Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found out about my GSDs dysplastic elbows when he was two. They have never slowed him down even for a second - until now. He's 10 and his gait has changed over the last few months. These last three days he has been limping and he's been a little sensitive. I've been keeping a close eye in him because he doesn't like to show his weaknesses. When I flex his elbows he stays relaxed, but doesn't seem to have full range of motion and they are crunchy and swollen. Aspirin isn't cutting it. Before I take him to the vet, the chiropractor and everyone else I can think of, I thought I would get opinions here.<br><br>
1. What's the best pain killer for this situation? He's 80 lbs, if that matters.<br>
2. What's the best bed for this situation?<br>
3. What is the best short term and long term treatment?<br>
4. Is there anything I can do nutritionally?<br>
5. Has anyone here tried acupuncture for this? How did that work?<br><br>
Any thoughts are appreciated. TIA

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
1. I would certainly work at this point at getting him pain-free. He should have another good couple of years in him if the elbows are OK.<br><br>
2. Do you mean bet or bed? I'm guessing bet--I think that you're now at the point of juicing up his treatment regimen. There are a LOT of options.<br><br>
3. I would investigate <a href="http://www.caberfeidh.com/Adequan.htm" target="_blank">Adequan</a> injections. I'd also begin supplementing now.<br><br>
4. Nutritionally, Glyco-Flex is getting some of the best press among the breeders I've heard from. It's pretty expensive (he'd need the "III" formula) so you may want to look for horse equivalents. The magic ingredient seems to be the perna mussel shell in combination with glucosamine and MSM. Raw lung is also really, really good for arthritis, probably because it's all connective tissue itself.<br><br>
5. I have not personally used acupuncture for dysplasia, but I have used it for muscle/bone injury and it was near-miraculous. The previously screaming dog promtly fell asleep and I literally watched the enormous swelling go down.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! This gives me hope. I've been feeling very down about this, but now I have some hope. I'm going to call my local vet this afternoon re: Adequan. They're used to my talking them into what I want anyway. They went from 100% mainstream, to raw-feeding (because of me), not always vaxing to the max, and hiring a holistic vet who does acupuncture. Now if I could only convince MSU about the raw-feeding...<br><br>
Do you know of any good sources for Glyco-Flex or should I just go googling about?<br><br>
Forgive my ignorance, but beef lung or some other animal? Should I have it ground or just throw it down and run from it like I do when I give them a head or tripe? (gag)<br><br>
Would you do all of this together? Adequan, Glyco-Flex...?<br><br>
We're going to the chiropractor this afternoon. I'm going to get an appointment for acupuncture ASAP.<br><br>
Many dogs in his line have lived to 13 or 14, so I'm hopeful. Stupid elbows!

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
I don't have a specific source for the Glyco-Flex, sorry. I just feed the lung whole--it's not gross. Basically a pink marshmallow. I feed whatever species I can get--right now it's lamb.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts