Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I have been using Vitamin C powder for my 4 and 1 year plus for me and Dh but I have been searching through threads and have read Sodium ascorbate is better.
Does anyone have any more links that can help better explain it and what dosage should be used for sickness and for health?
I will try to search through the threads when I have more time but if anyone has any quick links I would much appreciate it.
My 4 yo has a cold/cough and usually has breathing problems when he gets sick so I like to do high doses of vitamin c and D3 but I ran out of the Vitamin C powder, before I buy more I'd love to know about the sodium ascorbate so I could get that instead..

Thank you so much!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I know no one has replied yet but I have been searching and I've come up with that sodium ascorbate is alkaline and ascorbic acid is acidic so the Sodium Ascorbate is better for sickness and is more available to the body?
Is this right?
Does the Sodium ascorbate have salt in it? Please forgive me for sounding so clueless.
Anyone who has any knowledge please let me know, I am so confused

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
you are correct. It is also buffered by the sodium so it is easier on the tummy. This info is from Hilary Butler and is spot on

Quote:
In order to metabolise ascorbate, the Vitamin C needs a sodium ion. It splits into two compounds, one of which is used, the other excreted. The basic biochemical unit of the cell is the sodium ion. Do not use Ascorbic Acid. Again, ascorbic acid requires sodium with which to split it into two compounds one of which is excreted, and one used. If you use anything other than sodium ascorbate for any length of time, the sodium balance in the cells gets severely disrupted, particularly in those who don't use much salt in their diet, and the immune system can crash. if you must use ascorbic acid, buffer it with bicarbonate of soda.
as for dosage, you need to play around with it to see what works best your your LO. When my LO is sick, I know he needs a ton more SA than when he is well. I'd experiment with bowel tolerance to see what your Lo needs when well and when ill.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.