Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
3,340 Posts
I always score really high on those " tests" but I don't know how accurate they are... they seem kind of silly to me! If you are naturally introverted it seems like your score would be really high!

I personally made the connection when researching strategies for my oldest son. Another mom and our homeopath had suggested autism ( which I was really hesitant and rejected the idea of... obviously aspergers doesn't look like classical autism) I had never heard of Aspergers before. When I started to research it I found that I was an even more clearcut case than my son is! It was a real eye opener for me and was so interesting to look back through my childhood and see some things more clearly. I haven't had a diagnosis formally. I am not sure if I ever will really. If I find that I am not coping with life very well then I may do so.

· Registered
3,340 Posts
Aspie score 181 out of 200
NT score 35 out of 200

I got 42 on the other test. So bizzare because I don't see my answers as being really odd or anything. My hubby took it and is much more neurotypical than I am. Although some answers were pretty hilarious. On the one that asked if you had a good sense of time he saidthat it was "kind of hard to answer when you didn't even believe in the concept of time". lol

· Registered
3,340 Posts
My parents didn't seem to notice. They knew I was unusual. But I was a fantastic reader and identified as gifted in the early years( then had the gifted diagnosis taken away when I was in grade 5 or six) really clutzy but good at swimming. They thought I had some OCD type of behaviors and I hoarded food at one point. I had really bad anxiety that was misdiagnosed as asthma attacks (rolling eyes!) They were messed up themselves though and alcoholics so they didn't pay much attention. My step brother was diagnosed just a couple of years ago in his 30s with tourrettes. That went unnoticed as well.
Kids that were Aspie back in the 70's or 80s wouldn't have had any " box" that they fit into... we clearly didn't fit the stereotype of classic autism. we were just Seemingly intellegent kiddos with lots and lots of quirks. I just always got blamed for not trying hard enough... always treated like I was wasting potential. I was just considered quirky. It would be interesting to see what teachers really thought about me back then.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.