Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this in the opinions section of the paper today, thought it would be interesting to ask:

"A question for my Republican friends: Would you still love George W. Bush if he were Bill Clinton?
Seriously. If it were Clinton who had invaded Iraq based on erroneous intelligence, Clinton whose decisions had lead to the deaths of more than 1,200 troops, would you be foursqaure behind him the way you are Bush? Would you still support him even as he is vilified by half the country and much of the world?

And for my Democratic friends: Would you have felt the same about Clinton had he been Bush?
Had it been Bush who had an affair with a White House intern, Bush who looked the nation in the eye and lied about it, would you have been so willing to forgive? Would you still have opposed removing him from office?

In other words, are you guilty of double standards and outright bias?"

· Premium Member
20,157 Posts
Yes, I am guilty of double standards & outright bias. I know that about myself, try to counteract it, but there will always be a certain amount of bias.

Why? Well, because if I believe someone has the same goals as I, *how* they get there is more forgivable FOR ME than someone who is working against my goals & priorities.

Additionally, certain things are worse, IMO, coming from different directions. Bush promised (in 2000) to return credibility & decency to the white house. Now, I personally don't believe that extramarital affairs necessarily tarnish either credibility or decency (I am not commenting on Clinton's specific situation here, just saying that IMO open marraiges are no less credible or decent than "closed" ones). BUT, when politicians consisitantly say that affairs ARE horrible and then are caught with their pants down, I do think the hypocracy of the situation worsens it.

While I am sickened by the lack of response by both Clinton (Rawanda) and Bush (Sudan) to grave genocide, I DO blame Bush more in that he has shown the willingness to commit troops to elective wars, kwim?

On the other side, I have more negative feelings towards Clinton for his "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy than Bush's many homophobic leanings BECAUSE, once again, of the hypocracy.

· Registered
8,781 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TiredX2

Additionally, certain things are worse, IMO, coming from different directions. Bush promised (in 2000) to return credibility & decency to the white house. Now, I personally don't believe that extramarital affairs necessarily tarnish either credibility or decency (I am not commenting on Clinton's specific situation here, just saying that IMO open marraiges are no less credible or decent than "closed" ones).

just a sampling of why i read EVERY thing this woman posts here.

· Registered
2,304 Posts
I am guilty of bias and double standards, but in the case of Clinton and Bush, I detest them both with regards to their political leadership, and to be honest, sometime I hate on Clinton just a tad bit more for PRWORA 1996.

· Registered
965 Posts
I agree with those who have said that they had/have problems wth both of them. I actually attended more protest/rallies during CLinton's reign. I opposed the sanctions, the bombing of Serbia/Kosovo, welfare deform. I think that Clinton was actually *better* for the corporations and unfettered globalization.

Of course, I can't stand Bush either. I oppose the war in Iraq, his neo-con agenda, his tax beaks for the rich.

But what I really despise most is when people blindly follow their leaders and put up with them because "they're a __________(fill in the blank)". Or those who sit back and do nothing about all the things they don't like because they support one thing about a that person. Sure, I could find plenty of Clinton's policies that I "liked", that didn't mean I was going to sit back and accept the ones I didn't without putting up a big stink.

So the answer to your question is "no double standards here".....

However, come back and check with me if a Green party candidate ever gets into he White House, I may change my tune

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.