Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ds is coming up on a year in a few weeks (
). He nurses for nearly all his nutrition.

In a day he might eat about half a handful (of my size hand) of the organic O cereal, a few peas, a bite or two or our dinner veggie or meat, and some water. He's not into baby food yet and I'm still not giving him dairy, eggs, seafood or nuts.

If we are out all day and busy he may only nurse 4 times but makes up for it all night long. On average I'd say he nurses 10-12 times in a 24 hr period.

Even though I have an older child I don't have a lot of experience as she had some oral issues and didn't eat solids at all until 21 months.

Support, advice, whatever would be great.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Totally normal from here. DD will be 2 in a couple of weeks and STILL nurses 8-12 times a day.... she wasn't eating more than a TINY taste of food here and there at a year.

-Angela

·
Premium Member
11,487 Posts
DS is 17 months and nurses between 8-12 times a day now. He is eating better but for the longest time he didn't eat very much at each sitting. It's exhausting at times but I know he needs it and it growing and thriving so well

·
Registered
364 Posts
DD will be a yr in 8 days.She'll nurse every 2 hrs at home but will go longer if we are out and about.She still wakes to nurse anywhere from every 2-4 hrs at night.
She usually eats 2 solid meals a day and 1 snack usually some diced fruit or cheerios.

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
Hmmm let's see. On the *typical* day, he nursed once during the night, once upon waking, once mid-morning, once before nap, once after nap, and once before bedtime. So that's 6 times. This doesn't include ultra-quick snacks or comfort nursies but even then he probably wasn't brought to the breast more than 10 times a day. I seem to recall 5-7 was average for us.

·
Registered
9,270 Posts
My dd is 20 months and still nurses like 8-12 times a day, plus at least 3 times at night. At a year, it was a bit more than that (probably 12-16 times during the day adn 5 times at night.) She didn't eat any solids because she had gag issues.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
It's nice to be reminded that a mostly breastmilk diet is still OK (actually pretty darn good
) for my dd. Even though I've read it countless times on here I still sometimes doubt it when she goes through a whole day nursing and ingesting almost no solids. In the morning she will eat a small bowl of oatmeal, cream off wheat, etc... She might take a bite or two of a banana, rice cake for a snack. Lunch is pretty much non-existent. Sometimes a very small bowl of homemade soup, some pasta pieces. Dinner is pretty much a no-go because she's so tired. She probably nurses at least 10-15 times/day and another 3-4 at night.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
At 12 months, DS was nursing when he woke up in the morning; at nap time (one nap a day by that time?); before bedtime; and a few times during the night.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Dd is 22 month sand nurses 20+ times a day..still several times a night. Ds was sleeping for 10 hours at night at a year.

mandy

·
Registered
608 Posts
Ethan nursed around 6-7 times when he was one.... he would eat a little solid food but wasn't that into it. We'd nurse when he woke up, before nap, after nap, before bed, and generally 2-3 times during the night too.

BUT after one I think you can put limits on nursing if you want to without any guilt. It becomes more of a give and take. So if Ethan wanted to nurse and I didn't feel like it, I would offer a sippy of milk or water, or a snack, or snugglies instead. Or ask him to wait a bit. Nursing a toddler does not mean you need to continue nursing on demand.

That was one of the things I loved about nursing him as a toddler. Our nursing relationship changed and it became much more of a cooperative thing. We reached a level of understanding that became quite nice, and I do miss it :) But I love nursing my little infant now too!

·
Registered
149 Posts
THANK YOU OP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My almost 12month old is OK then not eating much but just nursing
I am so happy now!!!! I was getting bummed thinking I had to start more food when he just doesn't want to eat. THANK YOU!!!

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
DD is 14 months old, and still nurses about every 2.5 hours, unless we're out, and then, like a pp said, she makes up for it at night. She JUST started eating real food, but thats still only a little

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I just posted the same question not two minutes ago!

I am happy to see that my Ivan is following some others in his loving of nursing and his solid food limits.

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
DD is just a few days shy of 16mo and even though she loves exploring solids she's still around 90% breastmilk only.

Most nights she'll nurse 3-4 times, then every hour during the day she'll do a "boom boom check" (nurse for a minute or two on each side just to make sure the boom booms are still there
) with a serious nursing session maybe every 4 hours or so.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I think you've had lots of examples how common it is to have a late eater. Kids are so different and breastmilk is really "enough" until 18 mos and sometimes even beyond. And believe it or not my DOCTOR even said this-wonder of wonders!
My guy is 20 mos and still nurses for about 75% of his nutrition. He still nurses every 3 hrs or sometimes more and still nurses at least once at night.
I try to offer him different foods and sometimes he's interested and sometimes not...it gets tiring sometimes but I know he'll eat more eventually

Hang in there!
Ann

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wow. I am SOOO glad to hear of other mothers whose children are nursing much more than eating. I always feel better after finding support here.

I could use some suggestions, though.

My ds is almost 23 months. I was starting to be concerned about his food intake, or lack thereof. He is VERY selective. He might love something for one meal or a few days, and then he's done with it.

I'm having the most difficult time with vegetables. He just won't eat them. Sometimes he will eat organic baby food - peas or spinach and carrots. He'll drink "green juices" sometimes (kale or spinach, cucumber, and apple). I found a green bar that he likes, but it is somewhat sweet.

I am wondering if it's maybe a texture thing? Yet, he will sometimes eat organic chicken, cheese, cashews, watermelon, pancakes, blueberries (loves them), oatmeal/cereal, sunshine burgers. He can go a whole day eating very little or asking for crackers or some other low nutritional choice.

Anyone else struggling with this?

I appreciate your insights.

Thanks

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Honestly? I don't worry about it. Not one bit. My dd is nearly 2. Some days she'll eat all sorts of interesting stuff. Some days all she'll eat are cheerios and crackers.
I think that's the way toddlers are designed. Perfect proof that they still need breastmilk for balanced nutrition.

-Angela

·
Premium Member
3,471 Posts
Can I say I'm so grateful for this place? I mean, I feel so weird most of the time explaining to people that my babe nurses so frequently. Half the people think it's weird that I'm still nursing. Thanks for the encouragement, you all!

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
It's so good to see so many other toddlers who barely eat anything!
Out here in IRL land it seems most 1-year-olds eat WAY more than my DD.

At a year, she barely ate any solids, just a taste here and there. Now, at 14 months, she eats a lot more, although still not too much compared to other kids we know. She actually seems to like food and spits it out a lot less. Some things, like watermelon or blueberries, she would eat limitless amounts of if we'd let her. Other things she likes but still only wants a couple of bites.

She nurses a LOT still, a few times at night (mostly in the early mornings - she goes a fair stretch at night) and all the time during the day. And her top teeth are KILLING my nipples.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts