Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
9,242 Posts
It seems really cruel to direct his religion and/or politics onto her like that. There have to be thousands of other Hollywood types recreationally taking drugs he could spar with instead. That pot shot about her acting career is also pretty low. Even he will someday have to make room for a new pretty boy. Odd, just odd.

· Registered
4,494 Posts
IMO he has a point, but came across very rudely. I watched the entire interview on Access Hollywood and it seems like he was trying to address the fact that so many Americans are in this "pop a pill" mindset and ignore more holistic means of mental health such as addressing nutritional deficiencies, trauma/ emotional issues, etc.

I don't know anything about Scientology or what Cruise's beliefs are so it may be possible that he is totally off his nut...but- from watching the interview it seemed like he was saying that we need to be less pill happy and more focused on finding underlying causes of depression such as abnormal hormonal fluctuations and address those?

That said, he has never given birth himself and doesn't know what the baby blues are like. much less PPD- so he shouldn't be belittling Brooke's plight...

· Registered
9,242 Posts
I think there are enough folks out there using drugs, recreationally and medically, for good or bad, that women who might have killed themselves or their children without help- of whatever kind-- don't need to be outed by ego-centric actors with no medical backgroud, or post partum history.

My dh is fond of saying that 'there are a lot of uneducated, arrogant blowhards out there with platforms they have no legitimate right to'. I think a guy with simply an opinion, telling a women who has sufferred from the very real dangers of PPD and PPP that she is unthinkingly 'pill popping' can be included in with arrogant blowhards of the highest degree.

I don't often get riled by stupid celebrities, but this gets me because he has no background to comment on treatment for such a difficult and potenially deadly condition. Long before there were medical treatments, there was still PPD & PPP-- and infanticide. It's not a 'modern' problem. We've added a 'modern' treatment, which is just one of a number approaches to the problem. I don't believe suffering post partum women need another mysoginist up their butts about how to be the 'perfect' mother. There isn't a magic 'vitamin out there for all that ails us humans, either.

Maybe there's a B vitiman he can take to shuddup already.

· Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't even know there was a whole interview - I'll have to see if I can find that somewhere.

I just finished her book and it was so graphic and real - really a cry for help - and to hear him criticizing her just angers me to no end. The complete lack of empathy is shocking, but not surprising. I know his own children were adopted and perhaps he hasn't had a lot of experience around pregnant women or people suffering from depression, but I agree with the pp that his attitude is ego-centric. You're right - there are plenty of other people he could be focusing his holier-than-thou attitude on than Brooke Shields.

· Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by UUMom
I don't often get riled by stupid celebrities, but this gets me because he has no background to comment on treatment for such a difficult and potenially deadly condition. Long before there were medical treatments, there was still PPD & PPP-- and infanticide. It's not a 'modern' problem. We've added a 'modern' treatment, which is just one of a number approaches to the problem. I don't believe suffering post partum women need another mysoginist up their butts about how to be the 'perfect' mother. There isn't a magic 'vitamin out there for all that ails us humans, either.

Maybe there's a B vitiman he can take to shuddup already.
Exactly. She struggled so much in the book, too, to get over the notion of chemical reliance and asking for help. Like most people, she took herself off it once cold-turkey out of shame and relapsed.

Argh!
:

· Registered
2,336 Posts
I'd like to see him walk a mile in any of our shoes,i bet he couldn't!!
vitamins!
I think brooke sheilds hit it on the head "stick to saving the world from aliens' or something along those lines!!
Natasha
Wife to Dominic

Mama to Issi
maker
Griffin
:
:

· Registered
282 Posts
what an idiot. Tom needs to keep his nose out of other peoples business.

Now - I can see how pills are way overused in our society, but as someone who has suffered from PPD after each of my babies, I think that taking antidepressants saved my sanity and my marriage. There are good uses for everything out there, as long as they aren't abused. I stopped taking the medication a few months later and I am very happy that I had that option open to me.

· Registered
1,997 Posts
Doesn't the word "chemical" imply there is a scientific basis????

He states: "When you talk about postpartum, you can take people today, women, and what you do is you use vitamins. There is a hormonal thing that is going on, scientifically, you can prove that. But when you talk about emotional, chemical imbalances in people, there is no science behind that," the actor told Access Hollywood.

:

What a jerk! It's sad when I'm more in favor of howard stern than tom cruise.

· Registered
1,637 Posts
My dh never thought Tom had 1/2 a brain. Now I am sure that he is right!

Evil as it is, after acting like a monkey while describing his love for Katie, wouldn't it be frickin' sad that she should get pregnant and suffer from a hormal/chemical imbalance? I am most sure he would throw her A$$ out the door, or perform mind-controlling tactics to get her to "SHAPE UP"!!

He is a SCARY,SCARY, FREAK......WITH TOO MUCH $$$$.

I will never go to another movie he is in, nor will anyone I know!!!

You go Tom!!! You endocrinologist you!!!!
:
:puke :puke :puke :puke :puke

mp

· Registered
3,300 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveChild421
IMO he has a point, but came across very rudely. I watched the entire interview on Access Hollywood and it seems like he was trying to address the fact that so many Americans are in this "pop a pill" mindset and ignore more holistic means of mental health such as addressing nutritional deficiencies, trauma/ emotional issues, etc.

I don't know anything about Scientology or what Cruise's beliefs are so it may be possible that he is totally off his nut...but- from watching the interview it seemed like he was saying that we need to be less pill happy and more focused on finding underlying causes of depression such as abnormal hormonal fluctuations and address those?

That said, he has never given birth himself and doesn't know what the baby blues are like. much less PPD- so he shouldn't be belittling Brooke's plight...
This is how I felt when I heard about Tom spouting his mouth off about
a subject he can't possibly know anything about. One he hasn't been
pregnant, two he has never been coupled with somebody pregnant, so
I don't know why he has suddenly taken on this soapbox. He has no idea
what Brooke is going threw, and if he wants to talk about how America
is pill happy, then I wish he could have kept his views only on that
subject without making it personal using Brooke as his example.
BUT as much as I wish he would shut up, his interview with Matt Lauer
on the Today show he had many points I thought were valid dealing with
people thinking all it takes is a pill and I will be all better.

In the end I wish Tom would shut up, but I do wish somebody else with
experience with the subject would talk more. Make sense?

Like Jimmy Kimmel said on his show last week. "If we promise to go see
'War of the Worlds,' will you please make this stop?"

· Registered
1,234 Posts
Silly me, all I needed was to take more vitamins? Why on earth didn't I think of that? Must be because I'm not a super-smart scientologist like him.

Oh wait, I DID take vitamins - loads of them - and vitamin shots in my a$$, plus every other non-medical thing I could think of/accomplish. Didn't work for me.

I find it particularly ironic that someone who no doubt has a highly-paid entourage of people to keep his life in running order should condemn others for getting sick and wanting to get better. Granted, Brooke Shields has those same advantages and it didn't save her from going through a personal [email protected], but it must be nice to be able to have a personal chef, personal trainer, personal assistant, housecleaners, nannies, bill payers, and so on do most of the work to keep you well and cared for. Maybe if I had all that I would only need a few extra vitamins here and there.

Twit.

Carol

· Registered
71 Posts
I am so glad to have stumbled onto this thread.

I think one of the best comments I have heard is the one along the lines of
"I don't get my acting advice from my doctor, so why would I take medical advice from an actor".....

My other thought is...aren't hormones a chemical??? If that is true than hormone imbalance IS a chemical imbalance. Is he going to take shots at the 50 something actresses going through menopause next?

I also loved in the interview when he called antidepressants antipsychotics....clearly demonstrating his 'knowledge' of psychiatry.

· Registered
856 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gorillakeeper
I am so glad to have stumbled onto this thread.

I think one of the best comments I have heard is the one along the lines of
"I don't get my acting advice from my doctor, so why would I take medical advice from an actor".....

My other thought is...aren't hormones a chemical??? If that is true than hormone imbalance IS a chemical imbalance. Is he going to take shots at the 50 something actresses going through menopause next?

I also loved in the interview when he called antidepressants antipsychotics....clearly demonstrating his 'knowledge' of psychiatry.
[/QUOTE]I also loved in the interview when he called antidepressants antipsychotics....clearly demonstrating his 'knowledge' of psychiatry.
yes yes yes I noticed that too. Those two drugs are NOT the same thing. He obviously doesn't know what he's talking about. I was enraged when I heard the interview. I want to give Brook a big hug. I am on antidepressants right now for PPD and I personally felt so insulted. It is a huge effort to ignore it and know in my heart I'm doing the right thing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.