Mothering Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,341 Posts
My son was diagnosed with asthma two years ago. The doctor prescribed 5mg of Singulair at bedtime and that alone has managed his symptoms. Last spring we did a trial of taking him off of it and his symptoms returned so we resumed the SIngulair. We have a ventolin puffer in case of emergency but have never used it.

Last winter I was diagnosed with asthma and it took a long while to get the right combination and dosage of meds. I should have seen the doctor much sooner than I did - by the time I finally admitted there was a problem my lungs were very inflamed. I took the maximum dose of Flovent for a couple of months and then gradually decreased it. I get thrush when I use it so my doctor added 10mg of Singulair at night. With that, I now only need one puff of Flovent at nightime and Ventolin before running. I carry it with me as occasionally I run into an irritant or allergen that closes my chest up. I did a trial of no meds, then Singulair only, and I have found that Singulair plus one puff of Flovent is enough for me now.

You might consider getting the asthma under control with these conventional meds and then once she has stabilized trying other approaches. Now that my asthma is stable I am wanting to do that - but first I had to get the coughing, wheezing and shortness of breath under control.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts