Mothering Forum banner

are you going to have the nuchal translucency scan/test?

• yes

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • no

Votes: 21 72.4%
  • undecided

Votes: 4 13.8%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you don't know what it is, here's a brief explanation:
http://www.babycenter.com/refcap/pre...ealth/118.html

It involves an ultrasound at 11-13 weeks gestation to measure the thickness of a fold in the baby's neck. If there are "problems" (down's syndrome, congenital heart defects) the test will show abnormal results 80% of the time, and it has a 5% false positive rate.

I'm asking this question because I don't even plan on going to the doctor til 12-14 weeks (I've only been before 12 weeks once out of the 4 pregnancies); and I'm not especially excited about this test as I do generally turn down all "screening" tests - quad, triple/AFP, etc. I just go for the 20 week ultrasound. In previous pregnancies, this test was not routinely offered.

Is it being negligent to not track down my doctor and ask her opinion of this test? I don't really want to get talked into it, nor begin my prenatal schedule earlier than I need to. I wouldn't have any further testing done... no amnios, no CVS... what do you think?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
No, I won't be having any sort of prenatal testing.

I don't think its negligent. Its been my experience that doctors rarely tell you you don't need to take a test.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
It's certainly not negligent; it's very unlikely that you would find something fixable prenatally, so what would you do with the info? Unless you would abort if you found a problem, or feel strongly that you would want to know in advance regardless, I don't see a reason to feel that you must have prenatal diagnostic tests at all.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hi - I didn't have the screen with my first baby and won't with this one. Since I'm not comfortable with aborting, I didn't think it made sense to do the screening or do amnio, especially since the false positive rate is pretty high. Why scare myself like that? I was 35 with my first baby, and my doctor pushed pretty hard to take the test. She even wrote out the referral and gave it to me, even though I clearly said I wasn't doing it. I would be interested if anyone else had similar experiences?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
yes, definitely. i think it is a great test, and i much prefer it to the triple screen.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
hmm because you do a prenatal test does not equal that you believe in aborting.

Zora-i like the nuchal t. test better than the afp/triple screen because of the very high false positive rates that the afp has.
In my previous pregnancy i sat down with my doctor-an amazing and compassionate doctor and human being-and he told me about the nuchal t. test, and that he believed in it and told me things about it-which of course i dont remember anymore
-that made me see the test in a positive light.

·
Registered
709 Posts
i won't be doing it. no need to add something else into the mix to make me even more neurotic about something going wrong than i already am

·
Registered
16,500 Posts
Well, since I said "Nope, no routine ultrasounds", I kinda obviously won't be doing this, either.

I think almost all routine prenatal tests are junk, but if there's an indication (including maternal/parental desire, especially as in the case of a previous loss or "defect"), then they can be beneficial.

For most women, these tests destroy or erode birth/body trust, which is in itself a harmful side effect of the tests. But for SOME women, they allow her to build trust, to act as reassurance, and that's a good thing. I trust each woman to know for herself which it is, and whether she needs them.

Just my 2c.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Arwyn that was so well said!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts