Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/6/1...n-howard-finally-freed-by-diagnosis-of-autism

Another case of a person getting diagnosed with autism in adulthood. His story about the abuse he suffered from other children and even his teachers is tragic :(

In Howard's case, he noticed his problems early on. Speech was always difficult for him, as were more abstract social skills like education and relationship building. He stuttered. He cried. He struggled to pronounce words. His brain retreated into paralyzing spells of fear anytime he was to forced to speak amongst groups. Gradually Howard's head became a fog, and school only made things worse.

"Growing up, I was always in Special Education classes," he says. "I always struggled with learning disabilities. But back in the day, when I was coming up in school, we didn't have autism, ADHD, all these things that we know about now. We didn't have the science to understand it. So if you were any kind of handicapped, or your thoughts were flawed, you were put in Special Education automatically. I went my whole childhood being in Special Education class, basically thinking that I was slow and stupid.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Really, it's so miraculous to me that we understand these issues in a way no one ever has before. I have ADHD and school was so miserable for me because no one understood what was going on, and so I was told I was lazy, that I didn't care, that I should take more pride in my work. I'll never believe there's an epidemic of ADHD and autism, I may not have been able to focus on my work but I was always very attuned to the other kids, and I could name the ones right now who had these issues too and no one realized it. Thank goodness things are changing the way they are.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I am certain my former husband was on the spectrum. He was labeled a behavior problem in the 70s/80s and tracked into lower-level classes (not special education, just classes designed for people not planning on college) despite his being quite intelligent. Nobody ever suggested that he be evaluated for anything.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Is the converse that kids today are too quick to be evaluated and labelled?

Asking an honest question here. Do we (general we) expect too much from our kids and when they can't act like mini adults medicalise them?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts