Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today I had my 36 week visit - nothing too out of the ordinary.

I mentioned how I've been having fairly constant rythmic back pain and cramps similar to gas cramps {but it's not gas, I'm sure of it} for the past 5 days. Along with loose stools and increased clear watery discharge that feels similar to my period {not a gush, but definately there}.

To me, that's reason for an internal to check for dialiation and/or leakage, especially since I have little sensation in the area of my uterus {I can see baby move, but not feel it a lot of the time}. Maybe I'm wrong though.

My OB - "We don't check for dialation here in the clinic - and it's too early to check anyways." The only thing they were insterested in doing was retaking the GBS test - which had come back neg at 32 weeks.

Argh!!!!!! I just wanted to know if anything was going on down there- I'm still working part time and didn't really want to go into labor at work, ya know!

Guess I'll just have to try and check myself tonight - if I can reach it

·
Registered
614 Posts
Hi! I'm sorry your OB is being a pain in the ... uterus. I wouldn't worry, though. You could be 3 cm dialated and not go into labor for weeks, and you could have an internal exam showing 'nothing' going on and go into labor as you're walking out the doc's door. It doesn't really tell you much.

And if your OB is worried about GBS (for whatever reason) that is actually a *good* reason not to do any internal exams ... you're more likely to pick up germies that way.

FWIW I'm declining all internal exams (including GBS test) up until I show up at the birthing center hopefully so far along in labor they'll try to check my dialation and end up catching a baby.

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mojumi
Hi! I'm sorry your OB is being a pain in the ... uterus. I wouldn't worry, though. You could be 3 cm dialated and not go into labor for weeks, and you could have an internal exam showing 'nothing' going on and go into labor as you're walking out the doc's door. It doesn't really tell you much.

And if your OB is worried about GBS (for whatever reason) that is actually a *good* reason not to do any internal exams ... you're more likely to pick up germies that way.

FWIW I'm declining all internal exams (including GBS test) up until I show up at the birthing center hopefully so far along in labor they'll try to check my dialation and end up catching a baby.

No checking at all for me, even in labour

·
Registered
252 Posts
You can check yourself.... why wait for the doc and his germs.... jjust reach up there and find out. I am pretty surprised he didn't take you up on your offer.... but then again , it wasn't his idea.
It's easy... just give it a try.
Tricia

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Triciabn
You can check yourself.... why wait for the doc and his germs.... jjust reach up there and find out. I am pretty surprised he didn't take you up on your offer.... but then again , it wasn't his idea.
It's easy... just give it a try.
Tricia
I tried to tonight - can't reach my cervix
: My tummy is too big!

I'm used to checking myself pre-pg, but seems as though everything has moved around in there lately

I go back in a week, so maybe they will check me then.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.