Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jane Brody, a science writer for the New York Times, had this to say about birthing center birth/home birth after witnessing her grandson suffer from persistent pulmonary hypertension of the newborn:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/21/health/21brod.html

Quote:
My experience with this otherwise perfect birth and baby reaffirmed my belief that all babies should be born in well-equipped hospitals, with neonatologists at the ready and a neonatal intensive care unit down the hall. If Baby T had been delivered at a birthing center distant from a hospital or, worse, at home, he probably would have died or, had he survived, suffered irreversible organ failure and brain damage.
Yeah, and a) they didn't notice anything wrong until 2 HOURS after the birth - so why would giving birth at home or at a birthing center have made a difference? If you're paying attention and see something wrong like they obviously did here, go to the hospital!

b) I did some google research and found a study showing that PPHN occurs at a five-fold greater rate in babies delivered by c-section, and that the incidence of PPHN in vaginally delivered babies was 0.37 per 1000. A lot better odds than the 1 in 700 she quotes.

c) You're much more likely to end up with a c-section in the hospital!

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
so I am not signing up for the NYtimes tell me was this baby born in the hospital? under what circumstances? was it TTN or truly PPHN? What else? When life threatening things happen it is scary and the people around let her know just how very scary it was and how heroic they were!!!!

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My baby had TTN and I think the midwives and doctors waaaaaaay overreacted. There was mec in my waters when the midwife broke them (wish I hadn't consented), he was deep-suctioned on my perineum (ditto), then the next morning the midwives transferred him to the NICU where he was on IV antibiotics for 4 days until the blood cultures showed there was nothing there. So maybe I'm a little sensitive to the overreactions of the medical profession....

....but I'm also pissed off because I think this article was about her fears, not about science reporting.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Grrr ...

She wrote: "My experience with this otherwise perfect birth and baby reaffirmed my belief that all babies should be born in well-equipped hospitals, with neonatologists at the ready and a neonatal intensive care unit down the hall. If Baby T had been delivered at a birthing center distant from a hospital or, worse, at home, he probably would have died or, had he survived, suffered irreversible organ failure and brain damage."
and: "This is why proximity to a well-equipped neonatal intensive care unit, a neonatologist and a well-trained nursing team is so critical."

What about all of the hospitals that don't have those things?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Quote:
Had Baby T not responded adequately on his own, other measures would have been necessary that required transferring him to another hospital.
So, even being born in this fabulous hospital, he might still have required a transfer.

·
Registered
25,064 Posts
What is PPHN?

Is it the same as hyaline membrane sydrome? Or respiratory distress syndrome? --- if yes, then yes, this is strongly associated with drugged hospital born babies and babies born by Caesarean Section without labor stimulating them.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
OK. The letters in response to this article were crazy. The first was completely anemic. The author pointed out that it was the observant nurse who actually saved the baby, but the tone was very conciliatory. The other letter was from a doctor who said that absolutely all babies should be born in the hospital.

Please Please Please write letters about this! I am going to, but I don't know the homebirth literature very well. I will be digging around for info on the safety of homebirth and also on PPHN.

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Where did you see the letters in response? On the op-ed page? I seem to have missed them.

I am thinking about putting together a huge packet of information on the safety of planned homebirth and sending it to her. Wonder if she'd read it....

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
The letters were in the Science Times section yesterday.
Quirky: Please do send her a packet! I am pretty sure she nursed her twins, so maybe Brody is not a lost cause!

I am trying to work on this letter, but I have my in-laws here until tomorrow and my mom until Friday, so I don't have much time. I hope to get something out by this weekend. I would especially love it if an experienced midwife or sympathetic OB wrote a letter. I'm a nurse practitioner, but I don't work in obstetrics, so it doesn't give me much credibility. Of course, I still feel more qualified to write about this stuff than Jane Brody!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by katja
Can I just tell you all how much I hate Jane Brody? I guess I love to hate her though, because I read her column every week LOL.
yup, me too

i find her holier-than-thou attitude hard to take sometimes, but she does write about fascinating subjects - so i must read! ack!

·
Premium Member
22,696 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quirky View Post
b) I did some google research and found a study showing that PPHN occurs at a five-fold greater rate in babies delivered by c-section, and that the incidence of PPHN in vaginally delivered babies was 0.37 per 1000. A lot better odds than the 1 in 700 she quotes.
Hello, I found this thread and this particular passage by googling PPHN and c-section, because I was curious if there was a link between the two. I am amused it led me here, to a site where I am a member.
Anyway, sorry to bump an old thread, but I am interested in this topic and will continue to research it.

·
Registered
722 Posts
and she says that being at home is worse than a birth center far away from a hospital? Does that mean she thinks if your home is a few blocks away from a hospital it is still less safe?
:

·
Registered
774 Posts
: Um, what about people who live in towns with level I hospitals? People never think of that. I'm not sure how even the staunchest anti-homebirth loon could state that giving birth at a germ-filled basic hospital without anesthesiologists present 24 hours/day, no NICU, etc is ANY safer than giving birth at home. Either way would require a transfer to another hospital, and in some cases that means a LONG transport!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.