Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my two year old will ask for something over and over until he gets it, even if it is something i am ok with him having and i am just busy with the babe and ask him to wait a minute or something. What do I do? Ignore it? What kind of limits should be imposed (like if he asks for 8 cups of water before bed)? I need help with this. He will sometimes get very upset and scream.

·
Premium Member
12,445 Posts
I hated this stage!<br><br>
If I remember correctly the 'fastest' way to cure it was to<br>
1. State the child's words back to them directly. "You want a cup of water."<br>
2. Give your answer. "Yes, you can have a cup of water." or "We're eating dinner in 2 minutes, so we can't start a TV show right now."<br>
3. Give when you will do it. "I'll give you a cup of water in 2 minutes as soon as I'm done going to the bathroom." or "You can watch TV tomorrow."<br><br>
Answer twice and then say "I gave you my answer. I'm done."

·
Registered
128 Posts
Oh boy we have this situation too. It is so difficult. I just try to make sure that they know I am listening to what they are requesting. I'll keep repeating back to them what the request is, so they know I understand what they are asking for. If it is something I am fine with I just keep repeating that "Yes you can have the glass of water, I'm going to get it right now, please wait patiently I'll be right back." I also try to start warning them that this is the last glass of water they should need tonight and give them reasons why. It doesn't always work, sometimes I'll end up getting just one more glass of water. I make that decision based on my intution and what I think they can handle.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
You've gotten some great advice. The only other thing I do in addition to this is, when I do (for example), bring the glass of water, I say, "you asked so nicely for a glass of water and you waited so well. Here is your glass of water". I think this reinforces that, yes, you might have to wait, but I haven't forgotten and I WILL follow through.

·
Registered
587 Posts
my family thinks Im crazy at times but I really like teaching kids to do things for themselves. For most things that my 2 & 4 yr old want there is a way to make it kid-doable. that way I can say "you can get yourself some water or wait until Im done with...."

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I tell him when he can have it. Then say "This is the last time I'm answering this" and then finally respond to each request with "I already answered that"/<br><br>
It drives me INSANE.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts