Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. My 8 yo dd was just diagnosed with asthma. The doc prescribed 5 mg singulair and 10 mg zyrtec nightly and Flovent 1 puff in the am and 1 puff in the pm. I am so uncomfortable giving her all these meds (especially the flovent -- a steroid). Anyone have any advice?
Thanks,
Violet

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Hi
Sorry about the asthma dx.
I know there are people on here who have experience/research to back up some alternative therapies, and there are also homeopathics that can help with asthma. Have you tried a visit to a homeopathic or naturopathic doctor?
On the more "mainstream" side of things - there are some *excellent* asthma clinics out there that do great education, management, testing, counselling, etc, etc. I know my asthma clinic saved me on many occasions. I cannot stress enough the importance of asthma being treated. And properly treated. As in, no night time symptoms, no asthma symptoms caused by exercise or allergy, and not needing the "emergency" (blue/ventolin derivative) puffer more than three times a week (although, I believe that if you are properly managed, you shouldn't need the ventolin at all, except for pre-exercise/exposure to allergens).
Anyway, I am not familiar with zyrtec, but singulair does wonders for me. Does she have a blue inhaler? I would be really tempted to start her on the flovent asap. That is the one that is the most "important", and also the most hated, I know. However, until you can find an alternative, the Flovent will keep her healthy and out of the hospital. Not just out of the hospital, but able to run, play and keep up with her peers, which almost seems more important to me. Flovent takes 2-3 weeks to kick in, so I would give her the three weeks on *just* Flovent. See how she does, and if you/she deem that things are not managed well enough, add the singulair. Singulair also takes a few weeks to kick in, so, more waiting. Hence the importance of the blue puffer/ventolin in the meantime. I can still remember the first time I used Ventolin - wow! I wasn't diagnosed until I was 13, long after I actually developed asthma, and using the ventolin for the first time was crazy. I could feel cold air in places that never felt air, I didn't realize what normal breathing was supposed to feel like until then.
Anyway, if you are really uncomfortable with the Flovent, you could try her on the Singulair first, and then add the Flovent if improvement isn't sufficient. Keep in mind that Singulair is absolutely useless for a portion of the population, so if she doesn't see any improvement within a few weeks, take her off it as there won't be any improvement at all. I'm sure someone else will be able to help you with the zyrtec.
Is your daughter having lots of symptoms? What kind of testing did they do? This does seem like a very aggresive treatment plan if symptoms are mild. Oh, cut out dairy, that helps a lot with wheezing. And there have been a few studies that show that vit C and E supplementation help with control of asthma.
Good luck with this, and please continue to be an advocate for your daughter! (I know you will be)
Katia
eta: so sorry, I somehow missed the fact that you said DD, not dS. all changed now though.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Katia -- thank you so much for your thorough response. I really appreciate your suggestion of seeing a homeopathic doctor -- I understand they're best for chronic conditions like this. I'm assuming the aggressive treatment is because my daughter has a history of allergies. What I'm most concerned about is also her psychological state -- the diagnosis of asthma really seems to scare her.

Violet

·
Premium Member
11,341 Posts
My son was diagnosed with asthma two years ago. The doctor prescribed 5mg of Singulair at bedtime and that alone has managed his symptoms. Last spring we did a trial of taking him off of it and his symptoms returned so we resumed the SIngulair. We have a ventolin puffer in case of emergency but have never used it.

Last winter I was diagnosed with asthma and it took a long while to get the right combination and dosage of meds. I should have seen the doctor much sooner than I did - by the time I finally admitted there was a problem my lungs were very inflamed. I took the maximum dose of Flovent for a couple of months and then gradually decreased it. I get thrush when I use it so my doctor added 10mg of Singulair at night. With that, I now only need one puff of Flovent at nightime and Ventolin before running. I carry it with me as occasionally I run into an irritant or allergen that closes my chest up. I did a trial of no meds, then Singulair only, and I have found that Singulair plus one puff of Flovent is enough for me now.

You might consider getting the asthma under control with these conventional meds and then once she has stabilized trying other approaches. Now that my asthma is stable I am wanting to do that - but first I had to get the coughing, wheezing and shortness of breath under control.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts