Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
joining/lurking!

I was blessed to have a postpartum doula for 2 weeks following birth of my first child. I had no family/friends at the time that were available to me and no experience with newborns! This wonderful lady saved my sanity. I feel drawn to this field out of a heart for women who were like me, isolated and alone at such a profound time in their lives. Would like to give back some of the blessing given to me.

have researche Dona.org and Cappa.org, and gotten their info.

One question: how does one go about getting the required experiences to qualify for certification?

Thanks, and God bless you all for the wonderful and caring work you do!1

Janet

·
Registered
500 Posts
When I was working on mine I checked with local doulas in the area and asked who might have clients that need help, but cannot afford it. I got a few clients that way and then I offered to help a friend who just had a baby. She loved having me there to take care of her and her kids while her dh worked.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Our local postpartum doula organization (NAPS) is so swamped with calls from parents looking for doulas that they dont have enough doulas available, and so it is easy to get referrals (even for pay!) as a new or not-yet-certified doula. See if you have a local organization to register with!

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
Hi Janet,
I am in upstate NY too just farther up near Albany. I got my certifying experineces by offering each family 8 hours for free in exchange for filling out the evals. I got two of them from local birth doulas' clients and one from a midwife referal.

Amy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts