Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it was a week past my due date, my Mom flew in from Texas (I live in Wa), everyone else was waiting by the phone and Ashton was snug as a bug with no thoughts of vacating. I decided to try a trick I learned a few years back on the food network. Eggplant parmesan. Sounds silly, but it apperently worked for a lot of women! So that night we went to the Olive Garden. DH wanted beer that afterwards, and I said sure, I don't think he's coming tongiht. HA!

10pm rolls around, Mom is one the couch asleep, dh is in his computer chair asleep (after his 6 pack!) and I'm in bed. I suddenly woke up with the urge to pee, and as I sat up I felt a little trickle. So I made it to the bathroom and peed. Got back in bed and the same thing happened. After changig underwear about 4 times, I decided I might be leaking AF. Gee, ya think! So I go into the livingroom to tell passed out dh and Mom my news. Mom jumps out of bed like someone goosed her, dh continues to sleep.... So, I tell him to get into bed and sleep off the beer so my Mom doesn't have to drive me to the birth center! As he stands up, he falls to the ground b/c his legs were alseep. I bust up laughing and sure enough, my water completely broke! I called my midwife, Audrey who came over with Jen, her student and they took me on a little walk at around midnight. By now I've had just a few contractions. They decide to leave and tell me to go to bed and rest. I tried to rest while my AF kept leaking, and finally got up around 4 to take a shower. By then my contractions were about 8 minutes apart. After my shower, they were a little closer so I called my midwife back. She said she'd be there in about 20 minutes. I went and dried my hair and they were all of a sudden 3 minutes apart. I called my midwife back again and said I'll meet you there! After FINALLY convincing dh that I was in labor, we left for the bc. In the car they were getting stronger and about a minute apart. We arrived at The Birthing Inn and I immediatly got into the tub. It was sooo nice! I was able to completely relax the lower half of my body during my contractions.

After two hours of contractions, I was beginning to wish for an epidural, my mw checked my cervix and I was only at a six! Not a minute later I announced that I needed to push. She had to manipulate my cervix with the next push the lip back, which I didn't even feel. I was much too concerned with this new feeling to push that had suddenly taken over. I cannot describe how empowering it was to have my midwife, Jen and Gretchen (other mw) looking over me, giving me the strength to bring life into this world! My husband was an amazing support, but I couldn't have done it without my widwife. It's interesting how different of an experience this was from the birth of my daughter in a hospital. Her birth was so medical, but this was so natural and "lovely" as Audrey would say. I've never felt so powerful and womanly. It was just an amazing experience!

After about five minutes of pushing, Audrey put him in my arms and I just cried. He was sleeping and looked so peaceful. My dh took off his shirt and held him while I delived the placenta. Apparently, my uterus wasn't contracting and I was bleeding a lot. I was developing clots and even though both Audrey and Gretchen vigorously (and painfully) massaged my uterus, it wouldn't stop. Finally, Audrey had to reach in and scrap the inside of my cervix and remoe the clots. This continued for a while and after getting pitocin and taking some homeopaths and continuing the awful massage, it stopped. They were close to taking me to the hospital. Throughout is all tmy midwives were so professional and took such great care of me. I could see the concern in their eyes, but they did everything right and it turned out fine! I love my midwife! I'm still a little afraid of Gretchen though and her scary massage hards! I think she actually has a nickname, something like "the Pusher"! My recovery took a little longer than it would have because of the blood loss, but I was pretty nice being in bed!

Ashton weighed in at 8lbs and 11ozs and 21 inches long. I didn't tear or anything. And since he had a huge melon and his arm up, that's pretty amazing! He's 2.5 months old now and weighs a wopping 15lbs! He's my chunky monkey!- And he still loves being in water!!!

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
That is beautiful-congratulations. I did
at the part where you laughed at your dh and your water broke.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Thanks for sharing your story. It sounds like you had a great experience. I also wanted to say that I'm using the same midwives for my upcoming birth, and it's fun to read about their role in yours! Congratulations on your little boy!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.