Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 3rd is due in about 6 weeks (oh my goodness!!!!!!) and it's just hit me that that means I have to get my act into gear! I am starting to think about big sibling gifts ("from" the baby)... we did it when my 2nd was born and it was a hit.

Since the baby is due in June, I thought something for the kids to do outdoors? I am considering those razor scooters -- I have an almost 6 year old and an almost 4 year old.

If you're getting gifts, what are you getting?

·
Premium Member
6,630 Posts
I hadn't thought of it, but it sounds like a good idea!

We are very low on money so I don't know what we will get DS.. maybe a teddy bear?

·
Registered
512 Posts
No, I don't think I'm going to get her anything, but will probably have her pick out something for the baby. If she even "gets it" by then. Right now I don't think she really understands.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You know, I thought it was kind of silly when DS2 was born, since DS1 was only 2 and 3 months... I didn't think he'd get it. But even now, whenever he plays with those particular Thomas trains (which he was SO into at the time), he says, "These are the ones M brought me when he was born!" Isn't that wild? And they having matching black stuffed sheep, which A picked out for M for his birth gift. Just the other day they were saying that they had to find a new black sheep for the baby, too. It was so sweet.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Yep. We've always bought our older children each a new baby doll when their little siblings were born.

However, now that we're on our fifth child and have added more baby dolls with each one of them, we're starting to become overrun with baby dolls. Plus, my oldest is 10 1/2 and not so much into playing with dolls as he was when he was 2 1/2 and his first younger sibling was born. Our 3 and 6 year olds will receive new dolls from the baby, but I'm not sure what the baby gift will be for our almost 8 and 10 year olds.

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
I'm considering Bakugan and some other small things, but not really. They each have a baby doll that I intend to refer to often.

·
Registered
310 Posts
i am planning on doing one of those kids digital cameras. i figured this way dd could document the new baby and all that's going on. then the other day my midwife said it's a good idea for to have disposable cameras for siblings to use on the big day. i was psyched she said that because it confirmed that my camera idea is a good one! dd will be 3.5 in june, btw.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
DS will be two right about the time this baby arrives. I'm trying to find an affordable Waldorf-style doll for him so he can have a baby of his own.

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by maryjane View Post
You know, I thought it was kind of silly when DS2 was born, since DS1 was only 2 and 3 months... I didn't think he'd get it. But even now, whenever he plays with those particular Thomas trains (which he was SO into at the time), he says, "These are the ones M brought me when he was born!" Isn't that wild? And they having matching black stuffed sheep, which A picked out for M for his birth gift. Just the other day they were saying that they had to find a new black sheep for the baby, too. It was so sweet.
I didn't mention that this is wonderful! I hope my children remember their special toys too!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
we were thinking about either going to build a bear and having DD make herself AND the baby something, or going to a pottery place and making them both piggy banks. I suppose the gift wont be from the baby, but more along the lines of an item that she got to make for herself and to welcome her new sibling.

Those scooter things scare the crap outta me - make sure you get knee and elbow pads too if you go that route.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Yes, we're buying her a tricycle (she's all over the ones at preschool), looking for a little kitchen or stove for her, and will be buying a boy baby doll for her to play with. Probably some other little things, like new Play Doh, little Hot Wheels cars, crayons, etc. as well. We plan to give her regular small gifts to help celebrate her "big girl" status and as rewards for being helpful with her little brother.

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
The digital camera idea is great! My kids would love that. My six-year-olds were 3 when they first became big brothers, and the baby brought them each a new toy truck (they already had too many baby dolls). They, too, always referred to those trucks as "the trucks from baby Zeben." I do think sibling gifts are a great idea, just to remind the older siblings that they are special and important too (and actually, we always do "one small gift for everyone" at each family birthday. Even the birthday person only gets one gift, so that we can spread out the gift-giving through the year).

My boys really want some "I'm the big brother" t-shirts because a friend of theirs at school wore one after his baby brother was born.

Lex

·
Registered
184 Posts
We definitely plan to have the baby bring something for our son but we haven't figured out what exactly yet...maybe a guitar?! He already has a few baby dolls but I love that idea too. Hmm...he does know that we are going to take an airplane (back to the states to visit my family) after the baby comes so that will be very exciting for him too!

·
Registered
694 Posts
I really like the digi camera idea! I have been wondering what to get my 8yo DS, and i think the camera is perfect! He is always trying to take my cell phone and take pics with it. That is so perfect!
:

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'm thinking a camera too! DD is totally into taking pictures and I think it's a nice way to get her involved. I also got something for her to give to the baby, it's just a t-shirt.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.