Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hesitant because of the 5% false positive rate, but part of me thinks I should because I had the flu and a fever early with this pregnancy. I've read that fever can cause NT defects. If I got a false positive, though, I think I'd be worried the whole pregnancy. What are you going to do and why?

· Premium Member
3,785 Posts
The false positive rate is much, much higher than 5%. This article indicates it's closer to 80% of the time a test indicates a potential problem but baby is unaffected http://pregnancy.about.com/cs/afp/a/afptesting.htm

It's not a "test" but a "screen" so it's indicating an increased possibility of a problem- ie your odds are 1 in 132, 1 in 32, etc. And the test itself is not an issue, but the follow up can present the problem- CVS or amnio do have an increased risk of miscarraige.

We waive the test, because we would most likely NOT follow up with a CVS or an amnio due to the risk, because we are low-risk, and because we would not choose to terminate regardless of the results. We will do the 20 week anatomy scan but we waive all other genetic screening.

· Registered
675 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovemyavery View Post

We waive the test, because we would most likely NOT follow up with a CVS or an amnio due to the risk, because we are low-risk, and because we would not choose to terminate regardless of the results. We will do the 20 week anatomy scan but we waive all other genetic screening.

We waive the screens and tests too for the same reasons

· Registered
552 Posts
Nope, I did the first trimester screening and while that can't screen for all of the neural-tube defects that an AFP can, the 18-19-20 week u/s has a much better chance of picking up a neural-tube defect than the AFP.

The first trimester screening is so much more accurate than the AFP/triple screen/quad screen. If you are considering screening I would highly recommend that instead. I am at the very beginning of this DDC and still just 12 1/2 weeks, so you should have time. I think they do the first-trimester screening until 14 weeks. Ideally you would find someone who looks at nasal bone and tricuspid flow as well as just NT. My doctor also looked at a few other things that I can't specifically remember... I think a spot in the brain and maybe the blood flow around the kidneys?

· Registered
1,765 Posts
Not a chance.
Did it with my first and it was positive, decided to forego futher testing and everything turned out fine. It was just added stress. I will always remember getting that phone call from the office about the results, ugh.
We are having a throrough 12 week u/s to rule out any gross abnormalities because I am 36, but that is as far as I am going with genetic counseling this time.

· Registered
1,683 Posts
Nope.I did it with my 2nd right after a perfect 18 week U/S and was told that he might have Trisomy 18 and needed an amnio and a level II.I was left to stew in my worries with my DH deployed over the weekend until a Wed to get the level II which showed yet again a perfect baby.There would have been nothing I could have done anyway with a trisomy baby so I tunred down the amnio several times and worried until he was born.Never ever again.

· Registered
652 Posts
Passing as well for all of the reasons mentioned above. I've had more than one client (as a doula) who have had positive results on the screen and chose not to do further testing...there was nothing to do do but worry and wait, worry and wait. Both babies turned out fine but moms both had a hard time connecting after the birth at first, because they had been so worried about problems during the pregnancy, I think they held back their emotions a little at first. I saw how hard it was for them. I'm sure there are just as many positive stories out there somewhere, but I have no reason to want one personally.

· Registered
726 Posts
My Dr. is REALLY pushing for this test (I'm currently 12 weeks) telling me that it is mandatory in Europe and stuff like that. I'm a VERY low risk pregnancy and have been taking all my vitamins since the beginning! I really don't see the need for the added stress. Any other thoughts out there?

Also, I'm not doing ANY other screening (besides u/s), even though we have a history of retardation and downs in our family. Knowing my baby had something like that wouldn't change a THING for me!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.