Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but we have just moved into a new home & now have the no shoes rule. How do I tactfully ask (verbally or by using a sign of some sort) my guests to remove their shoes? I already know we will be putting out slippers and socks for them to wear if they wish. Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
When I invite people over for the first time I jokingly say don't wear holey socks or bring some slippers along because we don't do shoes inside. I always "blame" it on our very light beige carpet so it doesn't seem like I'm some neat freak, but honestly it creeps me out to think of where shoes have been and then having them all over my home.
:

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
There was a thread about this recently somewhere on here....No idea which forum it was in though.

Anyway, I always ask people to take off their shoes. It seems pretty obvious to me that it should be done as it is dirty outside and I want it clean inside (and there is a big pile of shoes by the door!
) There are little signs out there you can get.

http://www.eastwestexpressions.com/removeshoes.html

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
We used to have the same rule in our house before dd was born. Right by our froont door we have a bench with our shoes and guest slippers in them. That way there's a comfortable place for your guests to sit down and store their shoes. Most people would automatically take their shoes off and the few that didn't I asked to.

Also, I don't think it's that strange to have a no shoe policy. When dh studied/worked abroad in Asia, nobody ever wore their in the house and in some restaurants.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Living in Alaska it is totally common to take your shoes off at someone's home and pretty rude if you don't. In the Winter it's because shoes are wet and snowy, spring, summer and fall... it's the mud and dirt. Just the other day I told someone to keep their shoes ON because I needed to sweep and mop our tile floor anyway.

If you have light carpet you have every right to say no shoes. Some people have some catchy little sign on their door or at their entrance or they just have shoes on a rug as you come in so people know there is a no shoe policy and you don't have to say anything.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Quote:
Anyway, I always ask people to take off their shoes. It seems pretty obvious to me that it should be done as it is dirty outside and I want it clean inside (and there is a big pile of shoes by the door! ) There are little signs out there you can get
I missed your reply...could of just quoted you!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
We just came from Hawaii, where there was no shoes in the house either. Red dirt is a PAIN to get out of anything. Most people had something outside to put the shoes on. There were also nice, Hawaiian signs that asked to remove your shoes. They are very asian influenced there, so I am wondering if that is where the custom came from or if it was because of the dirt.

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
I am very "strict" on this! I just tell people to please remove them, noone's ever had a problem with this.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
i picked the no shoes habit in ak, too. i remember very clearly one day when i smelled gas and called the gas co. the gas man took off his boots before entering - w/o me asking/saying anythng. i remember thinking 'if the gas man can in an 'emergency' surely everyone can.'

since we moved to oh we still have the policy, but i don't force it. it's preferred, but i'm getting flexible that life happens. . . .

nak

bettyann

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
I'm in Canada. nobody wears their shoes in the houses. Like a pp said it is rude to do so. It doesn't matter what time of year it is, you take your shoes off.

We don't put slippers or socks out for the guests. If they want them they bring their own. I'd be a little creeped out to put on socks and slippers that x number of people I may or may not know have also worn.

·
Registered
93 Posts
huh! thts funny cause we have a shoes in the house rule. We have so many animals that go in and out and we are constantly working outside and coming in for tools and stuff! Im the contradiction, I wouldnt want everyones socks getting all wet and dirty!

·
Registered
704 Posts
We also have a no shoe policy. Fortunately my son goes to a waldorf preschool and they also have a no shoe rule. So it is not so hard to enforce with him. I love those signs from the website. I wish we had enough money to buy one.

My mother is the only one who has a problem with taking off her shoes
: She thinks I'm ridiculus(sp)

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
I know MDC rocks- this subject came up on another site, and I got flamed for thinking the removal of shoes was a good idea. Women took the idea to mean that I think if they don't have people remove their shoes that their house is filthy *sigh*.

Ok, now how to convince a DH to remove shoes?!?!? Signs, pleading, etc., don't work. I do the best I can myself and with the DC. But I literally spend a good portion of my days ragging ('cause that's what it ends up being) on everyone to take off their 'outside' shoes (we have 'inside' and 'outside' shoes). Or not to run around outside in the dirt and mud in their socks or inside shoes. *sigh*

And as far as guests go, in our old house DH and I had JUST finished completely redoing the wood floors and the telephone guy came for an issue. I asked him to remove his big, clunky, muddy, dirty boots with the reasoning that we had just redone the floors (as if I should have to explain *sigh*) and he acted sooooooooooo inconvenienced. DH was appalled that I had the guy take off shoes and sided with his bad attitude. Even though DH had done all the sanding (a lot by HAND, even) and other work on the floors. So I'm a little 'gun shy' on requesting guests to remove shoes. Especially when they are service people and might be going in and out to their vehicle, and/or have tie-up shoes/boots. What do you all do in this situation?

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Service people are a lost cause - only a few will take off their shoes without you asking.

As for guests, I think it may be less of a problem. Say something like, "I know this is a pain and I feel silly for asking, but we're trying to get less pollen in the house to keep allergies down. We usually keep our shoes in the [insert room or closet here] - if you don't mind, can leave your shoes there?"

If you kind of put the blame on yourself, people are more apt to go along.

The funny thing is, my parents and grandparents and all their friends have a no-shoe policy, but it's not even talked about, it's a given. We're Indian though. We have flip flops to wear around the house and in my house, I'm not sure if it's in other Indian families, it's considered unsanitary to walk in the bathroom without your flip flops, especially if you go to the bathroom and then run into bed (my mom is disgusted by the thought of dust, baby powder, hair, blah blah).

I think I picked up on that neurotic habit and I still wear some sort of shoes going into my friends' houses. They know I don't mean anything by it, but when they first meet me, they get terribly offended like their bathrooms aren't clean enough. What gets me are people who think they can walk into a bathroom with SOCKS on.

Truth of the matter yeah - I don't care who you are - the bathroom is not the best place for socks.

I shudder to think about the muck. I'm not talking about this anymore.

Anyway - no shoes for the house - flip flops for the house, esp in the bathroom

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spastica
What gets me are people who think they can walk into a bathroom with SOCKS on.

Truth of the matter yeah - I don't care who you are - the bathroom is not the best place for socks.

Now, see how else am I going to get all those hairs picked up that I'm shedding like crazy? (6months pp. . . .) *cheeky smile*

As for the service person - YES I HAVE asked them to remove their shoes - if they're going thru the main level. If they're installing/delivering something to the basement - like a freezer/water heater/washer - I have them go directly thru that basement door and shoes are ok then. I haven't had anyone refuse to take off shoes yet. If they did, I'd refuse to allow them to do the work AND I wouldn't pay for their service call - as they wouldn't abide by MY terms of service. . . ..

BettyAnn

·
Registered
191 Posts
We also have the no shoes in the house rule. The only one who ever objects is my stepfather. He does it but he grumbles. Mind you this is the same man who insisted on the no shoes in the house when I was growing up! Never wears them in his own house!
:

The best services guys I have ever had, were the guys from the plumbing and heating company. They actually carry rubber slip ons in their pockets and put them on before they come in the house. That way their shoes could stay on, but my floors and new carpets stay clean!

·
Premium Member
6,263 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by VnJW
We just came from Hawaii, where there was no shoes in the house either. Red dirt is a PAIN to get out of anything. Most people had something outside to put the shoes on. There were also nice, Hawaiian signs that asked to remove your shoes. They are very asian influenced there, so I am wondering if that is where the custom came from or if it was because of the dirt.
I live in Hawaii and it's VERY common to not wear shoes in the home. In fact, I don't recall seeing any local person wearing shoes inside the house. It's simply not done. I can just imagine the horrified looks from friends/family if I walked around their homes in my shoes.

I think the strong Asian influence has something to do with leaving shoes outside the front door. You'll often see a sign near the door saying "Mahalo for removing your shoes."

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by my3monkees
The best services guys I have ever had, were the guys from the plumbing and heating company. They actually carry rubber slip ons in their pockets and put them on before they come in the house. That way their shoes could stay on, but my floors and new carpets stay clean!

The guys that installed my new AC did the same thing. I was really impressed. Such a simple thing, but SOO respectful.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bridie's Mama
I already know we will be putting out slippers and socks for them to wear if they wish. Any ideas?
for our shoe laden house I will say that we do have this, extra hardsoled clog/slipper types in a ramndom assortment of sizes.....

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bluebottle
i live in sweden and no one would wear shoes indoors here.
same goes here in Switzerland!
Most people offer slippers or flip flops or something to guests, however. This is mainly important if the floors are cold and/or not carpeted...which is the norm.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.