Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find that actually handling ds's soiled diapers instead of just bundling up this mass of gel stuff and tossing it has made me more aware of his body's natural rhythms. I know when he's dehydrated, starting to get sick, about to cut teeth, what foods/fabrics he reacts to etc. Some of these things I'm sure I would notice if I were using disposables, but I think it would take longer because they just got quickly changed and tossed. I know that some stock used to be put in examining the chamberpot "leavings" of English royalty. I think I kind of understand that line of thought, now. I'm not saying I'm checking out his "presents" with a magnifying glass, but the old dunk and swish causes me to get pretty up close and personal :LOL. I'm having a difficult time verbalizing exactly what I'm talking about....I just feel more in sync w/ my ds than I remember feeling w/ my dd when she was this age. I don't know if it's cloth or just that this is my second child so I am curious to find out what your experiences have been.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Yup, I know what you are trying to say.

For us.. it's a routine. We spend time together because of it. He picks out which one he wants to wear, lays down, we sing (he plays with the snaps :LOL)... so what *I* am trying to say is it is more of an interaction time rather than whipping an ugly sposie off and throwing it away.

And wash day... the house seems more calm than normal with the TTO smell in the air

·
Registered
589 Posts
I've only been using cloth for a couple of months, but I have to totally agree with you. Cloth diapering for 2 months has been totally different from the sposies that I used for almost 4 years.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Cloth diapering is an entirely different experience!! I love changing my babies diapers. It's not a chore. It's almost a joy. I'm so happy that I've found it, and DS isn't in yucky sposies. Kesi already knows when it's diaper changing time, and unless he's very sleepy, he loves having his diaper changed. All
!!!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I definetley feel closer to my dd than I did my ds, but I think it has more to do with bf than cd. I bf my son for 4 months and didn't cd, Maegan, I am still bf at 15m and have always cd. I am so in tune with what she needs and how she need sit, kwim?
But I was always in tune with my ds bm's, lol! I would flush or help wipe him for a long time, and then when he was older like 4 or 5, I would still unconsciouly keep track of his bm's, like when the bathroom door was closed for long periods. We've always been able to discuss our bodily events, lol

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Yes! Yes! I was trying to explain this to SIL who HATES changing her daughter's smelly sposie...and I don't blame her! But I really don't mind changing DS, REALLY! And yes, I have been up close and personal with his presents as well...one time he bit off some pickle skin when I was letting him suck on a pickle (I know...
) and it came out whole the next day and I thought it was the FUNNIEST thing. Poop no longer bothers me, well at least not HIS. And I enjoy changing him, most of the time (when he's not throwing a fit and trying to crawl away). Just another reason to add to the list of "why I LOVE CDing!"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts