Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://rdos.net/eng/Aspie-quiz.php
That's the link to the quiz

My results: http://www.rdos.net/eng/poly12b.php?...&p11=42&p12=52

(ok so since the preview just shows the circle thing on the link, which I don't really get at all, here's what it said:
Your Aspie score: 130 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 73 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie )

So I'm really thinking that it's BS; just found the quiz on (yet another) random google search and took it mostly 'cause I'm bored I guess;

maybe curious how other aspie adults here "found out" I guess too?
:

ETA: ....maybe wrong but mostly thinking it'd be fairly obvious or I'd have known by now, I guess at least in the last 5 mos or so of trying to "find out" for DS. (but there have been a couple occasions where I think, looking at eval questionaires for DS, that I would have been dxed as a kid asking the questions about me....and write off those sites as being bs too..... I know there's a lot of misinformation out there...on the internet about anything really).... and thought *these sites* are reasons why ASD seems so difficult to dx, or is mis- and over- dxd..... can't think of specific ones now, but sure you all know the type - where lots of the *symptoms* are also just normal kid stuff too (like no fear, climbing everythign, etc.)

· Registered
3,340 Posts
I always score really high on those " tests" but I don't know how accurate they are... they seem kind of silly to me! If you are naturally introverted it seems like your score would be really high!

I personally made the connection when researching strategies for my oldest son. Another mom and our homeopath had suggested autism ( which I was really hesitant and rejected the idea of... obviously aspergers doesn't look like classical autism) I had never heard of Aspergers before. When I started to research it I found that I was an even more clearcut case than my son is! It was a real eye opener for me and was so interesting to look back through my childhood and see some things more clearly. I haven't had a diagnosis formally. I am not sure if I ever will really. If I find that I am not coping with life very well then I may do so.

· Registered
10,424 Posts
That's actually the leading method self-dx'ers use. It's around WrongPlanet.net quite a lot and seems to be viewed as reliable. I guess it was done by a psychologist who specializes in ASDs. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong!)

I scored a 173 of 200 on that. And just because you see symptoms in your child or have an official dx for your child doesn't mean you'll immediately see symptoms in you. It wasn't until months after my ds1's dx when he was 7 that I started putting 2+2 together for myself. In addition to that test, I also extensively researched online how Asperger's Syndrome shows up in girls.

It may be "mild" for me, but it's there.

· Registered
1,355 Posts
I tried a different test quite awhile ago: http://www.piepalace.ca/blog/asperger-test-aq-test
On that one I can't remember my exact score, high thirties I think, and strongly indicated Aspergers.

I just tried your test now, and I got:
Your Aspie score: 109 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 82 of 200
You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits.

Who knows? I don't have a diagnosis, but a lot of things seem to fit.

· Registered
1,933 Posts
this exact quiz was part of my journey. The first was the much less inclusive Wired quiz http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/9.12/aqtest.html...
After taking that I kind of jokingly said "weird, what if I am autistic and never even knew it"

when I took the test you linked I said:

Quote:
Your Aspie score: 179 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 32 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

Do you eat the same food and wear the same clothes every day?
*guilty*

I know this is going to sound very... aspergers of me to scrutinize the test, but I don't particularly feel like the test was very complete I feel like my score was artificially inflated by coincidence.
ok I will stop talking now.
With perspective, and connection of some very weird childhood memories, and my mom's flat out refusal to tell me what all of the tests, therapy, etc was for when I was little, I have come to accept that it was always pretty obvious that I am an Aspie. Looking at the DSM-IV criteria... I do not need an aspie quiz, because I can easily qualify when honestly applying those criteria to myself.

· Registered
3,340 Posts
Aspie score 181 out of 200
NT score 35 out of 200

I got 42 on the other test. So bizzare because I don't see my answers as being really odd or anything. My hubby took it and is much more neurotypical than I am. Although some answers were pretty hilarious. On the one that asked if you had a good sense of time he saidthat it was "kind of hard to answer when you didn't even believe in the concept of time". lol

· Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyamo View Post
I tried a different test quite awhile ago: http://www.piepalace.ca/blog/asperger-test-aq-test
On that one I can't remember my exact score, high thirties I think, and strongly indicated Aspergers.

I just tried your test now, and I got:
Your Aspie score: 109 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 82 of 200
You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits.

Who knows? I don't have a diagnosis, but a lot of things seem to fit.
I got 33 on that one.
(blue stuff copied like above)
The test assesses five different areas. Autistic-like responses will show poor social skill, attention switching, communication and imagination, and an exaggerated attention to detail. In other words, geekiness. You scored 33. The ranking below provides some idea of where that AQ fits in.

Score
32 - 50 Scores over 32 are generally taken to indicate Asperger's Syndrome or high-functioning autism, with more than 34 an "extreme" score.
24 Average math contest winner
21 Average male or female computer scientist
19 Average male scientist, and average male or female physicist
18 Average man
17 Average female scientist
15 Average woman, and average male or female biologist
0 - 12

(where's the "I don't have a friggin' clue" smilie?)

· Registered
6,472 Posts
On the first test I scored 127 out of 200 in the aspie section, with 90 out of 200 in the neurotypical section. And on the second test, (which I liked better, personally,) I scored a 32.

And I'm the normalest one in my family. I am trendier, more social, and more extroverted than my mom or most of my siblings. They think I'm weird. Now I know why I don't feel normal anywhere . . .

· Premium Member
9,239 Posts
Does it help to know a really introverted with sensory issues but definitely not autism spectrum person (me) scored:
Your Aspie score: 45 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 146 of 200
You are very likely neurotypical

I am going to have my hubby take that. It's amazing how much I see him in that test--things I thought were just him not Aspie stuff! He didn't discover he might be on the spectrum until our son was diagnosed and he started reading. He's self-diagnosed and presents a whole lot like my pdd-nos son.

Anyway, it seems like a good test to me and I don't think it's unusual to go your whole life and not realize until a child is diagnosed. I think that's somewhat common actually.

· Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbgrace View Post
Does it help to know a really introverted with sensory issues but definitely not autism spectrum person (me) scored:
...that's about how I'd describe myself too.
Except without the sensory part.

· Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShaggyDaddy View Post
With perspective, and connection of some very weird childhood memories, and my mom's flat out refusal to tell me what all of the tests, therapy, etc was for when I was little, I have come to accept that it was always pretty obvious that I am an Aspie. Looking at the DSM-IV criteria... I do not need an aspie quiz, because I can easily qualify when honestly applying those criteria to myself.
Do you wish you would've been told? Would it have made a difference? .....maybe hard to tell/guess after the fact huh?

....seems a bit odd to go through all the therapy w/out ever knowing what for.

OTOH.....maybe they didn't want it to be an *excuse* (on your part, or teachers, or whatever) that would keep you from realizing your full potential.

ETA: ....and do you think the therapies were useful at all ? Or did you have to figure it all out on your own anyway? (and if not useful......just useless or more harm than good?)

· Registered
4,448 Posts
I'm introverted and have some sensory stuff - but I don't have the verbal communication issues the quiz asked about (I'm good with language):

Your Aspie score: 92 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 121 of 200
You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

(I don't have a clue what that diagram is supposed to show... )

· Registered
1,965 Posts
I got a 35 on the one and on the other I scored 109 on the Aspie score and 92 on the neurotypical. It said I had both traits. I agree. Honestly I think i'm a slight aspie with a lot of social training. My ds2 is exactly like me minus the social training.

· Registered
1,780 Posts
Your Aspie score: 107 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 96 of 200
You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

What's the deal with the "hunting"? I've never heard of that.

On the other test I got a 36..

· Registered
1,933 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by azmomtoone View Post
Do you wish you would've been told? Would it have made a difference? .....maybe hard to tell/guess after the fact huh?
Nobody likes being lied to or underestimated, it hurts, a lot. Secrets are about shame, truth is about power.

Quote:

....seems a bit odd to go through all the therapy w/out ever knowing what for.
I was mostly in special classes, and psychotherapy, it was the early 80s, and to my knowledge there wasn't the same level of EI and other therapies available. It really sucked never knowing why I was being tested, why my class was different, why I was different.

Quote:

OTOH.....maybe they didn't want it to be an *excuse* (on your part, or teachers, or whatever) that would keep you from realizing your full potential.
I honestly think my parents were just scared of the big bad Autisticooties, to be perfectly frank, and prideful, I have a high IQ, and my parents treated me as if I was wasting a gift, rather than using an excuse.

Quote:

ETA: ....and do you think the therapies were useful at all ? Or did you have to figure it all out on your own anyway? (and if not useful......just useless or more harm than good?)
Sign language was useful, psychotherapy was the biggest waste of time ever, idiots telling me I was severely depressed because I did not seek out other people, because socialization was not high on my priority list.

It took me a VERY long time, a lot of heart ache, and a lot of help from some really good personal relationships to get to where I am today, maybe if I had figured out early on a way to chew-stim in a socially acceptable way, or maybe if I had learned to self medicate myself with caffeine earlier, or maybe if I had learned that I need to drown out distractions, and think of many things at once before the clarity singular concentration can happen, it would have been easier, maybe if I had listened to music before age 13 I would have learned that I can invent, concentrate, and be productive much easier in the presence of music...

I can't really know that, I can share my hard won tricks with my kids, I can try to be honest and mindful of their sensory, intellectual, and emotional needs, as well as their physical ones, I can provide my parents with working rules to help them interact with my kids in a way they never could with me. I can listen and I can learn, I can know my kids and acknowledge their strengths, and help them overcome their weaknesses. That is what it means to be human though, humanity stands out in its ability to learn things collectively that cannot be learned in a single life time. My son has the head start I never had, and his son will have even more, just like I got more than my dad ever dreamed.

oops, sorry for the manifesto

· Registered
4,529 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShaggyDaddy View Post
Secrets are about shame, truth is about power.
SWEET! If I had space in my siggy, I would so quote you! I just 'came out' Aspie on my MySpace, because I'm ready to take control of the truth and fully be myself. I have things I must say to the world that won't make sense if people don't know who I am.

Also, I never listened to music until my early teen years either. I wish I had been exposed to more music when I was little, because I have absolutely no internal sense of rhythm. Like a duck on crack...

· Registered
2,028 Posts
i have a really hard time with those quizzes, because nothing is so clear cut for me and i can never choose answers.

in all my recent reading for ds (2yo, we are just beginning our discovery of him), i have had a real mind-blowing realization about my life and personality. all my life i have felt personally to blame for all of my social shortcomings. it has always been that if i didn't fit in, it was because i was not trying hard enough. if i think back, the times where i see myself as successful were times when i tried my very best to fit in and belong with a certain kind or group of people, but those are always also the most miserable times of my life.

and now i know it is not my fault, it isnt your fault. you cant just be normal if you try hard enough. what a terrible injustice inflicted upon so many young people, including myself. i dont know where i fit in, and i dont have a lot of regrets, but i hope i never cause my children to believe they are failures for not changing themselves somehow/ bucking up/ getting over it.

i have never felt understood, rarely felt genuinely liked, and prefer at all times to be socially isolated. i have developed a knack for pretense that frightens me, and i try to shy away from people to avoid using it. that is the honest truth about me. if this mystery with ds werent happening, i might have never eplored this truth about me: it's ok. i am not a failure.

· Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
I honestly think my parents were just scared of the big bad Autisticooties, to be perfectly frank,
Quite possible, and can't fault 'em for that.....I've been scared for my son; and way more is known about autism now than 30 yrs ago. (I don't think I ever even heard the word as a kid, not that I can recall.....nowadays, everyone knows someone w/ it).

Quote:
Also, I never listened to music until my early teen years either. I wish I had been exposed to more music when I was little, because I have absolutely no internal sense of rhythm.
.....yeah, i have no sense of rhythm either but we always had some sort of music playing; same in our house now, there's almost always a cd in; w/ the only difference being that we try to include lots of variety, classical stuff that I don't think I ever listened to as a kid; folk, jazz, kid's songs,

oh gotta go more to say but later

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.