Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering if any of you have done anything to help your child with Asperger's in the transition from school year to school year with new teachers, new classmates, etc. I was thinking of requesting at his IEP meeting that his non-classified best friend be in his 1st grade class next year to make the transition from one grade to the next easier. As it is, ds has a difficult time just transitioning back into the classroom after a week break. His friend's mother was planning on requesting the same thing on the grounds that her son has social anxiety and would do better with his best friend. Is this possible in an IEP and what could I say to justify it?

·
Registered
7,939 Posts
(Disclaimer that my ASC daughter is homeschooled, so I know nothing of school regulations and IEPs)<br><br>
I don't know about how you could justify it, but I think it is a worthy goal. It was always difficult for me to adjust to the new group every year; many autistics don't like change.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I would definitely request it. Can't hurt to try and worst they can do is say no. Maybe have the K teacher help with her support as she already knows the dynamics between them?

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
I wonder if you could have something in the accommodations section about providing as much familiarity as possible during transitions/changes. Then one way they could do that is have your child's friend and maybe any other kids that they seem to like to play with put in the same class.<br><br>
I don't think you could specify that the child be in the class in the IEP because what if the child moves or changes school or etc? Then the school wouldn't be meeting the IEP but couldn't help it.<br><br>
I do think it is an entirely reasonable request though and I would definitely make it. It just might not go in the IEP or maybe only in an oblique way.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
you can and usually most districts will want that for your child because it makes their job a bit easier. My son who is almost 13 has 2 friends that they keep together (all three have aspergers) and it has made a huge difference

1 - 6 of 6 Posts