Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been asking dd recently to pick the living room up, she is almost 7yo. What I am asking her to pick up is toys that her and ds have left laying along with trash that they make. I think it is only fair that she help out and I have ds pick up some as well but he is only 2yo so he cant do as much.

I have a horrible time keeping the house clean as it is. I was never made to do anything like this but I think that is part of the reason I have such a hard time cleaning now. I just dont know how to go about it.

How much is to much to ask them to do? It didnt take her but 5-10 min with plenty of goofing off in between to get it done. Should I just let it be and do it all myself or is it ok to have them clean up after themselves?

I am not talking about hours of work here just basic picking up so that you can walk without stepping on stuff so that when people do come by it dosnt look like a tornado hit. I welcome your thoughts and suggestions.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
I've had ds1 picking up his own toys since he was about 4. Ds2 copies his brother (sometimes.
) I helped him some when he was littler, showed him where things went. He does it on his own now, usually without any prompting. If it's a really bad mess or we're in a hurry, I'll help him out.

For the record, my mom always made us clean up our messes and help with cleaning/dishes and I hate doing all that stuff and avoid it as much as possible, so I think it's more personality based than anything. Sure doesn't hurt to at least get them used to the idea of cleaning up after themselves, though.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
We emphasize taking care of yourself here. That includes everything from cleaning up your own messes to dressing to setting the table...whatever is age appropriate. Cleaning your own mess is appropriate from the toddler years on, and by age 7, should be able to do it without help from mom other than a clear plan of action.

I don't ask, though. I play show and tell.
"You need to clean up the scraps of fabric and take them to your room." - as we stand looking at them in the living room. No 'please', no 'will you', no favors for me, not my needs or wants. It is a need to have the communal rooms clean and comfortable for everyone, therefore it is a need that the child take care of his/her mess so that it can be. Phrasing it as such makes it less negotiable, more clear direction for the child instead of muddling it with my emotions.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I bet if you are feeling overwhelmed, that she is too! I try to break it down into smaller tasks for DS. Like first lets pick up the cars, then after that the blocks, then the trains, etc. Eventually, between us we can get it done. Also, the 2 year old can help too, but you have to get even more specific with them...pick up THIS car, pick up THIS block, etc. Good luck! I know picking up is not my favorite chore either!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.