel connected. It helped also to know that we were not going to be using the girl name we had fallen in love with....because I think we both kind of hoped for a girl and I do not think the excitement of the moment of birth would have completely prevented that bit of disappointment. Lots of people say it does, but I would have had the moment sometime later on, I know me. Instead it was not even a thought and hadn't been for months.

But then, that's me! You may know yourself to react differently. We are finding out again this time as well...I am too much of a decorating fiend and I really don't like the green and yellow stuff all that much.

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
No. I'm very impatient, I'm a huge planner, etc. but this is one surprise that I'm not ruining for myself! I feel like it will help me through the natural labor I strive for. "Just a little while longer....and I'll know if it's a boy or a girl..."

·
Registered
182 Posts
We didn't find out with the first and that really was nice. I would like to NOT have found out with #5 & #6, but was totally overruled. I THOUGHT that if I should ever get pg again, I wouldn't want to know and dh said he was ok with that this time. Well, I'm really hoping for a girl this time and think it would be better to know so I'll have time to adjust if it's a boy. Go figure! We're thinking about just me seeing at the US, but I'm sure dh would be able to read me and know right away which one it is. LOL!!

·
Registered
168 Posts
We're not planning on having an ultrasound unless it's medically necessary, so we probably won't get the opportunity. If we do... I don't know. We've been wavering back and forth, so I guess it will depend on the mood we're in at the time!

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I found out with both pregnancies. I feel like it was a huge surprise at 20 weeks, and my reward for making it half way through.
It really helped me bond with baby. I loved calling baby by the name we picked out etc. I am a huge planner and loved having the time to get all the right clothes etc. I don't love GN stuff.

With my second I was really hoping for one sex over the other. I am so glad I found out, because we ended up with the opposite sex I was hoping for. I am really glad I had time to adjust and re-bond now and didn't have a shock in the delivery room.

·
Premium Member
15,952 Posts
This is number 3 for us and I've never found out. I love not knowing. I hate surprises normally, but this just seems like something that I shouldn't know ahead of time.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
This is my second baby and we didn't find out with either. its WAY MORE FUN.

also, I always advise people with their first baby to consider NOT finding out. here's why:

1. you'll save a ton of money with subsequent babies if your car seat, etc. is gender neutral. if you find out the sex, its much harder to avoid girly and boy things and go with the black.

2. you'll actually get the stuff you registered for
if people don't know the sex, they can't get carried away buying you all kinds of crap you don't want that THEY think is cute. girls get everything pink and with "princess" written on it. boys get footballs and baseballs. no one is thrilled to buy an ear thermometer or a pack n play sheet. they are much happier to buy clothes that are gendered. we didn't find out the sex, and we got the nail clippers and such we wanted because its hard to get exciting about green clothes for some reason. my friends who found out inevitably got slimed with frilly pink or sports themed stuff they didn't need.

3. with our second baby it was so much easier to not find out the sex because we didn't with the first. all our newborn clothing is gender neutral, as is the nursery stuff, and so on. my friends who found out with their first, but didn't want to with their second had a bit more annoying situation. not that it will kill a little boy to wear a few pink onesies or ride in a pink carseat, but its easier if your stuff is gender neutral IMO and more cost effective in the long run.

4. The birth is just so much more exciting. Every new life is precious and of course its exciting no matter what. But I think its weird when people know the sex, name, etc. ahead of time. Its SO fun to make the phone calls after the birth and announce "Its a....!"

5. Studies show that moms act differently when pregnant if they know its a boy vs. a girl. For example, with boys, they eat more. I think thats bizarro.

6. To me, its a bit like cheating. Like another MDCer often says "if we were meant to look, our uteruses would have window." hahaha.

XOXO
B

P.S. The only reason I *might* consider finding out is if I had a circumcision battle on my hands with DH....which thankfully I don't. But I do know others that do, and its nice to know if the fight is even worthwhile. If you know you have a girl, you can save yourself a lot of arguments.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
We've never found out before, and we think we will find out with this one.

I don't have any good reason why we want to know this time. I suspect because we plan on this being the last little monkey, and if gender were something you could choose one way or the other I would have chosen one gender over the other this time around... I think I feel like I could use the time to adjust my head before the baby is born if it is not the gender I would have chosen with my magic wand.

At the same time, it might be easier to adapt to the other gender when the little amazing baby is there in front of me...

I don't know, I think I can talk myself into it or out of it, and I am just letting my husband's desire to know be the tie-breaker.

We are not necessarily planning on telling people even if we do find out, or are considering swearing a couple people to secrecy...

FWIW, if I had it all to do over again, I wouldn't find out with my first. It's a pretty exciting surprise.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I found out with my first child, but decided not to with this little bean. My husband wanted to know, and I told him he could (we had an amnio, so the doc knows the sex), but my husband didn't think he could keep it a secret for so long.

I have to say that I've saved myself a ton of money by not knowing. The only time I've felt inclined to know was when I was shopping. I've bought lots of adorable gender neutral clothes for the first few months, but haven't gone hog wild like I would have if I knew the sex of the baby. Also, we cosleep, so we don't have to decorate a nursery - that might have been a deal breaker for me. I don't think I could deal with a gender neutral nursery.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
LOL, but for me, going hog wild is part of the fun.

For us, this time if we have a boy we are not doing a nursery because we already have one. But if we have a girl, hubby REALLY wants to decorate a nursery which will mean converting our office. Is it necessary? No, we cosleep. But the excitement on my husband's face is something else entirely. This is something he wants to do.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I just found out today that we are having a BOY after two girls! We are soooo excited! We considered waiting, but just couldn't... I'm too impatient! Plus, we were struggling with girl names since we already used the two favorites. So we made that a lot easier. Now we just need to go buy SOMETHING for the poor boy - everything we own is pink and purple and girlie!

·
Registered
563 Posts
I did find out with Dd and I will find out with #2 (next week)
For me it is just as much of a surprise at 18 weeks as it is at 40, there are so many other surprises ahead what is between the legs is only the beginning

props to those of you who never/are not finding out
I could never wait that long

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.