Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21114394/

Quote:
Astronomers have spotted evidence of a second Earth being built around a distant star 424 light-years away.

Using NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope, astronomers have spotted a huge belt of warm dust swirling around a young star called HD 113766 that is just slightly larger than our sun. The dust belt, which scientists suspect is clumping together to form planets, is located in the middle of the star system's terrestrial habitable zone where temperatures are moderate enough to sustain liquid water. Scientists estimate there is enough material in the belt to form a Mars-sized world or larger
Cool!

·
Premium Member
10,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Or being able to live there if you had issues with the inlaws or an ex?

:

·
Registered
520 Posts
That's really cool! I wonder when it will be habitable? A long time from now, I'm sure- but hopefully in our childrens childrens childrens lifetime? I might be waaaay off and it won't be for like a billion years, but it gives me hope that humankind may have a second chance. It's a strange thought. Although, I'm sure 20 light years is much too far to travel in a lifetime- unless "lightspeed" becomes a reality
We'll most likely eventually just become extinct and the new earth(s) will form and then go through the same process as ours... molten lava, dinosaurs, iceage, evolution, etc. Weird... but cool

·
Premium Member
42,757 Posts
I wonder if someone watched our own planet form from far away and spoke of "another habitable planet" but then they didn't believe in global warming so their own planet was a desolate wasteland before this one ever formed.

I am feeling morbid today I guess.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by abimommy View Post
I wonder if someone watched our own planet form from far away and spoke of "another habitable planet" but then they didn't believe in global warming so their own planet was a desolate wasteland before this one ever formed.

I am feeling morbid today I guess.

:
my first thought was great! another planet we can go *%$^ up!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.