• Ha ha, don't remind me

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Are you calling me a penguin!?

Votes: 1 10.0%
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yes, but mostly because I am dealing with a nasty case of SPD and horrible SI joint pain. UGH :( I'm either waddling or walking like I'm wearing a kimono. LOL

·
Registered
753 Posts
I'm actually moving a lot better in the last week (27 weeks) - feel much less bloated and don't have the nasty RL issues from second tri! I *am* taking shorter steps though.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm sorry you're hurting so much, kcandco! What are SPD and SI?

Good, loba :)

I'm glad you're feeling better, stardogs! What is RL? (I know a few acronyms, but far from most of the ones used on Mothering)

Aillidh I know what you mean about being short of breath. Even before I told him I was pregnant, my F-I-L told me I sounded short of breath on two separate occasions back in first trimester. I told an acquaintance two days ago when I was Skyping with her, and she asked me to speak up because her children were still awake in the background, that I was tired and sort of out of breath because I'm pregnant (that's been my experience during this pregnancy) and wouldn't be able to speak up as much as she needed me to.

I'm waddling, and I think it's related to how I can't sit like a lady anymore, at least not without squishing my baby daughter which might be uncomfortable for both of us. Hey, it sure beats being on bedrest or having to sit or lay down most of the time with ice, in pain, like how it was for me back in June though - at least I can walk this much at all! :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
@Catholic Mama - SPD is Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction. In labor or just before, a hormone called relaxin loosens the pelvic ligaments so the baby has a more flexible passageway. SPD is when that hormone is released much earlier and the pelvis gets out of alignment - it can be quite painful. There is one ligament that separates the pubic bone and one on either side of the sacrum. The ligaments on either side of the sacrum are inside the sacroiliac joint (SI joint). ...Errr...sorry for sounding like a text book! I dealt with it in my last pregnancy so I have a pretty good grasp on it by now. Last time it affected my pubic bone; this time it's wreaking havoc on my left SI joint. Chiropractic care is pretty much the only thing that offers relief, but I just can't afford it this time around. Just another reason for me to count down the days until this little one arrives! (SPD doesn't usually affect labor and it typically disappears after the birth.)

Anyway, yes, I'm totally waddling because of it. SPD really affects the gait. Depending on the time of day, my pelvis feels like it's being ripped apart or welded to my legs. Fun times.

I hear ya about not being able to sit like a lady anymore. I've been worried these past few weeks about the baby being breech, but now that I can't cross my legs anymore I'm fairly confident she's head down now! LOL

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
kcandco thank you for answering my questions, and I'm sorry you're in so much pain! If you want, I'll pray that you'll be able to have an adjustment now and then - surely that would be better than no adjustments at all.

Sometimes, usually when I'm laying in bed on one side, the side that is up (if I'm on my right side, the left side is up) will hurt - not just my hip, but a little lower, too, sort of maybe where my baby is. I asked a friend and she thought it might be my ligaments stretching. I doubt it's as painful as what you're suffering, but does it sound like it's related to SPD at all? Just curious. It's really the only time I'm tempted to put the ice pack I'm using for my hip where the baby is, or might be (probably is by now, with her size at this stage) to relieve this additional pain when I'm trying to go to sleep.

Speaking of the chiropractor, I had an adjustment yesterday and as I walked out of that room, the chiropractor remarked that I'm hopping. I asked, "Do you mean waddling?" I guess he meant the same thing, though I hadn't heard it referred to as hopping before, and he confirmed for me that it's normal to waddle this far along. (I would hope so...not much else I can do!)

I was lucky enough to remember the other thing I was going to say before I went to bed, which is rare when I'm tired. You mentioned that your baby's head must be down. At the last ultrasound a few weeks ago, the technician said something I don't remember hearing before: even if my baby's head is down now, she can still move around, even on the day of birth. I knew that she can move her arms and legs with her head down (kind of funny to think about - good thing she doesn't suffer from gravity and blood going to her head now like she would after birth, I would think, or how would she stand it that long?) but the technician seemed to be saying the baby can even move her whole body, including her head, up to and including the day of birth. I guess that explains how babies can change position to make birth easier, but I had no idea the baby's head can come back up and move around that late in pregnancy. Has anyone else heard this? Or are you like my husband, skeptical that the technician knew what she was talking about?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yep, I know they can switch positions, and I've heard stories of babes switching from vertex to breech during active labor. I carry my babies reallllllllly low, though (seriously - they're practically crowning by 35 weeks) so once they're head-down after 30 weeks I think it's quite a challenge for them to get out of that position. That's just my personal theory. ;)

One of the tell-tale signs that you have SPD is when it is painful to separate your legs, especially while rolling over in bed. Have you noticed that at all? I don't doubt that your ligaments are already loosening - that's normal, considering the weight that the baby/placenta/et al is adding to your pelvic floor. I hope that is all you're dealing with and it won't get any worse.

Thanks for the prayers - I'll take 'em! :)

·
Registered
371 Posts
@Catholic Mama - SPD is Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction. In labor or just before, a hormone called relaxin loosens the pelvic ligaments so the baby has a more flexible passageway. SPD is when that hormone is released much earlier and the pelvis gets out of alignment - it can be quite painful. There is one ligament that separates the pubic bone and one on either side of the sacrum. The ligaments on either side of the sacrum are inside the sacroiliac joint (SI joint). ...Errr...sorry for sounding like a text book!
Haha, had to laugh - not because SPD or SI problems are funny, but because my former job was as the assistant to my chiropractor, who is also one of my best friends, so I knew instantly what you meant! I do the text book talk waaaay too much... :lol

I've been dealing with this too, likely due to the combination of 3rd tri relaxin and toting around my little 1yo hip monkey, who's just barely starting to walk. My right SI goes out all the time, and my pelvis was so out of alignment that when my friend adjusted me the other day, she shifted my pubic bone so much that my lower back went into spasm! So I've been gimping around the last 3 days with horrible back pain on top of it. :shake

Waddling is starting to sound like an improvement at this point!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've been dealing with this too, likely due to the combination of 3rd tri relaxin and toting around my little 1yo hip monkey
That gets me thinkin' @my3beasties - what hip do you typically hold your little one on? Because of my scoliosis I can only hold my 3yo on my right hip, and it's my left SI joint that's causing the pain. I wonder if carrying her is exacerbating the SPD since it is surely throwing me out of alignment more... ? That would make sense, I suppose. Of course, it's not like I walk around with her on my hip all day long, but I do have to hold her up for one reason or another at least once or twice a day. Sounds like I might have a good reason to avoid that from now on!

·
Registered
371 Posts
That gets me thinkin' @my3beasties - what hip do you typically hold your little one on? Because of my scoliosis I can only hold my 3yo on my right hip, and it's my left SI joint that's causing the pain.
Yup, I usually hold her on my left hip, and my right SI goes out...and the left side of my pubic bone was pushed so far forward, it shifted my whole pelvis when I was adjusted! The baby was even at a weird posterior diagonal angle, since things were so far off he felt cramped in there!

I definitely think carrying the little ones could be a bad idea for us, @kcandco. ;) But for me, it's Sooooo hard not to, as DD is only 1yo and barely started walking! It's not like she can do much for herself, or even really get anywhere without crawling...and she's such a cuddle-bug, she loves to be held and hugged all the time. Hard to resist that sweet little face when she holds her arms out to be picked up, and then snuggles into me and pats my back. :love Almost makes me forget how bad it hurts!

Used to put her in the Ergo Baby instead of toting her on my hip, but now the belly is too big, and it's hard to put her in the backpack position by myself. I'm looking at buying one of those lightweight umbrella strollers, so I can keep it in the back of my minivan for when we drop the big kids at school, go to karate class, etc. Hoping that will save my body from getting so beat up!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I feel for ya! You're right - at 1yo, there's not much you can do to avoid carrying her. Getting an umbrella stroller is a great idea, though! We get a ton of use out of ours.

I hope the back pain you're feeling from the adjustment goes away soon! Heck, here's to ALL of it going away - SPD, included! ;)

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm really thinking I have the SPD also. I definitely have the telltale sign when I roll over and laying on my right side can be so painful sometimes. I'm definitely waddling, sometimes limping if I have right hip joint pain also. I could barely walk for a couple days after my first ever chiro visit, when I got adjusted for the rib pain a month ago or so. But thankfully it's been much better during the day and my ice pack use is almost never now.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was aware that babies can change position from head down facing forward to head down facing back, but I didn't know that the baby's head can come back up so late in pregnancy.

Good for you, fox-fern! I use an ice pack every night, and when I wake up in the early morning to pee and take my thyroid pill, I put the thawed ice pack back in the freezer and take out the next one. That usually works; I've only had to put that second one back in and take out the then-frozen one for the rest of the night two or three times. I use it during the day when I can finally sit down to rest and put my feet up, too - first sitting on it, then against my lower back, and I use a longer one for across my legs right up against my feet for the varicose veins.

I hope you're able to get an umbrella stroller, my3beasties! I agree that it would be best for you to cut down on carrying your baby's big sibling as much as possible (both for her to get used to it before you're holding your new baby, and for the sake of less pain for you). Compared to double strollers and single fancy strollers, umbrella strollers can be pretty cheap, and sometimes people sell still-working ones at yard sales for even cheaper than new at the store. (Side note: my fourth child is less than a year younger than my third child, and I sure don't miss my fourth child's pregnancy and then having two babies at once after both were born! We didn't wait this long to conceive #5 on purpose but boy is it so much easier not having to carry anybody.)

I'm able to roll over in bed (on my back for a few seconds in between sides, or longer if I'm too tired to roll over right away, then I remember I'm not supposed to be on my back and that helps me wake up enough to finish rolling over) without much leg pain kcandco and I keep a body pillow between my knees and feet. I had a regular pillow between my knees and feet before this pregnancy (for years, actually; I learned it from my mother for good posture) and now that I'm later in this pregnancy and my legs need to be farther apart because my baby is bigger, I switched to the body pillow between legs in bed and I put an arm across the regular pillow to help support me since I'm off balance until my baby is born. When it hurts to separate my legs is when I take my morning shower...I put the pessory back in right before the shower (the thing the doctor gave me to hold up my uterus and keep my bladder from retaining urine like it did in June) so it might be related to that going back in, but I don't feel it until I lift my right leg up to wash it, and I've sometimes felt pain when I put my right leg back down and lift up my left leg to wash it. Sorry if any of this is too much detail...but hopefully that doesn't qualify for SPD.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I feel similar pain in the shower, @Catholic Mama - it's getting to the point that I can't lift my legs to shave them anymore, and bending over to do it is out of the question, of course. Nothing like hairy legs in the Florida summertime! LOL

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.