Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope I'm posting this in the right place (mods, feel free to move it).

My dd is 16 months old and recently will fight a diaper change like we're trying to torture her

We use sposies at night (unless we're out, then I use cloth and wind up with a wet sheet...I'm still working on finding (and affording) a good nighttime dipe) and the sposies I can put on her while she's standing...

During the day we use prefolds and I can't work out how to put a prefold on a standing toddler without growing another set of arms

Sometimes I can get her to lay on her tummy an I'll diaper her that way, but it's not often and it's still a pain to get the snappi in place.

So, does anyone have any insight into my diapering dilema?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
When my toddlers are like that I only change on our changing table. They quickly learn there's just no where to go. I keep interesting things for them to hold while there too, that are only played with while getting changed. If you don't have one you can make a similar changing station on a dresser or clothes dryer.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I agree about the changing table. Also, I keep a few "forbidden" objects around (cell phone for example) to distract her with.

As for the pf, I really hope you get some good tips. I've pretty much given up on pf except for nighttime & use fitteds during the day. Fitteds you can hook one leg, have them step into it, pull it up and hook the other side. Works great and my daughter tolerates it a lot better.

Good luck!

Holly

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
When my dd1 started to do this (also at about 16 mo) it got so bad I just left her bottomless and scooted her over to the potty everytime she started to dribble. I guess she was telling me that she was ready to PL because she figured out to go to the potty all by herself within a few days.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
Yeah I have that with my two little ones in diapers at home(one is mine, one isn't). They ar 10 and 11months and diaper changing time is crazy. The little 11 month old has to be pinned down because even contraband toys don't work and 99% of the time he gets changed standing up if possible(ie, when he's in fitteds or aio's). My own 10month old goes back and forth. Sometimes she lets me change her while she's playing with a toy or getting sung to or tickled but sometimes it's a screaming WWF wrestling match. She does the screaming and I do the begging(PLEASE sit still Sara, mommy just needs to get this snappi on!). Kitchen utensils work really really well, especially spatulas. Seth is a huge fan of the slotted spoon though.
Also, keys(though somebody said keys have lead in them????) are an option, old cell phones with the batteries removed are good. Singing and peek-a-boo with the prefold works well. Tickling is key to happy diaper changes in this house. For an older babe, letting them pick out their diaper or wipes or even letting them wet the dry wipe with a spray bottle helps out quite a bit. Makes them feel in control of the small stuff, makes it fun, and makes you struggle less. Always a good thing! I NEVER let them go completely diaperless because they ALWAYS pee as soon as the diaper comes off. I made the mistake of taking off each diaper and letting them play naked for literally a minute whiel I grabbed two new diapers and unsnapped them. I had two wet babies and two little puddles on my floor.
: So I learned my lesson. Naked butt time is for warm sunny summer days OUTSIDE! They do a lot of coverless prefolds for airing out though.

Meg

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We've been letting dd go diaper-free during the days and diapering her after she's fallen asleep. Potty learning was going well for a while, but not so well right now... Just gotta keep at it I suppose

·
Registered
610 Posts
What worked for mine (most of the time), was giving her a choice of two places to change her on. After a while, she just started picking her spot by herself. The only rules were that she had to be on her back, it had to be safe (ie, not the kitchen table) and mommy had to be able to reach her (ie, not the top of the cat's tower
).

I changed her on the carpet in her room, on our bed (on top of or under the sheets), on the stairs, on the dog's bed, under the kitchen table... you get the picture!

Good luck!

Maylen

·
Registered
257 Posts
My DD is just a month younger and I hope she never hits this stage. She is *very* fragile (emotionally) and I think that if she figured out that it would upset me if she didnt let me change her diaper she would do it just to not upset me. That being said sometimes once the diaper is MOSTLY On all i have to do is snap one side she will roll over and take off, but, I can normally snap the last snap as shes crawling away.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.