Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did the DONA training a couple of weeks ago. I have a friend due in November and I have offered to be her doula as one of my certification births. Another friend and LLL leader has said she will give my name out to people she knows looking for a doula. I want to put together some folders for perspective clients, and have some business cards printed up. What do I list as my title?

Doula in training?
DONA Trained Doula in Certification process?

I have posted to my yahoo group of fellow doulas in this area (who took the same training) but thought I could get some responses here.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
You can call yourself a Doula.
You do not need to qualify this title with any professional training to be a "doula".

I have a ton of qualifications, most people don't have a clue what all of the initials are because they are NOT board certifications anyway!
If you were not in the birth community would you have any idea what I did for a living if you saw these initials after my name!!
CD, PCD, CLC, CCBE.

If it comes up tell them your in the process of finishing up your certification.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dewi View Post
You do not need to qualify this title with any professional training to be a "doula".

I have a ton of qualifications, most people don't have a clue what all of the initials are because they are NOT board certifications anyway!
If you were not in the birth community would you have any idea what I did for a living if you saw these initials after my name!!
CD, PCD, CLC, CCBE.

If it comes up tell them your in the process of finishing up your certification.
:

For business cards I would put doula. For website or other doula lists Id put ALACE trained doula. During the interview process, mention that your in training. Or even before the interview, you can mention it in an email inquiry. Its probably better to mention it in an email inquiry. I've had moms email me and after I tell them im training and have only done so many #s of births, they decide that they want an experienced doula
Better to get that out of the way instead of wasting my time and theirs.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
You are a doula! Simple as that. If people ask me who I am certified with, I say I have been trained by DONA and Birthing From Within.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dewi View Post

What she said. You do not have to certify, I am DONA trained and will never certify.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
since I took the classed but then decided that I DIDN'T what to hook up with DONA (just prefered not to take on a label, for personal reasons). I just call myself a birthing doula. when asked how I trained I tell them I trained through DONA. then I go on about ym experiences etc. I don't give the impression I am certified, they usually just want to know i have some basic training.now that I have a couple of years under my belt it isn't as big an issue.

I would NEVER say "doula in training" b/c a doula is always in training. getting 3 births doens't make one a "master doula" any more than gettign 35 births. ykwim? so I just never felt comfortable saying that. I also don't think 3 is enough to give the idea I am some how really extra qualified... 3 just isn't all that much honestly (though you certainly can learn a heck of a lot after 3 births!) I was just upfront with my training, mentoring and experience...

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
My business card just says "birth doula". On my website I say I am "dona trained doula". When I am talking to prospective clients, I tell them I am a DONA trained doula currently pursuing certification. Then I move right into what I did for my training (workshop, breastfeeding course, 5 books, etc) then I move right into my next point.

I think the whole thing with booking clients is to have confidence. Don't be apologetic like "sorry, I am just a new doula and don't have much experience". Rather present it like "I am trained through DONA and very excited to be working as a doula".

Of course there will be clients that want more experience but I have only been trained for 4 months and have 8 clients booked. I think connecting with women, having confidence, and knowing your stuff will book you more clients than certification.

OK, I think I'm rambling a bit
To answer your question....you are a Birth Doula for your title.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm in the same phase...trained, trying to certify, taking on clients (for free right now). My business cards list my name, contact information and business name on the front with "A birth doula service" under the business name. The back has a picture, a kind-of motto (maybe? LOL), and a breif descriptive list of what I do as a doula since many in my area are unaware of what a doula even is at this point. On my website I state that I'm a "DONA trained birth doula." I don't feel that it is required for me to become certified, but I'd like to do so for my sake. People ask if I've been to a class, but that's about it. My trainer said she'd only been asked maybe once if she was certified and she's been a doula for years. It probably depends somewhat on your area, the birth professionals you work with, and your clientell as to whether it is worthwhile to certify or not.

Right now I'm "advertising" mostly by word of mouth. In my small town, if I get a few births in and (hopefully!) help some families have very positive birth experiences, once they start spreading the word I'll be set. The local CNMs (who work at the only OB practice in town) said they'd give out business cards if I gave some to them, so I've done that. I don't know if they hand them out in the "welcome to pregnancy" type of packet or not, but either way, it's good. The local CBE also added my information to her resources list and I know from atleast one person that they did talk about doulas in the class. I figure I'll advertise eventually, but not untill I'm certified (or atleast feel sufficiently experienced to start charging for my services). I probably will do a booth with handouts, information, business cards, etc at a local fair in August just to help spread the word.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
256 Posts
My ob/gyn offered to refer his patients to me while I was a patient. When I was discussing what I was doing to combat my own morning sickness he suggested I consider becoming a doula. I told him I was in the process of getting my certification. He told me he would be delighted to refer his patients to me whenever I was ready to take patients.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I have no intentions of certifying. If it comes down to it, I call myself a "DONA trained doula."

Usually I just call myself a birth and postpartum doula. That's what is on my business cards and website.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.