Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,680 Posts
Art is incorporated into history, literature, or whatever else we are doing. A few examples,

Today we are making our own "cave paintings" on brown paper. We're going to look at samples of cave paintings (particularly European ones) and try to copy the technique while incorporating our own images. This goes with European Pre-History.

We made our own Trojan Horse for Ancient Greece.

Dd made a paper mache dinosaur hat for her dino unit.

We made a model of the solar system for science. As well as water color paintings to simulate Hubble images.

So, right now, I don't do art as a separate unit. It compliments whatever else we are doing at the time.

· Registered
1,042 Posts
If you're interested in the technical aspects of art itself, we like Art Adventures at Home and have gotten good use out of it. As far as art history, that's usually intertwined with history history around here.

· Registered
247 Posts
My DD loves art, so we have been looking into art type programs for her to just follow along with, not really as subject or serious just yet... more as hobby for her. She is entering K next year, so we aren't really pushing anything :c). We do lots of arts & crafts and drawing now. It is our favorite activity to do together. But she asks "how did they do that?" when she sees paintings or drawings. I know she is very intersted in the tech aspect of drawing and painting. I have bringing home books from the library on how to draw and books with artwork from other artist and children. If her brother isn't bothering us, she likes to look at it because she concentrates a lot when looking at the drawings/paintings.

I have found these online/video programs at the homeschool buyers co-op site for learning how to draw which seem interesting and much cheaper than actual lessons. We wanted live instruction because quite frankly we have no clue how to teach someone else how to draw or paint, the technical aspects of color etc. Maybe we can learn too. Some of them have free lessons.

http://www.meetthemasters.com/homesc...urriculum.html
http://www.draw3d.com/OnlineVideo.html

That aside... We do want to do a year of Histroy in Art for her when she is about 2nd grade. Hoping this can help spark her more and introduce her to different types of artist and their styles. All subjective of course (meaning its 2 years away). We are doing this to brigde the gap bewteen our younger because he will start school when she is in 3rd grade and we wanted to combine their science/history from than on for the next 7-8 years to make it easier on us :c), so she has this extra year where we wanted to do something fun just for her. There will be lots of review for her of course because we do plan to include Art in everything we do for History, but that particular year we were going to focus on it. Anyhow, looking for suggestions for this type of curriculum too, haven't found anything that stood out at me yet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.